Multi-room/zone audio system - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 03-08-2013, 02:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, I am completely new to multi-room systems however as I am building a new house I want to dive into this world.

My local hi-fi shop has recommended Sonos, however given that I want to have 6 rooms/zones this seems like an expensive option - plus my understanding is that they are always on drawing 8W per amp.

After doing some research I came across the Dayton Audio MA1240a Multi-Zone 12 Channel Amplifier which looks like a good alternative.

My question is - I would prefer not to have wall mounted controls so can someone recommend an alternative way to control the Dayton please? Your help would be much appreciated, thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 03-08-2013, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT2020 View Post

My local hi-fi shop has recommended Sonos, however given that I want to have 6 rooms/zones this seems like an expensive option - plus my understanding is that they are always on drawing 8W per amp.

As 6-zone solutions go, that's not expensive, given the functionality.
Quote:
After doing some research I came across the Dayton Audio MA1240a Multi-Zone 12 Channel Amplifier which looks like a good alternative.

That's an amp, not a system, nor a "source". If you want inexpensive solutions, look at HTD.com and use Sonos as a source, but it won't be as simple or easy to use...
Quote:
My question is - I would prefer not to have wall mounted controls so can someone recommend an alternative way to control the Dayton please? Your help would be much appreciated, thanks

If you're building a home you should follow the CEA guidelines for pre-wiring for Whole House Audio. At least pre-wire a cat5e cable to potential keypad locations (don't have to expose the wires, just document where they are behind the drywall), so you can change your mind later.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page