Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 03-14-2013, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I posted this earlier...
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1463302/wireless-control-of-music-receiver#post_23081249

If I want to control my receiver/music through my iPad I thought there were multiple apps(such as Roomie) that would do this. Does the receiver only have to be network capable for this? Thanks

beau
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 03-15-2013, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

??

beau
post #3 of 15 Old 03-15-2013, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 341
It has to be network-capable AND has to have a software interface defined/published so that apps like Roomie/iRule can be programmed to talk to it. If you look at the network-supported products list on the iRule site, for example, it will show a list of brands/models that have this available. It's probably horribly incomplete, though, so start with the brand of AVR and do some searches for others that have similar setups.

Just note that iRule / Roomie / etc. are still very much roll-your-own solutions - it will take work on your part to actually implement the solution - it's not a simple drag-and-drop-done like a Harmony.

Jeff
horsegoer likes this.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #4 of 15 Old 03-15-2013, 11:58 AM
DGF

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 39
...I couldn't quite tell from the way you phrased the question if you were assuming this, but if you're planning on using the iPad as your audio source you either need the receiver to be capable of accepting the music stream or you need something like an Apple TV to feed the receiver.
post #5 of 15 Old 03-15-2013, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

To be clearer, I want to be able to control my music AND receiver from iPad such as turning it on, selecting sources etc.

beau
post #6 of 15 Old 03-15-2013, 12:51 PM
DGF

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsegoer View Post

To be clearer, I want to be able to control my music AND receiver from iPad such as turning it on, selecting sources etc.

I do understand that you want to control your receiver and "music", but what will you use for an audio source (or sources)? Unless the receiver you select is one of the few that are capable of accepting an audio stream from the iPad, you'll need additional equipment (you probably know all of this, but I still can't tell if you're just assuming an iPad + standard IP-enabled receiver are all you need - didn't want you to be disappointed! smile.gif)
post #7 of 15 Old 03-15-2013, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Yes I'm thinking iPad, plus app such as Irule, Roomie etc. and pandora , iTunes is all I need to control my music/receiver. No?

beau
post #8 of 15 Old 03-16-2013, 12:54 PM
DGF

Quote:

Yes I'm thinking iPad, plus app such as Irule, Roomie etc. and pandora , iTunes is all I need to control my music/receiver. No?

Maybe yes, maybe no - as I mentioned, the iPad's audio stream needs to be decoded somewhere - this can either be done by a receiver that is specifically designed to handle an iPad generated stream (these are available, but not too common) or you need another piece of hardware to perform the translation of the stream into a format that a standard receiver can handle (optical, RCA, etc.). Just because a receiver is IP-enabled doesn't mean that it can decode what's coming from the iPad - the IP interface is typically used only for control of the basic receiver functions (vol, source, etc.), not as a conduit for audio signals (95%+ of receivers fall into this category).

As an example, I use an iPad to play Pandora - to direct this audio to either my Lexicon pre-amp or my B&K whole house "receiver" I use an Apple TV to translate the iPad's output into something both these devices can understand (in my case an optical signal). I then use Roomie to control the Lexicon and the B&K.

If the receiver you use is Airplay-enabled, like a Yamaha RX-V573, your mental model is correct. If it's not, you need the additional piece of hardware. Again, apologies if you were intending to buy something like this Yamaha anyway (you never specifically mentioned a model), but every time you posted it sounded like you were assuming that all IP-enabled receivers could handle the task.

Dave
post #9 of 15 Old 03-16-2013, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGF View Post

Maybe yes, maybe no - as I mentioned, the iPad's audio stream needs to be decoded somewhere - this can either be done by a receiver that is specifically designed to handle an iPad generated stream (these are available, but not too common) or you need another piece of hardware to perform the translation of the stream into a format that a standard receiver can handle (optical, RCA, etc.). Just because a receiver is IP-enabled doesn't mean that it can decode what's coming from the iPad - the IP interface is typically used only for control of the basic receiver functions (vol, source, etc.), not as a conduit for audio signals (95%+ of receivers fall into this category).

As an example, I use an iPad to play Pandora - to direct this audio to either my Lexicon pre-amp or my B&K whole house "receiver" I use an Apple TV to translate the iPad's output into something both these devices can understand (in my case an optical signal). I then use Roomie to control the Lexicon and the B&K.

If the receiver you use is Airplay-enabled, like a Yamaha RX-V573, your mental model is correct. If it's not, you need the additional piece of hardware. Again, apologies if you were intending to buy something like this Yamaha anyway (you never specifically mentioned a model), but every time you posted it sounded like you were assuming that all IP-enabled receivers could handle the task.

Dave

Dave much appreciated. I'm a little concerned because I closed up my walls and only ran a cat 6 cable to where my ipad is going to be just to provide power over ethernet.....should I have run another cable? But I dont't think the Ipad could really take another cable so maybe I did not screw myself. I do have an Apple TV!!! I just want to be hanging in the house, walk over to the ipad...turn on my receiver, play itunes or pandora and that's it.....pretty much. I do thank you for the help

beau
post #10 of 15 Old 03-16-2013, 05:10 PM
DGF

You're very welcome on the help front - you ask good questions!

All is not lost! .....but depending on the location of your ATV you may need to buy another one (or something similar). As you are no longer in a position to run extra cables, you'll need to place a device to decode the iPad's audio stream near to the receiver. As the iPad and the Apple TV can obviously communicate wirelessly using your existing wi-fi network this part of the chain is already handled, so all you need is a short optical connection from the ATV to your receiver (or an HDMI to analog converter if your receiver doesn't have suitable optical/toslink inputs). I ran with this type of config for ages - I did always feel that I was wasting 50% of the Apple TV's capabilites, but like you, I just wanted the ability to easily play music whenever I wanted.

Dave

[Currently chilling out to Joe Bonamassa playing on my iPad/ATV/Pandora/B&K/B&W/Roomie combo while I write this....... life is good! smile.gif ]
post #11 of 15 Old 03-16-2013, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks .. You da man!!! So It sounds like the receiver does not have to be network capable as Jautor suggested.... At least with the setup you are referring to......hmmmm

beau
post #12 of 15 Old 03-16-2013, 06:24 PM
DGF

Jautor, as usual, is absolutely correct.

I think you're getting confused with actually controlling the receiver and the separate issue of getting an audio stream to the device. Your original question asked about the former - using an app like Roomie, this can be achieved using IP, IR or serial. If the receiver is IP-enabled it can just hang off your network and your iPad can control it without the need for additional hardware (but this ONLY addresses receiver control functions). If the receiver isn't IP-enabled you have to use something like an iTach (wired or wireless) and control it using IR or RS232. You still then need to address the second half of the equation, getting a usable signal to the receiver - this is where the AppleTV comes in.

Does that make sense?

D
post #13 of 15 Old 03-16-2013, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

It does..., thanks. And Jautor is good ....real good.

beau
post #14 of 15 Old 03-16-2013, 11:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:

Thanks .. You da man!!! So It sounds like the receiver does not have to be network capable as Jautor suggested.... At least with the setup you are referring to......hmmmm

If you haven't bought a receiver yet (I can't remember if you had one already or not), do get a network-capable one (not like it's going to be a big price difference), but also choose one with built-in AirPlay support, which will make it super easy to do any and all of the above.
Quote:

It does..., thanks. And Jautor is good ....real good.

smile.gif Thanks for the compliment, and more importantly, for your kind donation to the Houston Food Bank!

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #15 of 15 Old 03-17-2013, 02:19 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Tha
Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

If you haven't bought a receiver yet (I can't remember if you had one already or not), do get a network-capable one (not like it's going to be a big price difference), but also choose one with built-in AirPlay support, which will make it super easy to do any and all of the above.
smile.gif Thanks for the compliment, and more importantly, for your kind donation to the Houston Food Bank!

Jeff

Thanks and no problem at all.

beau
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page