Question on how to get ethernet jack working. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 03-15-2013, 03:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all and thanks in advance for any help given.

I have an ethernet wall jack upstairs that I would like to use, since my router/modem (verizon fios) is in a room downstairs and the signal (WiFi) is very weak upstairs. I checked the master bedroom closet and found the box with all the cables (for directv, fios, etc). I found two ethernet cables 1. labeled TECH, and the 2nd FEED. I have no idea how to get the ethernet jack to work.

A little more information on my current set up as I am confused of how to setup the router/modem etc:
Currently my Verizon router/modem is downstairs in the "office" room. Its attached to a coaxial cable coming from the wall jack that I assume is providing the internet. It is also connected to two desktops via ethernet cable.

Will I need to move the Verizon router/modem upstairs to the master bedroom's closet to get the ethernet wall jack to work? Because if that's the case, I wouldn't be able to do that due to the two desktops downstairs currently using the router via ethernet cable.

Hope I explained myself well, sorry for any confusion.

Once again thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-15-2013, 07:01 AM

Liked: 12
Well, I think we need more info...like where do the wires in the bedroom that you want the ethernet trace back to? Some where along the way you will need to get those cables "active" by plugging into your router or a separate switch.

Also, in the master bedroom where you said all the cables are coming in....I assume that has cabling that goes downstairs to the office where the fios equipment is installed?

If that is the case and also the spare bedroom (where you want the ethernet) also is tied into that master bedroom area, you can simply install a switch in that closet area. Basically your extending the fios from the office downstairs up to the master bedroom area and then over to that new room where you want the ethernet connection?

Hope that makes sense.....you really need to find out where the wires in that spare room terminate to...i am assuming they all tie back to that master bedroom area...if your saying that is the "box" where all the cables are.
post #3 of 4 Old 03-15-2013, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Although slightly dated (ignore the 'Hub' references), this website gives some great info for home networking, from general to specifics.

http://www.swhowto.com/HomeNetWiring_Ch2.htm

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #4 of 4 Old 03-15-2013, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks guys for the replies, I took a photo of the master room's cable box. As you can see there are two ethernet cables that are not connected to anything. I also found out that "TECH" is just labeling for the specific room with the Ethernet wall jack. This is the ONLY room in the house with an Ethernet wall jack. I am unsure what the cable labeled "FEED" would be connected to..

As for the coaxial cable, yes that cable runs from the office room where it is plugged into the Verizon modem all the way to the Master room where it is being connected to another coaxial cable labeled 'FEED', this is inside the "cable box" inside the master bed's closet.

I took a look at the website posted "http://www.swhowto.com/HomeNetWiring_Ch2.htm", but I'm still a little confused on what I can do since I really cant move the router that is downstairs to the master bedroom as I have two desktops connected to that router in the office room. The office room DOES NOT have any Ethernet wall jacks I can take advantage of.
Is there a way I can have two routers? One upstairs next to the "cable box" where all the wires are coming through the wall, and keep my original router/modem downstairs?

Once again thank you guys for all your help, really new at this stuff.

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page