Any MusicPort alternatives that will work with my Nuvo Grand Concerto? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 03-18-2013, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,
I installed a Nuvo GC in my house about 5 years ago, and have the "original" NVMP Music Port server installed. The MusicPort has worked fine about 80% of the time, but i think it has finally given up and stopped working. I haven't changed anything regarding how it's hooked up, or done anything with the computer it's hooked up to. I had long ago set the computer to reboot every evening, which seemed to help. Now, I can't get the keypads or the ipad app to connect. I try to browse to the website, and it says the server isn't running.

I use the MusicPort 90% of the time just to play Pandora throughout the house, with the other 10% playing something from our MP3 library.

Are there any alternatives (from other companies) that will play Pandora and MP3s? The NV-MPS4 is entirely too expensive just to do that, in my opinion.

Any opinions? Thanks for the help!

"Price is what you pay, and value is what you get." -Warren Buffet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 03-18-2013, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 355
If anything, try uninstalling and reinstalling the software. Some other update to Windows may have crapped something up... I also see one of the processes crash occasionally, but a reboot usually fixes it. If you've added music recently, there may be a bad tag that causes a crash (I haven't seen that happen, though).

I too have my server set up to reboot every day or two in the middle of the night to deal with the instability - which seems to come mostly from Windows updates and security / antivirus updates that confuse the Autonomic service into thinking the system's being shutdown...

As to alternatives, there aren't any that will produce metadata or offer keypad control other than the MPS4. I'd really like NuVo to enable a connection between their new wireless units and the GC to get the keypad support with the latest server - but so far nothing from them. Once they publish the network APIs for that unit, I may tackle that myself.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #3 of 13 Old 03-20-2013, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Jautor ... i'll give an uninstall/reinstall a try this weekend. Too bad about no alternatives!

post #4 of 13 Old 03-20-2013, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

I pinged NuVo again today regarding the APIs for the wireless source/systems... They said they're working on it and still plan to release it (and will announce it on Facebook).

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 

post #5 of 13 Old 03-21-2013, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter

That would be great ... really open it up!

post #6 of 13 Old 03-21-2013, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

What I really want them to do is create a NuVoNet bridge option for the P3100, so that it would just work. I think that would be a killer product for them, as it would couple the best keypad implementation (in that product space) with the "modern" streaming/server implementation. I told them I wouldn't blink at a $500 dongle to do that...

post #7 of 13 Old 03-21-2013, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter

Agreed. The P3100 would be perfect if it would tie into the GC and let me use my wall mounted keypads.

post #8 of 13 Old 03-22-2013, 06:49 AM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

I pinged NuVo again today regarding the APIs for the wireless source/systems... They said they're working on it and still plan to release it (and will announce it on Facebook).

That's good. That might sway my decision on Sonos vs NuVo. If they fully release the API the NuVo P3100 could be much more easy to integrate than Sonos.

I wonder if they plan on adding new music sources for their wireless systems...

My Home Theater Build: The Vortex Theater Build
post #9 of 13 Old 03-22-2013, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonJeeper View Post

That's good. That might sway my decision on Sonos vs NuVo. If they fully release the API the NuVo P3100 could be much more easy to integrate than Sonos.

I made this exact point to them. That if they make their wireless/streamer products easier to integrate than Sonos, they can swing a lot of purchase decisions on THAT difference alone. Given, of course, that the basics are covered, which I think they have.

Jeff

post #10 of 13 Old 06-06-2013, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Just an update to anyone beside me and Clemson that are interested... NuVo announced the availability of a published API for the wireless system(s). It's a JSON HTTP interface and first glance is that it's pretty easy to use. Access to the specs is controlled, but you can request access via your dealer.

http://www.cepro.com/article/nuvo_readies_wireless_audio_system_for_integration/K5

post #11 of 13 Old 11-17-2013, 05:05 PM

Just now getting to this posting.

Jautor, I see the benefits of the APIs but it still doesn't get the control to the keypads. Any possible hope of Nuvo getting this in the future? Sure wish they would realize this. I'm actually thinking of Ebay'ing the system I bought and going a different direction
post #12 of 13 Old 11-17-2013, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bholden52 View Post

Just now getting to this posting.

Jautor, I see the benefits of the APIs but it still doesn't get the control to the keypads. Any possible hope of Nuvo getting this in the future? Sure wish they would realize this. I'm actually thinking of Ebay'ing the system I bought and going a different direction

I've relayed the same info and feedback to the NuVo development team and talked to their exec's on the topic at CEDIA. Hopefully I'm not the only one that's told them...

Jeff

post #13 of 13 Old 11-17-2013, 09:26 PM

Liked: 11
Thanks, that is good to know. I'm glad it is JSON - JSON parsers are easy to find.
That may open up some possibilities.
(It was pretty simple to write a C#/netdruno interface to a DirecTv box using JSON)
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page