Wiring a home under construction - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 03-23-2013, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
We are having a new home built by a national builder and unfortunately we did not buy speaker pre-wire originally, then changed our minds, but they said it's too late to add it in the construction stage. It's still very early in the process, plumbing was just done, electrical is next week, but apparently it's too late.

What I'd like to do is go there one weekend and hang up some speaker wires myself and take note of where I put them so after we close, I can add the speakers myself. I'm thinking they won't let me do this, but I guess I could ask the construction manager? The other thought that crossed my mind is to go in after they put the drywall up but before insulation is blown into the attic and lay down wires that way, they would probably never even know.

Any advice if I end up doing this? I was thinking just laying out the wire to the spots I need and then dropping it down from the attic between the wall space in different rooms. I think I would also need a wire for the in-wall volume control? Or can that be added later? Not sure how the speaker volume control fits into the wiring...say I want two speakers in multiple rooms, each with it's own volume control, but they all have to go back to a central spot where the receiver will be. I guess I need a diagram, anyone have one for something like this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 03-23-2013, 10:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Definitely talk with your project manager - lots of things that are "impossible" for the sales staff become "no big deal"...

I wouldn't recommend running any wires without talking to the project manager first - they can get upset or otherwise rip stuff out. Running wires after drywall (but before insulation) might save you a bit of work, but not a lot. You really want to get this done pre-drywall.

Here's a basic diagram:

You should be looking at additional cat5e runs throughout the house while you're on the topic. But sounds like you don't have much time. Monoprice is your friend for all of these types of in-wall-rated wiring.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page