Whole Home Audio Setup Advice - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 03-24-2013, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello All.

I recently bought a new home and I had them wire the house for speakers & volume controls in three rooms and the outdoor room. All of the speaker wires were run to a box with a "home run" wire down to my den. I had originally thought I was going to run the whole home from my office where my computer is, but, I'm having second thoughts and just using a speaker selector/speaker connection box because I'm worried about power/loudness.

I purchased a Yamaha RX-A820 Receiver for my home theater room and now that I have that, I think I want to re-run all of the speaker wires down to that room, connect a multi-channel amplifier to it's Zone 2 out and then have volume controls in each room. From here, I will be able to connect to my PC (whole house wired for internet too) and access the 6,000 albums I have there. I have a few limitations on the amplifier though, it can't be deeper than 14 1/2" if I move to my theater room.

Two questions:

1) What amp/VC combo would be recommended with no size limitations?
2) Same questions, but with the size limitation of 14 1/2" deep?

I have not selected speakers for these rooms either, so if there is any advice there, I'll take it. I want nice sounding music in the house, not just the "background" type.

I have searched and searched this topic and there seem to be so many options, I'd just like to see "this, this and this..." would work well together sort of thing.

Thanks for any and all advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-24-2013, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 340
With simple in-wall volume controls and an AVR's 'Zone2' output, there's no real advantage to a multichannel amp. Just use volume controls that include "impedance-matching", as your Yamaha AVR already has a 100W/ch amp for Zone2.

For in-ceiling speakers lots of folks have been happy with the Monoprice speakers (I haven't heard them, but their construction appears very similar to other decent models, like the NuVo speakers I have in many rooms). Avoid the <$99 speakers at Home Depot / Best Buy.

The step up from there I'd recommend Boston Acoustics and Definitive Tech, from my personal experience. Both brands were a noticeable upgrade in sound quality for me.

Start with 6.5" in-ceiling speakers, though, as there are lots of upgrade options available in both 6.5" and larger. I started with 8" speakers in most rooms, which limited my upgrade options as I had to pick 8" that would also fill the cutout I had already made.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #3 of 7 Old 03-24-2013, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Jeff.

So, it sounds like you think I should just use the speaker connector block that I have and just run speaker cable from the zone 2 to it and then out to the four zones.

Will I have enough power to run all zones at the same time?

Good advice on the speaker sizes, I have really big open rooms and 10ft ceilings, does that change your thoughts?
post #4 of 7 Old 03-24-2013, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliams22 View Post

Will I have enough power to run all zones at the same time?

Probably, but we're talking about background music levels or enough for a party. Now, that will depend on your definition of 'party'. smile.gif
Quote:
Good advice on the speaker sizes, I have really big open rooms and 10ft ceilings, does that change your thoughts?

Depends on "big" and "open". I put four speakers in my ~20x18 game room, but two would probably have been fine, too. Same issue as above - 100W spread among four rooms enough for a cocktail party, not enough for a rave. biggrin.gif

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 

post #5 of 7 Old 03-24-2013, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter

I guess I can give that a go first.

What setup do you have, speaker selector or one of those connection blocks?

Do you know how many watts end up at each speaker when I use the 100w zone 2 and then run all zones?
post #6 of 7 Old 03-24-2013, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliams22 View Post

What setup do you have, speaker selector or one of those connection blocks?

Neither. I have a whole-house audio (WHA) system with 8 zones.
Quote:
Do you know how many watts end up at each speaker when I use the 100w zone 2 and then run all zones?

Roughly you divide the power among the speakers. But most WHA systems have amps of 20-40W/ch, so you can see you're in that range. You typically won't be pulling more than a few watts under normal conditions anyway.

Jeff

post #7 of 7 Old 03-24-2013, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter

Cool deal.

Thanks for the advice, I'll update when I figure this thing out!
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page