Basement build cabling question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 03-24-2013, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Gotta few questions about my cabling for my basement build. I have run 4 drops of 3/4" smurf tube. I wanna drop cat 5e or cat 6 down a few, can I put both in 1 tube? Or should I put rg6 and cat 5or6 in one together?
I will have my tv, blu ray, stream box and DTV box to this area. How many runs of coxial and cat cable would you drop to this area. Thanis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-24-2013, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 246
No reason not to put it all in one tube (up to the capacity of the tube, of course). As to how many, just count up the number of jacks you have to feed...
post #3 of 7 Old 03-24-2013, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

Oh forgot one more question. Do I need a shielded cable for this bulid. Currently I have a box of comtran cat 5e Riser. Good cable?
post #4 of 7 Old 03-24-2013, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunted Duck View Post

Gotta few questions about my cabling for my basement build. I have run 4 drops of 3/4" smurf tube. I wanna drop cat 5e or cat 6 down a few, can I put both in 1 tube? Or should I put rg6 and cat 5or6 in one together?

If you're running new cables plus conduit now, run all your cables OUTSIDE the conduits, leave those empty for the future. If that's not the case, then, no problem stuffing a conduit full of those wires...
Quote:
I will have my tv, blu ray, stream box and DTV box to this area. How many runs of coxial and cat cable would you drop to this area. Thanis

If this "basement build" is a theater or otherwise a primary A/V location (which I assume it is), at least 4 cat5e/cat6 lines and 2RG6. And no one here would laugh at you for running a couple more of each, either... smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunted Duck View Post

Oh forgot one more question. Do I need a shielded cable for this bulid. Currently I have a box of comtran cat 5e Riser. Good cable?

No need for shielded cables. Cable is fine, nothing special...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #5 of 7 Old 03-24-2013, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses. Yeah I've already put 1 rg6 cable in 3 of them all ready. So would you stick with the cat 5e or I can get cat 6 tomorrow at HD. I've found out 3/4 isn't big enough for HDMI. So I've read something about going hdmi over cat 5.

Thanks again, Jeff
post #6 of 7 Old 03-24-2013, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 369
If you already have the cat5e on-hand use it. If you need to run HDMI over cat5e, run two cables per room to give you the most flexibility. The best HDMI-over-cat5e devices are the HDBaseT products that work with a single cable. But there are much cheaper solutions that can do the job but they will need two cables. And a third if you want Ethernet to those locations as well. (HDBaseT does all of that on one cable)

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #7 of 7 Old 03-24-2013, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Jautor. I will go ahead and you the cable I have and drop 3 or 4 lines behind the main tv in the basement.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page