advice and hardware recommendations please - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 03-24-2013, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have 3 primary areas and 2 secondary areas of concern:

Living Room
2x cat5 behind TV
ceiling is wired for 2 speakers

Family Room
2x cat5 behind TV

Master Bedroom
2x cat5 behind TV

Master Bathroom
1x cat5 behind TV

Home Office

First, as far as audio goes I already own two Sonos ZP100 which I've had for 6-7 years. I plan to pick up another Connect:AMP for the 3 main zones, and then a PLAY:3/5 for the Home Office. I can't decide what In-Ceiling speakers I should choose. I see people recommending the Polk RC80i a lot. Are these speakers too much for the Sonos amps? Would the RC60i be better suited? What about the monoprice 6.5" or 8" kevlar speakers?

Also, in the family room I was thinking about getting a Sonos PLAYBAR for the TV. Could the PLAYBAR be synced with the two ceiling speakers for a 3.0 or a 3.1 system if I add a sub? I've read that most TVs only output two channel audio, so I think there might be a hold up there.

For the living room, would two in ceiling speakers pair well with a SONOS sub? The speakers in the living room will be exclusively used for music, so just wondering if adding a sub to those two speakers would be worthwhile.

Second, for distributed video I am thinking a 4x4 matrix over cat5 would be perfect. The only hangup for seems to be that my Master Bathroom TV only has 1xcat5. I've looked into the HDAnywhere solution but the price seems crazy since I only need it for one room. Would it be possible to use a standard 4x4 matrix and attach a singlewire extender to the output for the Master Bathroom TV?

Can anyone recommend some well reviewed 4x4 matrix switches? I don't think I have any special needs as far as that goes, I just want something that is reliable.

As far as inputs on the matrix I will have a couple HD satellite receivers (Bell ExpressVU) and a custom HTPC. Are there any smart remotes out there that can be programmed to switch sources on the switch and have a keypad + mouse for HTPC use? If not, I think I can get away with almost any harmony remote and then use my smart phone(s) and ipad(s) with compatible apps to control the HTPC once the source is switched. Does that sound right?

I'm looking to clear up any confusions / questions I have and then put together a hardware list for purchasing. Sorry if that was confusing, any input is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 03-25-2013, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been searching around online and I'm having problems finding Canadian retailers that sell 4x4 matrix switches. I'm a little concerned about spending $500+ ordering one of this only to have it not work and need to be shipped back on my dime.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page