Pre-wire how to? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 03-27-2013, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Im getting ready to run some speaker wire to various rooms in our under-construction house and I want to make sure I do this right.
The builder already wired CAT5 to various rooms and also speaker wire/volume control for the patio, but no other rooms.

I bought some 14/4 and 14/2 in-wall CL2 rated speaker wire from Monoprice and my plan is to run the 14/4 wire from the media wall outlet area (where the builder ran the wires to) to each room, down the wall to an area where a volume control will go, and then 14/2 wire from the volume control to the ceiling in two spots (for two speakers per room). That is all that is needed right? Want to make sure I'm not leaving something out.

I figure I'll run the wires along the same route the builder used and tie them with zip ties to the same anchor points that they did, plus use some foam insulation for the holes I make.

Here are some pictures from how the builder wired and left everything...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-27-2013, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Run a cat5e cable to any volume control location in addition to the speaker wires. You want the ability to add keypads instead of being limited to just simple volume controls in the future.

And yes, wire as many zones as you can - it will never be this cheap or easy to do, and for most folks, if it's not pre-wired, it will never get done.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #3 of 7 Old 03-27-2013, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter

Are there cables available that have 14/4 wire inside and also CAT5 all wrapped up in one? I am assuming that is what the builder installed as it's a big fat purple cable and it says 16/4 on the side but has a lot more wires inside the sleeve. That would definitely make it a lot easier than running two cables (14/4 & CAT5)

Edit: Wow, looks like there is that kind of cable, and it's expensive as hell! eek.gif

http://www.cablingplus.com/products/14-4-cat5e-structured-cable
post #4 of 7 Old 03-27-2013, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

Also, was it overkill to go with 14 gauge wire? My longest run will probably be in the 40' range.
post #5 of 7 Old 03-27-2013, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post

Are there cables available that have 14/4 wire inside and also CAT5 all wrapped up in one? I am assuming that is what the builder installed as it's a big fat purple cable and it says 16/4 on the side but has a lot more wires inside the sleeve. That would definitely make it a lot easier than running two cables (14/4 & CAT5)

Edit: Wow, looks like there is that kind of cable, and it's expensive as hell! eek.gif

Yes, there is. And YES, it is... Which is why we don't see it used very much. Pulling two wires to the same location isn't a big deal, especially when it's DIY labor. wink.gif
Quote:

Also, was it overkill to go with 14 gauge wire? My longest run will probably be in the 40' range.

Yes, but it certainly doesn't hurt anything.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 

post #6 of 7 Old 03-27-2013, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

Yes, but it certainly doesn't hurt anything.

Except my wallet...the 14/4 was about twice the price of 16/4. mad.giftongue.gif
post #7 of 7 Old 03-27-2013, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Except my wallet...the 14/4 was about twice the price of 16/4. mad.giftongue.gif

Use a Sharpie and write "MONSTER" a few times on the cable. Then you'll feel like you got a bargain! biggrin.gif

Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page