Speaker wire/cat6 for remodel - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 23 Old 03-29-2013, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello, Im a newbie to the sight and have gained a wealth of knowledge as far as what to use, how and where to get it for my remodel however Im a little confused about some of the differences of speaker wire and cat 6. First of all im running everyting in the wall. Im using Klipsch in wall speakers for a 5.1 setup and Im also going to run cat 6 for all of my av/internet needs. My first question is does it really matter if my speaker wire is shielded for in wall use. My longest run will not be over 40 feet. I ordered a roll of 12 awg from monoprice and was going to use it and while talking to their tech support about the cat 6 and they said that i should have ordered the in wall sheilded instead of the regular speaker wire that I had already ordered. I was disconnected and when i talked to another person from monoprice they said that what I had was just fine however they would allow me to exchange it. As far as cat 6, all of my runs are going to be in the wall. I am going with the shielded as it just seems like a better option for only 40 bucks more, or am I just wasting the money? I realize i cant go over 300 feet but is there a special type of cat 6 that I need? I didnt realize their were so many different options. Thanks in advance for any light anybody can shed on this.

Eric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 03-29-2013, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierra tango ii View Post

...does it really matter if my speaker wire is shielded for in wall use.
No, you don't need shielded speaker cable. You do need in-wall cable with a CL2 or CL3 rating. AFAIK monoprice does not have shielded speaker wire. Could be the monoprice rep doesn't now the difference.
Quote:
As far as cat 6...I am going with the shielded as it just seems like a better option for only 40 bucks more, or am I just wasting the money?
You are wasting your money unless you are properly terminating it with grounding plugs and the equipment you are using it with is designed to ground the cable shield (most aren't). The added capacitance won't help performance either. Cat 6 UTP will handle gigabit ethernet just fine.
post #3 of 23 Old 03-29-2013, 01:59 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 75
12 Ga in wall cable for your speakers is a very good choice. I used 14 Ga. for mine. In wall speaker cable is usually twisted within the sheath to prevent noise cancellation at audio frequency's, I see no need for shielding. How do you connect the shield anyways? I also see no need for Cat 6 Shielded cable. Again, how do you connect the shield? I have never used shielded speaker or Cat wire and have no problems. If someone here says there is a need for shielded wire, please speak up.

As far as in wall speakers, I am a fan of them for the surrounds. Less clutter in the room. I once stated that the surrounds are only for effects and was called narrow minded on this site for my views. I do believe the fronts should be stand alone speakers. Just my opinions, Fellow Audio Nut.

Hey, a new word, FAN !

(LCD - Sony KDL - XBR4) (Receiver - Sony STR-DA4ES)(Blu Ray - Oppo BDP-83) (PS3)( Dish Hopper DVR With Sling) Speakers (L & R - Paradigm Studio 20) (Center -Paradigm CC-470) (Surrounds & Back Surrounds - Paradigm SA-15R in walls) (Subwoofer 1 - Sunfire HRS-12) (Subwoofer 2 - Paradigm PW-2100)
post #4 of 23 Old 03-29-2013, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 68
Quote:
In wall speaker cable is usually twisted within the sheath to prevent noise cancellation at audio frequency's

twisted pairs aren't magic.
Low impedance circuits aren't susceptible to induced noise.
post #5 of 23 Old 04-01-2013, 12:52 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierra tango ii View Post

Hello, Im a newbie to the sight and have gained a wealth of knowledge as far as what to use, how and where to get it for my remodel however Im a little confused about some of the differences of speaker wire and cat 6. First of all im running everyting in the wall. Im using Klipsch in wall speakers for a 5.1 setup and Im also going to run cat 6 for all of my av/internet needs. My first question is does it really matter if my speaker wire is shielded for in wall use. My longest run will not be over 40 feet. I ordered a roll of 12 awg from monoprice and was going to use it and while talking to their tech support about the cat 6 and they said that i should have ordered the in wall sheilded instead of the regular speaker wire that I had already ordered. I was disconnected and when i talked to another person from monoprice they said that what I had was just fine however they would allow me to exchange it. As far as cat 6, all of my runs are going to be in the wall. I am going with the shielded as it just seems like a better option for only 40 bucks more, or am I just wasting the money? I realize i cant go over 300 feet but is there a special type of cat 6 that I need? I didnt realize their were so many different options. Thanks in advance for any light anybody can shed on this.

Eric

Make sure your receiver can utilize 12 AWG wire. My buddy got that by mistake from Monoprice and said he had a hell of a time trying to get hooked up to the receiver. He hadnt actually cut any length off of it so hes going to send it back and get the 16 AWG we meant to get for him.

post #6 of 23 Old 04-01-2013, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
He hadnt actually cut any length off of it so hes going to send it back and get the 16 AWG we meant to get for him.

Why not just remove a few strands from the end?
post #7 of 23 Old 04-01-2013, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAM64 View Post

Why not just remove a few strands from the end?

He would know and it would bug him. He's anal like that.

post #8 of 23 Old 04-01-2013, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Crimp some lugs on?
post #9 of 23 Old 04-02-2013, 06:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 76
+1, banana plugs

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #10 of 23 Old 04-02-2013, 07:04 AM

He also got some of the screw on banana plugs but said he had to struggle to get the wire to feed through the base of it.

post #11 of 23 Old 04-02-2013, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colm View Post

AFAIK monoprice does not have shielded speaker wire.

It may be that "shielded" means something beyond my understanding, but I just ordered this at monoprice yesterday:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10239&cs_id=1023902&p_id=2819&seq=1&format=2

I wanted the CL2 rating for in-wall because even though I'm not running very far and don't expect this to cause any issues, I don't want to give my insurance company anything to complain about if there's a fire (even if started by something entirely different).
post #12 of 23 Old 04-02-2013, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

You got the right thing. That cable is not shielded. It has a jacket, or sheath, that helps protect the wires when pulling through walls, ceilings, etc., and minimizes the smoke generated in a fire. A shield is a metallic covering that goes around a wire, or a bundle of wires, that is used to minimize the effect of noise.
post #13 of 23 Old 04-02-2013, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colm View Post

You got the right thing. That cable is not shielded. It has a jacket, or sheath, that helps protect the wires when pulling through walls, ceilings, etc., and minimizes the smoke generated in a fire. A shield is a metallic covering that goes around a wire, or a bundle of wires, that is used to minimize the effect of noise.

Gotcha, thanks!
post #14 of 23 Old 04-02-2013, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogerBomb View Post

He would know and it would bug him. He's anal like that.

so he'd rather use a higher gauge cable instead? There's some weird logic.
post #15 of 23 Old 04-02-2013, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAM64 View Post

so he'd rather use a higher gauge cable instead? There's some weird logic.

The 16 AWG wire that he now has on the way, will be a bit smaller than the 12AWG wire, that he sent back.

post #16 of 23 Old 04-02-2013, 07:18 PM

Quote:

The 16 AWG wire that he now has on the way, will be a bit smaller than the 12AWG wire, that he sent back.

Quite a bit smaller.
post #17 of 23 Old 04-03-2013, 03:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, that's what "higher gauge" means. Like I said, weird logic. The goal is to reduce the resistance of the speaker cable, not increase it.
post #18 of 23 Old 04-03-2013, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytrooper View Post

12 Ga in wall cable for your speakers is a very good choice. I used 14 Ga. for mine. In wall speaker cable is usually twisted within the sheath to prevent noise cancellation at audio frequency's, I see no need for shielding. How do you connect the shield anyways? I also see no need for Cat 6 Shielded cable. Again, how do you connect the shield? I have never used shielded speaker or Cat wire and have no problems. If someone here says there is a need for shielded wire, please speak up.

As far as in wall speakers, I am a fan of them for the surrounds. Less clutter in the room. I once stated that the surrounds are only for effects and was called narrow minded on this site for my views. I do believe the fronts should be stand alone speakers. Just my opinions, Fellow Audio Nut.

Hey, a new word, FAN !

I believe some Baluns support and/or require the use of shielded category cable. You are correct though, unless the devices on each end support shielded cable, its a waste because the ground will float instead of being terminated.
post #19 of 23 Old 04-03-2013, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter

Im sorry, I meant sheathed not sheilded. I did send the 12awg back and re-ordered the 12 in wall rated sheathed wire. Ive been so consumed with remodeling this house over the past few years that its starting to eat at me. I originally was just going to snake some RG6 for cable, and then that turned into cat6, and cat 5, then in wall speakers which led me to buying a complete Klipsch in wall 5.1 setup that quite frankly I may have never even bothered to do had I not started scrounging around websites. Its almost a double edged sword. At this point I have everything drywalled except the lower 3 feet due to trying to figure out what to run, why and for what. I appreciate any and all advice and had it not been for this sight I would not be where I am. I am excited to finish this project, but I also need to finish this project.
post #20 of 23 Old 04-03-2013, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, common mistake. Sounds like you had quite an adventure. But you are almost there. The results will be worth it all.
post #21 of 23 Old 04-03-2013, 03:22 PM

Just put a 16 X 24 addition on my home. It was fun to run the cabling while the walls were open. I over wired and hopefully everything is good for the future. Bottom line, don't skimp on your wiring.

(LCD - Sony KDL - XBR4) (Receiver - Sony STR-DA4ES)(Blu Ray - Oppo BDP-83) (PS3)( Dish Hopper DVR With Sling) Speakers (L & R - Paradigm Studio 20) (Center -Paradigm CC-470) (Surrounds & Back Surrounds - Paradigm SA-15R in walls) (Subwoofer 1 - Sunfire HRS-12) (Subwoofer 2 - Paradigm PW-2100)
post #22 of 23 Old 04-03-2013, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter

Agreed. I didnt want to run both cat 5 and 6 so i just ran 4 cat 6 and 2 rg 6 to each. I think this is overkill enough. I know alot of people run cat 5, but I had an abundance of 6. I hope thats ok.
post #23 of 23 Old 04-03-2013, 05:38 PM

Yes, Cat 6 will future proof your home. I used Cat 5E Belden Media Twist in which each pair is bonded together. Pain in the butt to work with, splitting the pairs to punch down, but good stuff. ( Leftovers from where I worked ) Ha Ha. Very expensive. You also ran 2 RG6's. Good move. Your good to go! One more thing, your speakers. If you can pre wire for 7.1, do it. i love my 7.1 system. It's up to you. Have fun !

You say you been consumed by all this, but someday when it's all over you will sit back and say WOW !

Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page