Using Zone 2 to Power 2 Pairs of Outdoor Speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 03-29-2013, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Apologies, I posted this in a similar thread, but got no responses.

I need to power 2 pairs of backyard speakers off the same amp. The amp is in the living room and has 1 pair of CAT 5E and 1 pair of 4 conductor running to a junction box near the back door. In the junction box, there are 2 pairs (4 total) of 2 wire conductor that run to the 2 pairs of speakers (see attached diagram).

I have the following equipment (see attached picture)

AV Receiver: Yamaha RX 659 with Zone 2 (internal amp with 1 set of Zone 2/Presence speaker connections) (presently powers inside 5.1 setup (Boston Acoustics 8 ohm)

Outside: 2 pairs of speakers (4 total) Yamaha NS-AW390 6 ohms nominal input 40 w, maximum input, crossover 3khz.

2 Volume Controls: 1 for each pair of outside speakers: Monoprice RMS100 Impedence Input 2 channels, 100 watts per channel Output 2 channels, 4 to 16 ohms impedance matching Frequency Response 35 Hz to 20 kHz (+0/-2 db) at rated power

Wiring: (4 wire cable + CAT 5e) x 2 from wall to volume control box, then 2 wire (black/red)x 2 to outside speakers.

I can't spend any more money, but if need to, can repurpose a AudioSource AMP100 (Don't want to as it in the bedroom for the squeezebox and will power a second pair for the bathroom speakers).

Questions so I don't blow anything up! I reached out to Yamaha support and their answers are below in bold and italics.

1. Can I power both pairs of outside speakers without adding another amp using the internal amp on the AV receiver? (has only one L+R) by wring two Rs into the right and 2 Ls into the left, and how do I do this given I have a 4 wire running between the amp and the volume control?

Yamaha said: We only recommend using one pair of 6 to 8 ohm speakers and do not support a speaker selector box.

2. What do I set the impedence matching to on the volume control and the AV receiver?

3. Is there and issue with the 8 ohm speakers on the inside and 6 ohm speakers outside or will the impedence matching volume controls fix this?

Yamaha said: "Yes, it will over driver the receiver"

Monoprice said: In regards to your inquiry, since the amp is a 8ohm amp then it would not be a issue with running the speakers that are going to be used and 8ohm and 6ohms speakers would not be a issue. Also the impedance matching should be set to 8ohms and would be x2 on the volume controller.

4. What's the 2 CAT 5E for? Future proof?

Thanks in advance!

Sunil

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-29-2013, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 344
According to the manual, the amp is 4/6-ohm stable (there's a setup option you'll need to select), so connecting two pairs of 4 or 6-ohm speakers with the impedance-matching volume controls will work fine. Note that some folks have not had great luck with the Monoprice controls (they didn't seem to do the impedance-matching...), but don't know if that was a single unit, a different model, or something else. Do some checking on those.

The cat5e cable to the volume control location is for a keypad or in-wall amp (Abus / Digi5). So yes, futureproofing...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #3 of 4 Old 04-01-2013, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Jeff,

Thanks
Should I change the amp to 6 ohm even though the 5.1 system it is connected to has Boston Accoustics 8 ohm speakers (living room)? Would that cause a problem with the inside living room system?

Does the suggestion by monoprice seem reasonable in terms of setting the volume controls?

I am going to tackle the project after tax day
post #4 of 4 Old 06-25-2013, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter

Update and advice needed:

I have the 2 pairs of speakers as listed above. I'll Call them Lawn L+R, and Patio L+R.
Outside: 2 pairs of speakers (4 total) Yamaha NS-AW390 6 ohms nominal input 40 w, maximum input, crossover 3khz.

I had an old Sony STR DE875 AVR in storage, I set that up to play music outside to Patio L+R, and it works fine. I have not put in the volume controls yet, nor the Lawn L+R. no Subwoofer.

Specs on the Sony : •100 watts x 2 (stereo) into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.09% THD — or 100 watts x 5 in surround mode

My question is this, the Sony STR DE-875 does not have a "all channel stereo" or 2nd room function. I want to play both Patio L+R and Lawn L+R, and was disappointed that it was not able to (all my other AVRs have a "all channel stereo" mode, where I can out put music to the back surround channels at the same.

If I wire both sets of the 6 ohm speakers parallel into the Sony AVR, that will drop the impedance to: 6*6/6+6 = 3 ohms. If I set the impedance of the Sony AVR to 4 ohms, will I still be in a safe range (currently set at 8 ohms)? Is the 1 ohm difference a problem?

I like the volume of the current set up (Lawn L+R plugged into the front, will changing the Ohms to 4 and adding the Lawn L+R be an issue, how about the volume controls, they only go down to 4 ohms?

Or do I have to buy a separate amp like the Sherwood RX-5502 Multi-Room Stereo Receiver (Don't want to spend any more money!)
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page