Need thoughts on proper way to run cables around joist - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 03-30-2013, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I would like to run cable for a tv hung on a wall in my bedroom. I have an issue that I would like the proper advice for.
Here are some details:

The bedroom wall that I am using has access to it on the other side. Meaning the other side is my stairway to the basement and it has a section without sheetrock. That being said, I can clearly see the bottom plate of the wall and it rests on a sheet of plywood and then a double joist directly under it. I really do not want to drill several holes or a big hole in the joist for cable. I may drill on an angle through it for one electric run .

So the question would be, Is it proper to run the cables down the wall and out the back in the open access cavity and through the plywood floor to the basement? and then put a pvc pipe to hold the wires together around the joists fro my run.

It would leave a 2 inch hole in the plywood maybe 1 1/2.

1 HDMI
2 CAT 6 ( 1 of them for IR)
1 RF.

That is all that is needed at this time - with it being open - it is easy to change when needed,

does anyone have thoughts?

I heard my plans were not the way your supposed to do it with code.
They suggested I drilled a few holes on an angle through the joists.

Thanks

Here is a pic:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-31-2013, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 77
I think you mean bottom plate, and not joist, but I could be wrong.

You could drill 2 smaller holes. Get an HDMI cable, and measure the connector end, to determine the size you'll need, for the larger hole. Skip the PVC conduit, unless you plan to drywall that open stud bay. Conduit is for future cable runs; keep the conduit empty if you install conduit.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #3 of 9 Old 03-31-2013, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. Actually under the bottom plate you see in the pic is a double floor joist (2 -2x8's) that is run in parallel to that bottom plate. The 2x8 are nailed together and I did not want to driil a few holes in those floor joists under the bottom wall plate . I wanted to go around it. Just not sure if that is the correct way. Here is another pic. Thanks again. Appreciate any thoughts.

post #4 of 9 Old 03-31-2013, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Ah, I see the predicament.

Are you sure the bottom plate is exactly over the double joist? You could drill some tiny holes in the plywood floor, next to the bottom plate. Pass a small gauge conductor (e.g. stripped 22 AWG) through the drilled holes, to help find them from below. I use some colored wire (jewelry making wire from an arts and craft store) for this, to help find it.

I don't know what your stairway looks like, but you could use some rigid or flex PVC conduit to help protect the cables in the stud bay, if there is some foot traffic nearby. Covering the open stud bay, near the bottom, with a large metal plate, may also do the trick. These are sold at HD/Lowes, and are used to protect pipes from nails (kind of like a large nail plate). They're usually near the Sampson tie plates, if you can find those at HD/Lowes.

If the bottom plate is directly over the double joists, I'd do a couple angled cable holes, trying to avoid the double joist as much as possible. Not a big issue, IMHO.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #5 of 9 Old 03-31-2013, 06:46 PM

Furr out that wall and then drill your holes through the bottom plate of your new wall (if you can furr out the wall' hard to tell by photo). If those floor joists are directly below that bottom plate, you won't be able to drill any holes through the bottom plate of that existing wall...or at least I wouldn't'.
post #6 of 9 Old 03-31-2013, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys. This space is empty cavity that is under the upper stairway platform. I use it for light storage. Its not big in height 12 - 15 inches and has 3 - 4 feet deep. It could be tough to get in to furr it out. I will add a pic at the bottom.

The joists are directly below it. So why can't I just drill a few holes in that plywood for video.

An electrition told me that it is not code. Buts its not a living space and no one could reach in.

The PVC pipe was just to hold the wires ins place as I run the wires down the joist to the. equipment. So I don't have to clamp them up here and there.

post #7 of 9 Old 04-01-2013, 07:46 AM

I would drill through the plywood, it's low voltage cable. Like you said, you can put it in conduit to protect it if you are worried about possible damage. You can ask your electrician what's not "code". If that space is only 12 to 15" high I don't see much of a problem. If it was 120V wire, then ya, I could see the issue with exposed wiring.
post #8 of 9 Old 04-01-2013, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Through plywood floor is fine. After you run the cables through the plywood, you need to fill the hole with fire-rated caulk, to meet code requirements. Choose a caulk that says 'fire rated' on the label. No conduit needed, in that unfinished space, or in the room below. But, conduit may look nicer, below, if you have esthetic concerns in your closet.

post #9 of 9 Old 04-01-2013, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks - Those thoughts were my original plan. But I was stopped. and then second guessed myself.

I appreciate it.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page