New construction input - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 04-02-2013, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hey guys.

I'm building a new home and in a couple weeks will be doing my wiring.

I have built before and ran my wiring with plans on doing some WHA and an HT. Never happened.

Given that, I planned to keep this next build extremely simple: HT wiring for 7.2. That was it.

Now, as it always seems is the case, I've put myself down a rabbit hole, convincing myself I need to do cat6 runs for every room should I ever decide to go WHA, controlled lighting, or the like.

My question then is simply: how would you guys suggest going a out this? My HT is upstairs with a media closet. I won't be purchasing immediately; ill be adding components as I go to keep costs down.

If standard cat6 controls lighting as well as doubles as speaker wire and HDMI use, should I run 3 runs to each room to one box or space the locations out?

I want to keep this budget at a minimum. Enough to cover wiring and wall plates. But is there anything I really must purchase in addition now that needs to be ran in the walls or is the wiring pretty much it?

TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-02-2013, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Speaker wire should be run in addition to cat5e for WHA. You'll want the cat5e for control pads, but you absolutely want speaker wire for speakers.

Post a diagram or a list of the rooms and what wiring you're planning to get some more specific advice. There are tons of threads in this forum on the subject, so you can find a lot already written. And check the cocoontech Wiring Your House pages.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 3 Old 04-24-2013, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Most WHA uses a single CAT5 for a wall keypad control. Speakers use in-wall 2-conductor cables. It's common to run a CAT5 and a 4-conductor wire to a desired keypad location, and then branch the 2-conductors from there for speakers. Otherwise you'd just run the two separate 2-conductor lines back for each speaker.

I just ran mine and I pulled a combo CAT5 & 16/4 cable to all 'near' locations (~50ft). For the far locations I ran a separate CAT5 and 14/4. For background-level audio you really don't need heavier gauge wire. You can certainly run it, and it won't harm anything, but you'll have the added hassle of the cable's bulk to contend with. I also ran a 2nd CAT5 to each control in the event something needs more than just one in the future (or a nearby Power-over-ethernet device). Wire is cheap to install when a house is being built....

For surround sound setups I ran 12/2 for each speaker back to the amp location. I plan on using an automatic A/B switch in those locations to allow using the same speakers for both surround sound and WHA situations. This to avoid having to install a 2nd set of speakers just for WHA, or have to power up the whole receiver for simple background music situations.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page