Satellite (DSS) Pre-wire explanation? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 25 Old 04-04-2013, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
We're building a new home and one of the structured wiring options we chose was the "Satellite (DSS) Pre-wire" because we didn't want to later on have to run coax around the outside of the house. Are there any other benefits to the pre-wire...anything "cool" features it can do?

The description says:

Four RG-6 Coaxial cables homerun from the side of the home to the OnQ Distribution Panel to enable satellite distribution throughout the house.

So this basically just runs the 4 coax cables from the south side of the house to the distribution panel, and from there you use a splitter to get it all the rooms that you want satellite TV in? Why does it have 4 cables...what's the purpose of that?

Thanks for the input and sorry for the noob questions. tongue.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 04-04-2013, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 44
They run 4 cables because some sat dishes use a four LNB system. A lot of the newer ones, like Directv, use a single system called a SWM LNB system (or swim). But it's wise to run 4 lines.
Once in the panel, they can use a splitter, but it is wise to let they sat provider set it all up.
post #3 of 25 Old 04-04-2013, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Clarification - SWM setups can use common coax splitters, other switched-LNB systems (everything prior to the SWM-enabled dish) can NOT be split in that manner. They would require a multiswitch with all coax feeds (four) from the dish to the distribution point, and all the receivers (more than 4) attached to the multiswitch outputs.

Hopefully any new install would start with a SWM dish, but just in case...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #4 of 25 Old 04-04-2013, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter

Went by the house a little earlier and took some pictures...so of course now a few more questions. smile.gif

There is also a green wire that seems to go from where the satellite dish will mount to...the laundry room dryer outlet? I assume it's a ground wire? Odd that they would run it clear to the other side of the house, there weren't other outlets closer?

Then here is the panel, pretty standard stuff I assume.

Another thing of curiosity is that there are two CAT5E cables running from the panel to the side of the house where the cable TV coax is also ran, but each has it's own outlet. Why would CAT5E be ran to the side of the house? Is it for internet (DSL?) or what?

Cable TV/Coax on the left, CAT5E on the right.

post #5 of 25 Old 04-04-2013, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post

Another thing of curiosity is that there are two CAT5E cables running from the panel to the side of the house where the cable TV coax is also ran, but each has it's own outlet. Why would CAT5E be ran to the side of the house? Is it for internet (DSL?) or what?

Telephone service. And DSL or whatever service comes next...

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 

post #6 of 25 Old 04-04-2013, 10:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Looks like a demarcation run. But i find it weird that it isn't in a box.
post #7 of 25 Old 04-04-2013, 10:21 PM - Thread Starter

What's a demarcation run?
post #8 of 25 Old 04-04-2013, 11:23 PM
AVS Special Member

post #9 of 25 Old 04-05-2013, 06:18 AM - Thread Starter

Ah I got you...Im sure there will be a box, just hasnt been installed yet since everything is still under construction.
post #10 of 25 Old 04-05-2013, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Find out.
post #11 of 25 Old 04-06-2013, 08:26 AM

Liked: 10
You might also want to talk to the contractor about the holes that are in the house now. They can ruin the integrity of your air/vapor barrier as well if not fixed.
post #12 of 25 Old 04-06-2013, 10:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Down here in the southern U.S., especially in the desert areas, they don not use vapor barriers since they temp does not get cold enough for condensation to form.
post #13 of 25 Old 04-06-2013, 10:12 PM
AVS Special Member

There are boxes there (you can see the blue non-metallic box in one of the images), and they will likely "finish" it with an exterior, flush-mounted box I assume over the stucco or whatever material is being prepped there...

post #14 of 25 Old 04-07-2013, 02:05 AM
AVS Special Member

That's why I told the OP to check with the builder. I have never seen one done after the fact
post #15 of 25 Old 04-07-2013, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I'd be real nervous about running satellite or antenna coax inside the building because of lightning strikes. If I were building new, that is one of the few things I would skip, and then wrap the cables externally down to a grounding block later. You can always use white coax if the house is a light color. A good wrapping job doesn't look bad, it's only the crappy/ghetto wrapping jobs that look, well, crappy and ghetto.
post #16 of 25 Old 04-07-2013, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

As long as it has a proper ground, they should be fine.
post #17 of 25 Old 04-08-2013, 02:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 76
I have concerns that the green ground wire is not 'to code', for a satellite dish - if that's what it's for.

The green ground wire should be awg 10 copper and run to the service entrance, or it should be a special Siamese coax with a steel carrier wire run to the service entrance. Another option is to run the 10 awg wire to the cold water pipe within a few feet of entering the house. I recently retrofitted a sat dish far from the service entrance (well, I didn't hang it, but I did run the ground). Full disclosure - I ran the ground to a cold water pipe far fromwhere it enters the house; I'm not concerned with a direct lightning strike to the dish, but it is necessary to discharge static electricity.

I think many dishes are installed with a ground connected to a house outlet ground, but I'm pretty sure it's not to code.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #18 of 25 Old 04-08-2013, 02:29 AM
AVS Special Member

I'd try to call the man that ran the green ground wire and ask him for some clarification.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #19 of 25 Old 04-08-2013, 02:33 AM
AVS Special Member

This pic in this link shows the dish grounding options. The 17 awg copper clad steel is the coax carrier wire I mentioned.

http://www.mikeholt.com/mojonewsarchive/GB-HTML/HTML/GroundingSatelliteDishandLead-InCables~20020303.htm

post #20 of 25 Old 04-08-2013, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifor View Post

As long as it has a proper ground, they should be fine.

That may be true, it would still make me nervous enough on my house to just wrap the cables down to the demarc point to bond with everything else before going inside the structure.
post #21 of 25 Old 04-09-2013, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggAW View Post

That may be true, it would still make me nervous enough on my house to just wrap the cables down to the demarc point to bond with everything else before going inside the structure.

Is the service entrance at the front of the house? Do you mind having a sat dish visible from the street?

If one doesn't want the sat dish visible from the street (some people are like that), there aren't many options to retrofit a code-compliant ground.

post #22 of 25 Old 04-09-2013, 08:03 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post

This pic in this link shows the dish grounding options. The 17 awg copper clad steel is the coax carrier wire I mentioned.

http://www.mikeholt.com/mojonewsarchive/GB-HTML/HTML/GroundingSatelliteDishandLead-InCables~20020303.htm

Why can steel wire be smaller than copper?

Regards, Frederick C. Wilt
post #23 of 25 Old 04-09-2013, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

Why would lightening strikes me a concern? The satellite dishes are almost always installed on the side of a 6' fence and are much lower than the roof of the house, I dont see it being struck by lightinging. Does it actually happen?
post #24 of 25 Old 04-09-2013, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post

Is the service entrance at the front of the house? Do you mind having a sat dish visible from the street?

If one doesn't want the sat dish visible from the street (some people are like that), there aren't many options to retrofit a code-compliant ground.

Most dishes are street visible. There's nothing wrong with that. You can always run the cables horizontally externally to the demarc/ service entrance point as well if need be to get LOS.
post #25 of 25 Old 04-09-2013, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

I think the 17 awg CCS is a concession made to satellite companies, so they can run the ground themselves.

This is because a nearby lightning strike wouldn't really affect the dish/mast, if installed on the side of the house, unlike other incoming LV cables (coax, dog fence, telephone, which require a good ground).

The rule is that all incoming LV cables need a proper ground to mitigate nearby strikes. Not an issue for a sat dish, unless a tall mast or pole is used, or there is a long exterior, underground run.

The dish/mast need some sort of ground, in theory, to reduce static buildup, from wind. More of an issue with large commercial dishes, but could still cause issues. This is why I went against code, and grounded my dish to a cold water pipe. I didn't want it visible to the neighbors, or from the street. It's an eyesore, IMO.

Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page