New RG6 (Coaxail Cable) Run - AVS Forum
Home A/V Distribution > New RG6 (Coaxail Cable) Run
Mugenstylus1's Avatar Mugenstylus1 02:27 PM 04-08-2013
Due to flooding I need to re-run rb6 cable I need some help on this though. I have 7 splits total. I am concerned about signal loss, and distortion. The modem is in the same room as the cable in line.

Diagram
Key:

/ = Split

Room 1 (Bedroom)
Cable IN
/CATV/Modem Room 2 (Bedroom) Room 3(Bedroom) Room 4 (Living Room)
/_______________/CATV/__________________ /CATV/_________________CATV

So the splits are

Room 1 - 3 Splits: Cable modem, Cable tv, Split to Room 2
Room 2 - 2 Splits CATV, Line to Room 3
Room 3 - 2 Splits CATV, Line to Room 4
Room 4 - Living room HD Box. (Last room no more splits)

I was wondering if you guys had any tips and advice on this.

Thank you.

jautor's Avatar jautor 02:30 PM 04-08-2013
If you are re-running cable can you bring the lines from all the rooms to one location? Split after split after split is not the right way...
Mugenstylus1's Avatar Mugenstylus1 02:33 PM 04-08-2013
That is what i would like to do. though my dad is helping me with the rewiring and this is the newest argument that came up.

But I am better off splitting at the source? and running individual lines to each room?
jautor's Avatar jautor 03:01 PM 04-08-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugenstylus1 View Post

But I am better off splitting at the source? and running individual lines to each room?

Yes, much better. Best practice is a two-way splitter, with one leg to the cable modem, the other leg to a distribution amp/splitter to feed all CATV outlets. So if you have 4 rooms, you use a 4-way splitter there. (and for less than 8 drops, an amp is probably not necessary)
Mugenstylus1's Avatar Mugenstylus1 04:04 PM 04-08-2013
Excellent, i'll see if i can convince him.
Skytrooper's Avatar Skytrooper 06:45 PM 04-08-2013
+1 for jautor.
olyteddy's Avatar olyteddy 11:27 PM 04-08-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugenstylus1 View Post

Yes, much better. Best practice is a two-way splitter, with one leg to the cable modem, the other leg to a distribution amp/splitter to feed all CATV outlets. So if you have 4 rooms, you use a 4-way splitter there. (and for less than 8 drops, an amp is probably not necessary)
That may be best if you're shooting in the dark and likely will work most of the time. But without actually measuring the signal levels you could be 'wasting' a lot of signal. My modem is connected to the down leg of a DC-9 and I've got -9dB in and 46dB out. The DC-9 gives me 2dB more to my TVs.

PS: I agree with the home running though.
fcwilt's Avatar fcwilt 09:08 AM 04-09-2013
Amazing! The guy owns a DC-9! He has a ways to go to catch up with John Travolta (owns a 707).
Up
Mobile  Desktop