Route signal from PC to a different room - Coax vs. Cat5e - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 04-10-2013, 10:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have 2 PC's, and either of them are suitable for routing the signal (high def and standard def video content) to the tv in my bedroom. I can route it via cat5e or coax (since both computers and the tv in my bedroom have access to these wirings). Looking for a cheap yet reliable solution. I don't necessarily need 1080p quality. I did some quick searching and it seems that a HDMI signal via cat5e can become quite expensive. I'm willing to accept a bit of quality loss - this will strictly be for falling asleep to some media. Any general suggestions to help a noobie out? My current cheap/free solution is to use a wireless media server and my ps3 in the bedroom, but I'd like to keep the PS3 downstairs with the home theater set up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-11-2013, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Some questions/thoughts. First, what is your content, and where is your content? How do you want to control it?

You could make it as simple as running a coax from your DVR/SAT/Cable box if it has an RF output to the bedroom TV and tune to channel 3 or 4. This way you have zero cost and zero control from the bedroom - other than volume. You will not get HD of any sort using this method. If there is no RF modulator you can get one cheap and feed to the bedroom.

If you have content on your computer in the form of ISO or MKV rips the previous setup will not work. In this case I'd suggest you pick up a decent media streamer like the WD TV box. Can be had from $49 to $100 depending on where you get it, I get mine used on ebay cheap, refurbs are also available from time to time from WD. Connect this to your router and you can stream any content from your computers to your bedroom TV in whatever quality you desire. You will also have access to dozens of alternatives such as Netflix and Pandora and many more. You could do Roku but to stream local content you have to jump through a few hoops, not hard, but not as elegantly easy as with the WD unit.

I've got streamers scattered all over my home, would not want to watch Tv without them.
post #3 of 5 Old 04-12-2013, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the informative response, Matt. Sorry about my lack of clarity. My content is all SD and HD rips (avi/mkv/mp4) and they are stored on my main rig (in another bedroom upstairs) and also on my HTPC (downstairs). Both computers are right next to my home's hardwiring (cat5e and coax), so I don't really have a preference as to which one I use. I wanted to avoid streaming because, at least using the ps3 and freeware ps3 media server software, I always get some lag, even with SD content. I do recognize that it is the simplest of options, however, and if I do decide to go with it, the WD unit sounds to be what I would need. Do you ever experience lag? My router is located downstairs so the wireless signal is not great upstairs. Lag is a huge concern of mine.

As for control, I don't need any control from the bedroom. I like to queue up a few episodes of whatever show I'm watching and put the tv on sleep - strange sleeping habit of mine. So not having control is no big deal (though ideally I would have control for those lazy sundays, but again, not a dealbreaker).

Oh, and one more thing, this is a 2007 LCD, so it doesn't have very many frills. Does something like the WD box come with some sort of HDMI dongle or something? My tv does not have wireless capability.

Thanks for the info!
post #4 of 5 Old 04-12-2013, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 73
As long as both of your computers are connected to a router, and you can connect a streamer like the WD to the same router you are good to go. I've got a couple of WD units, 3 Rokus and a Seagate media streamer and all work as they should. I've got a little software program that will allow the Roku to access and stream movies, music and pictures from my computer but it's a little iffy on some formats so for a new user I'd say focus on the main line streamers. I like the WD units because they will play just about any format thrown at them.

There is no issue streaming from both of your computers as long as network shares are setup. I HATE and avoid DLNA servers at all costs. The latest WD box is wired or wireless and has an HDMI plug built it. It also has an optical out if you have audio equipment you are feeding. I've never had any lag issues with any of my streamers. There are other popular streamers out there but most cost more and in some cases do less. The WD units hit the sweet spot for me and i have set up much of my family and friends with those units and have gotten zero complaints.
post #5 of 5 Old 04-12-2013, 09:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L View Post

As long as both of your computers are connected to a router, and you can connect a streamer like the WD to the same router you are good to go. I've got a couple of WD units, 3 Rokus and a Seagate media streamer and all work as they should. I've got a little software program that will allow the Roku to access and stream movies, music and pictures from my computer but it's a little iffy on some formats so for a new user I'd say focus on the main line streamers. I like the WD units because they will play just about any format thrown at them.

There is no issue streaming from both of your computers as long as network shares are setup. I HATE and avoid DLNA servers at all costs. The latest WD box is wired or wireless and has an HDMI plug built it. It also has an optical out if you have audio equipment you are feeding. I've never had any lag issues with any of my streamers. There are other popular streamers out there but most cost more and in some cases do less. The WD units hit the sweet spot for me and i have set up much of my family and friends with those units and have gotten zero complaints.

Great info. I guess when I heard "Streamer" I immediately thought of a wireless streamer, but yes, I could use it with a wired connection with my home setup, sounds like the right ticket. I'll look into it and use the PS3 in the meantime, Thanks!
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page