Global Cach e GC100 or better alternative? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 04-14-2013, 04:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is there a better (more recommended) unit instead of the GC100?

It's been around for a while, so maybe there's better technology.

Using it for whole house AV centralization.

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-14-2013, 05:04 AM

Liked: 11
It depends which features of the gc100 you are going to use. Their itach line is newer, they have pieces for just ir, just serial, etc
post #3 of 11 Old 04-14-2013, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbs View Post

It depends which features of the gc100 you are going to use. Their itach line is newer, they have pieces for just ir, just serial, etc

I don't know which features.

I'll have a rack with:

2 or 3 cable boxes
Blue ray DVD player
roku box (or 2)
xbox
Wii
Sonos Connect
An AVR (no idea which one)
a power protector/distributor

For now, I'd like to control it via i-devices, but I want to be able to use basic remotes also so I'll need to bring IR back to the viewing/listening rooms.

Does that identify things enough to determine if the GC100 is most appropriate?

Thanks!
post #4 of 11 Old 04-14-2013, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by josephnyc View Post

I don't know which features.

You'll have to figure that out. What control methods to each of your components have? If they're controllable via IR or RS232, the GC100 will help. If they're IP-controllable, you don't need anything else (GC100 or otherwise) to control from an iDevice app (iRule, etc.).
Quote:
I'll have a rack with:

2 or 3 cable boxes
Blue ray DVD player
roku box (or 2)
xbox
Wii
Sonos Connect
An AVR (no idea which one)
a power protector/distributor

For now, I'd like to control it via i-devices, but I want to be able to use basic remotes also so I'll need to bring IR back to the viewing/listening rooms.

If you want to continue using a basic / universal remote, you'll need IR to everything. But that's a separate system from anything the GC100 would run. You can combine emitters with a "dual-plug" version from Xantech to keep things clean-looking.

Most cable boxes are IR-only, same with BD/DVD players (Oppo is a good exception). Many AVRs have a published IP interface. Roku, Sonos will have their own control schemes and it can be difficult to integrate them into an app-based solution because of that... iRule has a Sonos plug-in, for example.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #5 of 11 Old 04-14-2013, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

You'll have to figure that out. What control methods to each of your components have? If they're controllable via IR or RS232, the GC100 will help. If they're IP-controllable, you don't need anything else (GC100 or otherwise) to control from an iDevice app (iRule, etc.).
If you want to continue using a basic / universal remote, you'll need IR to everything. But that's a separate system from anything the GC100 would run. You can combine emitters with a "dual-plug" version from Xantech to keep things clean-looking.

Most cable boxes are IR-only, same with BD/DVD players (Oppo is a good exception). Many AVRs have a published IP interface. Roku, Sonos will have their own control schemes and it can be difficult to integrate them into an app-based solution because of that... iRule has a Sonos plug-in, for example.

Jeff

Thanks for the analysis.

I don't believe there'll be any RS232. Give that, and the number/type of devices, is the GC100 the best, or another Global Cache device, or some other?

Can you make a recommendation for what to use to bring back the IR to the AV room? I believe it's called a matrix, but that's all I (think I) know.

Thanks
post #6 of 11 Old 04-14-2013, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephnyc View Post

I don't believe there'll be any RS232. Give that, and the number/type of devices, is the GC100 the best, or another Global Cache device, or some other?

If you only need IR and the rest will be IP-based, the GC iTach family is a bit easier to deal with, and can be field-upgraded for bug fixes... Those units have three IR outputs (which you can split to 2 or more devices), but you'll likely need at least three channels if you have multiple identical cable boxes (so you don't change channels on all of them at the same time).
Quote:
Can you make a recommendation for what to use to bring back the IR to the AV room? I believe it's called a matrix, but that's all I (think I) know.

Tons of solutions for IR repeating. A "matrix switch" is an audio/video switch that allows X sources to be displayed on Y displays in any combination (an X-by-Y matrix). Some matrix switch solutions include IR repeating and routing - which takes care of all of the above IR issues...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 

post #7 of 11 Old 04-26-2013, 04:46 PM

Just getting to the thread... but I had the same question: GC100 or newer alternative?

My setup could be configured this way (controlled by Roomie Remote):
- RS232: Pioneer TV Kuro LX508D
- RS232: Rotel RSP-1066 pre-processor
- IP or IR: Oppo BDP-105 (even RS232, but three serial connectors are expensive to find in a single device, I think)
- IR: mySKY HD satellite box
- IR: Sony PS3 (with IR adapter)
- IP: Philips Hue
- Relay: some LED lights (but this is not a priority)

Would there be any better solutions than the GC100?
I've read that the GC100 is an older and slower device than the newer iTach's: I currently have a wifi IR iTach, so my question is... better buying two new serial iTach's or an used GC100? Or a different device?

Many thanks!
post #8 of 11 Old 04-26-2013, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

AFAIK the GC100 is still the most cost-effective solution when 2 serial ports are needed. And yes, the used market prices on those is great!

The Oppo BD-xxx models are not controllable by IP (unpublished, incomplete, etc.) - which continues to be a surprise from them, and a shame...

Jeff

post #9 of 11 Old 04-27-2013, 02:39 AM

Thanks Jeff.
Yes, overnight I won an eBay auction for a "cheap" GC-100-12: as soon as it will arrive I'll try replacing my current wifi iTach IR with this wired GC100 solution.
Althought it is an older device, I think the wired ethernet GC100 could anyhow be snappier than the newer wifi iTach (ethernet vs wifi...).

I do not espressly need connecting to the GC100 with different iOS devices at the same time, so... I hope the GC100 will do well its job with my Pioneer TV and Rotel sound pre-processor...
post #10 of 11 Old 06-06-2013, 07:12 AM

I just realised - after having bought it - that most of the used GC100's sport 2.x firmware, that's quite buggy and not upgradable (other than sending back the device to Global Cachè and paying for the service). Moreover the GC100 is a very old device, with old and slow technology, by far surpassed by their new Global Cachè iFlex line.
Other than the buggy firmware... my used GC100 died after a couple of days... and so I just ordered an iFlex with serial connector. mad.gif
The problem is that it still doesn't exist a cost effective solution to connect 2 serials and 3 infrared devices... (buying 3 iFlex is quite expensive... close to 400$)
post #11 of 11 Old 06-06-2013, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 206
One problem the GC100 has is it will only allow one WiFi device attached at a time. Meaning if you have an Ipad talking to it, you can't use an Iphone or another Ipad at the same time for remote control. You have to shut down the remote app on the first device before you can use the other device for control. The Itach series does not have this limitation.

I also find the GC100 to be flakey with WiFi. Some say it' s the Ipad at fault but my IP controlled connected devices still work even when the GC100 needs a reboot.

Glimmie's HT Page
Being redone - comming soon!

Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page