On Q home system - totally confused and need help! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 46 Old 04-14-2013, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello..newbie here and looking for some help.

I purchased a house and was thrilled to find out that there was a On Q box and all bedrooms/family room having an ethernet port.
Now the question is that how can I get the ethernet ports in each room to work?! Unfortunately I have no clue where to start from and it might be easier to get someone to do it for me but I am really keen to learn and do it myself.

The tech from the cable company said that the signal from the service provider comes into the attic and from there he bypassed the OnQ setup and used a separate coxial cable for the internet which then connects to the modem in my office. The ethernet port is not being used. He said I could just plug the ethernet cable from the modem into the wall and it should make all other ports in the house 'live' but that did not work.

I took some pictures of the On Q box. Can someone help me figure out what I need to do to get to use the outputs. I am assuming I need to hook up my modem here but not sure where exactly. I have done a lot of google searches to no avail and hoping some experts can chime in and help out.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 Old 04-14-2013, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 354
Assuming your modem is also a "router" (does it provide WiFi wireless and/or have more the one Ethernet output?), you can patch one line from your study back to the OnQ enclosure. Add any simple Ethernet switch there, and patch the rest of the house (any of the rooms shown on the yellow wires attached to the RJ45 block) using short patch cables from the switch.

5-port 10/100 Ethernet switches are $10 from Newegg. Upgrade to Gigabit (mostly for future use) for an additional $10...

If your modem is not a router, there will be a little more work involved, and geez I wish the cable guys would just wire these correctly when the house has the structured wiring in place instead of bypassing it so it's like every other pre-2000 house...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #3 of 46 Old 04-14-2013, 08:51 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
normally you would put the modem in that central location and then route the signal to the rooms, but he was saying that you could use the run going to your office to route the signal back to the central location and then to the other rooms. you would plug the ethernet cable from the modem into the wall jack in the office. Then back at the central location you can find the line coming from the office on the black patch panel (with the yellow cables). you would plug a short one from there into a router or switch, probably an 8 port switch because then you don't really have to worry which one is which. but if you wanted to plug it into a wireless router you would have to make sure that the line from the office port of the black patch panel goes into the Modem port of the router.

if you have power near that enclosure, you could order a little cisco 8-port soho switch and 7 patch cables 1' long and plug every port of the black patch panel into the switch.

edit: what he said ^^
post #4 of 46 Old 04-14-2013, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys..it makes so much sense now!

The router is not wireless and there is a power outlet in the laundry room where the ON Q box is. I am wondering if it wil be a cleaner set up if I move the router to the laundry room and reroute the coaxial wire from office to laundry room and attach it to the modem. Then from modem as you mentioned attach the Ethernet cable to the ON Q switch. I am assuming this way I would not need to get another switch or patch wires?
post #5 of 46 Old 04-14-2013, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member

If your modem is truly a router and has multiple Ethernet jacks, then, yes, that would be the "correct" way to wire it in the first place...

You'll still need some short patch cables to connect between the RJ45 patch panel and the modem. Monoprice is your friend.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 

post #6 of 46 Old 04-14-2013, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

If your modem is truly a router and has multiple Ethernet jacks, then, yes, that would be the "correct" way to wire it in the first place...

You'll still need some short patch cables to connect between the RJ45 patch panel and the modem. Monoprice is your friend.

Unfortunately there is only one Ethernet jack in the modem so I will buy the switch. Thinking of this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=33-704-042&IsVirtualParent=1
Was checking out monoprice and there prices are unreal so will def get the cables from them.

Hopefully this week I should have something positive to report back on.
post #7 of 46 Old 04-15-2013, 05:10 AM

I don't know what equipment you have so to be safe I would recommend getting a router as well.
cable in -> modem -> router -> switch -> patch panel
post #8 of 46 Old 04-15-2013, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalodada View Post

Unfortunately there is only one Ethernet jack in the modem so I will buy the switch. Thinking of this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=33-704-042&IsVirtualParent=1
Was checking out monoprice and there prices are unreal so will def get the cables from them.

Hopefully this week I should have something positive to report back on.
One Ethernet port on the cable modem, says it's a cable modem only. To connect multiple devices, you would need a router connected to it. Whether you want wireless or not determines where that router would be located. If you want wireless capabilities in your home, connect a wireless router to your cable modem, with one of the LAN ports going to your computer and another of the LAN ports plugging into the wall outlet to go back to the OnQ panel, where you will have a switch for distribution to all of the other outlets in the house.

Just as asecat described above.

CIAO!

Ed N.
post #9 of 46 Old 04-15-2013, 04:41 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 19
Just FYI you DO NOT need a wireless router (hate that designation) to have wireless access in your home. You can, instead, use wireless access points (WAP or AP). By using separate devices for your router and wireless access points you can place each in the best location.

Regards, Frederick C. Wilt
post #10 of 46 Old 04-15-2013, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks acesat and egnisn. I have ordered the above mentioned switch...heck ordered 2 so I can hook up my entire entertainment center and got a few cables from mono price.

Fcwilt - I'm new to this networking thing ( as you might have seen). What would I need to set up these access points? Thanks
post #11 of 46 Old 04-15-2013, 07:03 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalodada View Post

Fcwilt - I'm new to this networking thing ( as you might have seen). What would I need to set up these access points? Thanks

Uh... An Access Point? Just kidding.

Consider:

Cable-From-Internet-Provider --> Modem --> Router --> Switch --> To-Other-Equipment-In-Your-Home

This is your basic WIRED setup.

Often the internet provider will provide an "All-In-One" device that includes the functions of the Modem, Router, Switch and Wireless Access Point.

I don't care for this approach because I prefer to select separate devices to meet the needs of my installation and provide best-in-class performance, something you are not likely to get from the All-In-One device.

To add WiFi to the basic setup above you would buy and install one or more wireless access points. These WAPs will connect to your Switch via a network cable. You place the WAP where desired to give the best coverage.

In my home the Modem, Router and Switch (actually 2) are located in the basement in a dedicated utility closet. From the switches cables run to different rooms in the home, anywhere I thought I might have a device needing a network connection. I also ran cables to several locations in the house and installed ceiling mounted WAPs that look a bit like smoke detectors.

JFYI in those locations where I thought I might have a TV (and associated equipment) I ran 4 CAT6 cables and 4 RG6 cables. In those locations where I thought I might have a computer workstation I ran 2 CAT6. In other places where I already knew what was being installed (security system, etc) I ran cables suited to the type of equipment.

If you take it step by step it's fairly simple.

Regards, Frederick C. Wilt
post #12 of 46 Old 04-15-2013, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcwilt View Post

Uh... An Access Point? Just kidding.

Consider:

Cable-From-Internet-Provider --> Modem --> Router --> Switch --> To-Other-Equipment-In-Your-Home

This is your basic WIRED setup.

Often the internet provider will provide an "All-In-One" device that includes the functions of the Modem, Router, Switch and Wireless Access Point.

I don't care for this approach because I prefer to select separate devices to meet the needs of my installation and provide best-in-class performance, something you are not likely to get from the All-In-One device.

To add WiFi to the basic setup above you would buy and install one or more wireless access points. This WAP will connect to your Switch via a network cable. You place the WAP where desired to give the best coverage.

In my home the Modem, Router and Switch (actually 2) are located in the basement in a dedicated utility closet. From the switches cables run to different rooms in the home, anywhere I thought I might have a device needing a network connection. I also ran cables to several locations in the house and installed ceiling mounted WAP,s that look a bit like smoke detectors.

JFYI in those locations where I thought I might have a TV (and associated equipment) I ran 4 CAT6 cables and 4 RG6 cables. In those locations where I thought I might have a computer workstation I ran 2 CAT6. In other places where I already knew what was being installed (security system, etc) I ran cables suited to the type of equipment.

If you take it step by step it's fairly simple.

Gotcha. I read up on how to set this up and it seems pretty straight forward. Might tackle it once I have the initial setup working.

Thanks for taking the time to help out. I can't wait to get everything sorted this weekend.
post #13 of 46 Old 04-16-2013, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcwilt View Post

Just FYI you DO NOT need a wireless router (hate that designation) to have wireless access in your home. You can, instead, use wireless access points (WAP or AP). By using separate devices for your router and wireless access points you can place each in the best location.
That is very true. A wireless router is not needed. A regular router with an Access Point would do just fine. However, most wired routers I've seen cost a little more than wireless routers do, then you add the expense of an AP, and you've spent more than if you just got a wireless router in the first place (for actually less capability, since the AP will take up one of your switch ports).

If your cabling is such that you can do so, get a wired router AND a wireless router. Turn off DHCP in the wireless router, and you've got an Access Point with a 4-port switch.

In the OP's scenario, where the cable modem is located in a room other than where the panel is, a wireless router where the cable modem is with one of the LAN ports going to a switch in the panel makes the most sense.

CIAO!

Ed N.
post #14 of 46 Old 04-18-2013, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter

I got my routers and cables delivered today and followed the instructions provided and everything hooked up as expected. The only issue encountered was when I connected the cable from the wireless modem into the wall then the Internet connection dropped altogether. So I used the voyage ethernet outlet, from the vonage device which is connected to the wireless modem, to connect to the outlet in the wall and it worked.

Thanks again to everyone who contributed and helped me set my network! Cheers!!
post #15 of 46 Old 08-30-2013, 05:44 PM

I'd like to piggy back on koldada's post and issue...

I have a similar layout and I'm a bit confused what I need to do...

I have my cable modem hooked into a wireless router with multiple ethernet "outs". I have taken one of the lines and plugged it into my office ethernet outlet...

Now what?? All of the lines come to the On Q central location, but I don't get a signal through the remaining ethernet ports in the home...Is there something I need to connect within the central location in order to have the signal travel through the remaining lines?
post #16 of 46 Old 08-30-2013, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

You didn't read very far in the thread... biggrin.gif

See post #2. You need an inexpensive Ethernet switch at the OnQ box to connect all of rooms together. It's a "power strip" for Ethernet. smile.gif

post #17 of 46 Old 08-31-2013, 04:08 AM

sorry, but, I'm confused on how a switch works there...I have stripped wires connected to the main hub (not your normal ethernet 'plugs') as diagramed in the original post.

I'm a newbie on this, so, how exactly do I get the stripped wires connected to the switch? frown.gif
post #18 of 46 Old 08-31-2013, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyheel View Post

sorry, but, I'm confused on how a switch works there...I have stripped wires connected to the main hub (not your normal ethernet 'plugs') as diagramed in the original post.

I'm a newbie on this, so, how exactly do I get the stripped wires connected to the switch? frown.gif

Get an OnQ "Network Module" which will allow you to punch down the wires onto the module and provide RJ45 jacks. There are a couple of modules, this one is the 5-port version (and is the cheapest of the lot):

http://www.amazon.com/On-Q-Legrand-AC1000-Network-Interface/dp/B000JWQJX6

Then some 1-2' RJ45 patch cables to your switch.

You'll need a punch tool, a cheap one will work for a small job like this.

post #19 of 46 Old 08-31-2013, 11:44 AM

I guess this is where I am confused...why do I need RJ45 jacks within the module? I have ports throughout the house that I want to use. I don't need any in the closet where the module is located. Is the "network module" used to connect all of the wires together?

I really have no idea what to do with the device you linked me to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

Get an OnQ "Network Module" which will allow you to punch down the wires onto the module and provide RJ45 jacks. There are a couple of modules, this one is the 5-port version (and is the cheapest of the lot):

http://www.amazon.com/On-Q-Legrand-AC1000-Network-Interface/dp/B000JWQJX6

Then some 1-2' RJ45 patch cables to your switch.

You'll need a punch tool, a cheap one will work for a small job like this.
post #20 of 46 Old 08-31-2013, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I guess this is where I am confused...why do I need RJ45 jacks within the module? I have ports throughout the house that I want to use. I don't need any in the closet where the module is located. Is the "network module" used to connect all of the wires together?

I really have no idea what to do with the device you linked me to.

You need an Ethernet switch to connect multiple devices together to form a network. Ethernet is a point-to-point link. All Ethernet switches have RJ45 jacks to connect devices - for example, 5-port switches are common, which allow you to connect 5 Ethernet devices (including a router) together into a network. When we want to network the whole house, those connections are made through the house wiring and RJ45 jacks in the rooms.

For ease of use and "neatness", we terminate the wiring in the central location in a "patch panel", and use RJ45 patch cables to connect to equipment.

Now, you could simply terminate those cables with RJ45 jacks and plug them into the Ethernet switch. There are slip-through EZ-RJ45 jacks that can make that a bit easier, but you'll still need tools and practice to make those terminations correctly. The issue with doing this on the house wiring is that if you mess it up enough times and have to cut off the connectors - you might come up with a wire that's too short to reach its destination!

post #21 of 46 Old 08-31-2013, 08:00 PM

I'm sorry if I sound stupid, but I'm still not clear on why I need the RJ45 jacks within the OnQ panel in my closet.

All of my individual ethernet jacks within the entire house are routed into this OnQ panel...the ends are stripped and they are wired into the panel just as the original picture shows. All I am trying to do is have the internet from my router plug into the existing ethernet port in my office wall and then have the ability to receive that signal downstairs. I'm not clear why this isn't happening already when all of the existing wiring within my house finalizes at my OnQ panel.

I know you are trying to help...I'm just confused as to what the Network Module does other than give me more RJ45 jacks in my closet, which I don't need. I don't want to plug anything into the closet, I want to use my existing RJ45 jacks within the house.

If the Network Module is needed, how does that route all of my existing cables together?

Thanks again.
post #22 of 46 Old 08-31-2013, 08:41 PM

Liked: 32
Quote:

I'm sorry if I sound stupid, but I'm still not clear on why I need the RJ45 jacks within the OnQ panel in my closet.

All of my individual ethernet jacks within the entire house are routed into this OnQ panel...the ends are stripped and they are wired into the panel just as the original picture shows. All I am trying to do is have the internet from my router plug into the existing ethernet port in my office wall and then have the ability to receive that signal downstairs. I'm not clear why this isn't happening already when all of the existing wiring within my house finalizes at my OnQ panel.

I know you are trying to help...I'm just confused as to what the Network Module does other than give me more RJ45 jacks in my closet, which I don't need. I don't want to plug anything into the closet, I want to use my existing RJ45 jacks within the house.

If the Network Module is needed, how does that route all of my existing cables together?

Thanks again.
In order for you to network computers, network capable tv's, Audio/Video Receivers, place an access point(s) in the home, you need to install either the module that the OP is stating that you need, or install the wires into keystones, into a plate so that they act as a Patch Panel, so you can use a switch to have all the connections route through out the structure, with the router, telling how the traffic will flow.

Without the Patch Panel, or OnQ Network board, all you have is a bunch of wires inside a panel going nowhere doing anything. You also do not want to strip the wires, because this is not telephone wiring, which even with telephone wiring, you do not strip the wires.

For some good info on networking, suggest you look at the following links: http://www.ezlan.net http://www.home-network-help.com/

What you basically have now is a basic home network. That is a modem from the Internet provider and a router with Wireless capabilities, that also has a built in four port switch, or what is considered an all-in-one device. It is really up to you how large or how small you want your network, but first you need the modem, the router and a switch located where all the cat-5e/Cat-6 wires from all the wall plates in your residence go to.

If you do not want to add in the OnQ Patch Panel, and just want to start twisting wires together, I will tell you that it is not going to do anything, and all you will have is a bunch of wires twisted together, that will not work as a network is supposed to work. If you want help, it means putting together your network properly, with the proper equipment, and that will mean moving the ISP provided modem, the router where it belongs, and then adding in maybe a switch that will allow you more ports, if you have more than four pieces of gear, but also you will need a couple of Access Points.

I use the Netgear WN802T-200 a/p and the Trendnet TEW-690ap in my house. For switches, I have a Netgear GS108, a Trendnet TEG-S50g (Version v3.0R), and a Trendnet TPE-TG44g (Version v2.0R) (I have a couple of items that use POE, and also for future expansion if I decide to add in another Access Point or two that are Power Over Ethernet). One switch is upstairs in my A/V cabinet, that also has our Blu-Ray player and the Trendnet a/p on it.

It is really up to you what you want to do with your setup. But not listening to those that are stating what you need to do, to do it correctly, such as jautor has stated, it is not going to get you any further than you have at this point.

So to get to the beginning, in order for the switch to route where information is coming and going to and from, the router that you have, is what will be doing that.
post #23 of 46 Old 08-31-2013, 11:33 PM

Quote:

Thanks again.

Networking cable can be used for phone OR ethernet. If your cat5 cables look like the blue cables in OP's picture it's for phone. If your cables look like the yellow ones in OP's picture going to the black panel (which is what everyone is assuming) then your ok. Basically each of those cables snakes off through the walls and goes to their own separate rooms. That black 'punchdown' panel doesn't really have any brains to it... all that it does is provide a neat way to terminate the cable run. So if you've plugged the ethernet cable from your router into the wall jack, that signal is being carried down to the OnQ panel and that's it. There is no other routing being done once it gets down there because the black panel does not distribute signal it only terminates the cables in a tidy little package.

To distribute the signal coming from your office to the other rooms you need what's called a switch. With a switch you can get a bunch of short "patch" cables that are just 1 or 2 feet ethernet cables and you plug one into each spot on that black panel and the other end of the patch cable goes into the switch. If you don't care about distributing signal to every room and you only just want 1 room, you could plug a patch cable from one port on the patch panel to another, just figure out which room corresponds to which port. Plug a laptop into each spot one at a time until you get signal, then try the other ports til the room you want has signal. It's crude but no tools involved and there's only n(n-1)/2 possible combinations : )
post #24 of 46 Old 09-01-2013, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acesat View Post

Networking cable can be used for phone OR ethernet. If your cat5 cables look like the blue cables in OP's picture it's for phone. If your cables look like the yellow ones in OP's picture going to the black panel (which is what everyone is assuming) then your ok. Basically each of those cables snakes off through the walls and goes to their own separate rooms. That black 'punchdown' panel doesn't really have any brains to it... all that it does is provide a neat way to terminate the cable run. So if you've plugged the ethernet cable from your router into the wall jack, that signal is being carried down to the OnQ panel and that's it. There is no other routing being done once it gets down there because the black panel does not distribute signal it only terminates the cables in a tidy little package.

Aha!! This is what I was looking for. So, the fact that all of the wires come into the panel DOES NOT mean they are interconnected!! The switch that you are referring to will link all of them together, correct?

So, does this switch just "plug" into the wire terminals at the OnQ module? And then, as you say, I just need ethernet cables looping from one jack to the next, right?
post #25 of 46 Old 09-01-2013, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 283
You are thinking that what you have is MUCH more complex than it actually is.

You have a wall plate with a Ethernet connection on it.

Behind that connection is a wire.

That wires goes to your On-Q box in the basement.

You are telling us, and we can only believe that you are being accurate, that is then is connected to a Ethernet punchdown block like the one pictured above.

That's all you have.

There is no connection to that wire from any electronics. It quite literally is a point to point wire connection without any communication, activity, or anything else on it.

So, now you add the proper networking to it.

First: No, not looping from one jack to the next. That's not how networking works.

What you do is you figure out how many network jacks you have in your home - let's say you have 12.

Of those twelve, how many of them do you want to have available at any one time? Let's say you want 7 of them active. (make a list!)

You need to go purchase an 8-port Ethernet Switch. They are readily available at many stores (Best Buy).

Now, you plug one of the ports on your Router that is currently connected to the office, to one of the ports on the Ethernet Switch.

Then plug the remaining 7-ports on the Ethernet switch into the 7 jacks in the On-Q box that you want to be 'active'. Nothing is jumped together, it is a 1-1 connection.

Now, every single port has a dedicated network connection which feeds into that network switch you bought, and then over to your router, and on to the Internet.

If you want all 12 ports to be active at once, then you need a 13 port (or larger) network switch. Generally, a 16 port switch is a decent size if you want 12 ports active and leaves you a few spare connections.

There are tons of diagrams on how everything should be connected if you are still confused, but the basic concept is that every single wire in your On-Q paenl is not connected to anything else until you actually put a piece in to connect them.

Phone lines CAN be jumped together. That's the way phone systems work. But, Ethernet (networking) can't be jumped together.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #26 of 46 Old 09-01-2013, 10:58 AM

Quote:

Aha!! This is what I was looking for. So, the fact that all of the wires come into the panel DOES NOT mean they are interconnected!! The switch that you are referring to will link all of them together, correct?

So, does this switch just "plug" into the wire terminals at the OnQ module? And then, as you say, I just need ethernet cables looping from one jack to the next, right?
You need to read the two links I posted, to understand how networking works. This is not telephone connections, you cannot just loop one jack to the next and expect it to work. Think of a Switch as a traffic cop standing at every intersection in say a five or eight block area. Those traffic cops have to direct traffic in a smooth flowing pattern, so that no vehicles hit each other, or get routed to the wrong intersection which can cause them to hit another vehicle (this is called a collision).

Those traffic cops are moving all vehicles in both directions on each connection on the switch, and also directing vehicles from each connection to another connection point, or in and out of the router through the modem, so that traffic can exit or enter from the outside world.

So since you have a router with a built in switch and wifi radio, which are placed where the modem are at, you still need a Patch panel, to connect all wires that come from the wall plates, so that you can connect those connections to the switch. Without the patch panel, again all you have is a bunch of wires hanging loose in a panel, doing nothing.
post #27 of 46 Old 09-01-2013, 11:21 AM

Great...I think I understand now...so, what do I do with the stripped wires at the punchdown... is that what the punch till is used for?

My only question left is.. what is the point of the Ethernet punchdown, if it still requires more to connect everything together? :-)
post #28 of 46 Old 09-01-2013, 11:29 AM

Quote:

Great...I think I understand now...so, what do I do with the stripped wires at the punchdown... is that what the punch till is used for?

My only question left is.. what is the point of the Ethernet punch down, if it still requires more to connect everything together? :-)
Cut off the stripped ends, and you punch them down into either a Patch panel, or the OnQ Patch Panel, as we have stated multiple times already. We cannot state it any other way, that you need to follow the directions given. If you feel that it is over your head, pay for someone to come and do the work, which is at most a half hour worth of labor to hook everything up and test it.
post #29 of 46 Old 09-01-2013, 10:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Quote:

My only question left is.. what is the point of the Ethernet punchdown, if it still requires more to connect everything together? :-)
What are the wires? Are they cat-5e wires? Are they labeled and do they have RJ45 connectors at the walls?

If they are, then they need to be punched down to the On-Q Ethernet punchdown panel, or they need to be terminated with RJ45 plugs.

Why have the punchdown panel? Because networking evolves but the cable tends to stay the same or similar. So, you may install a much larger switch than you need, or a smaller one, or something different. The use of a punchdown panel gives you more long term flexibility.

It's worth noting that you keep saying everything is like it is in the first few photos, but then you talk about having wires which sound like they are not currently punched down, which is completely different than the first few photos. If you have wires which aren't connected, but are just sitting there, then you may not even know where they go, or there may be equipment which is not appropriate, or something else.

I would take a few photos and post them if I were you to get some more directed help as it sounds like you are starting to get what you are looking at, but you may still be completely wrong since we can't see what you see.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #30 of 46 Old 09-06-2013, 08:50 AM

OK...I will take a few pictures this evening when I get home...but when I say it looks like the original picture, I am mainly referring to the second picture with the yellow wires coming into the black rectangular box (my wires are blue though and I have about 12-15 'slots' for the wiring to come in to, whereas this picture has 8). I do not have anything resembling the 4th picture and I already know what to do with the cable wires from the third picture.

Again, thank you for the replies, and I apologize if I am not fully understanding some of the things being said in them regarding equipment that may be necessary. I just want to be able to hook my internet router into the outlet in my office and be able to receive internet throughout all of the outlets in my home.

On a different note, what kind of professional would I call to help me with this OnQ wiring if I wanted/needed assistance? Is it an AV person?
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page