DO I USE AN RF REMOTE OR THE HDMI CEC - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 04-15-2013, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all
So I'm new to this forum and hope I'm on the correct forum for this question.
I've read some articles on this and most of you are much more informed on this stuff so forgive my ignorance but please try to keep this simple for my simple mind.
I'm upgrading to a 70" Visio TV, Yamaha RX-V673 receiver, and a Samsung BD-FM59C 3D blu ray player, along with the existing Cox dvr which is a Motorola DVX3400M.
I have a Universal Remote mx650 RF remote to operate what I currently have hidden in a closet.
My question is....should I continue to use my existing remote or should I try to control everything with the HDMI CEC which all of my new equipment will support?
Keep in mind that I'm not real sharp on this and my wife is far worse than I am. She wants to hit the power button, everything power up and then select what she wants to watch on the remote, and everything switch to correct inputs etc and start watching.
I think you guys are going to say keep my RF remote because of the horror stories I've read but thought I'd ask to give somebody a chance to tell me how wonderful HDMI is.
I just joined this forum and will probably be asking more questions when I start setting up my receiver.
Thanks in advance for the help!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 04-15-2013, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 376
CEC has mostly been a failure (so far) due to lack of support and/or interoperability.

Stick with the URC remote, as you'll need it for the non-CEC components anyway (set top box)...

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #3 of 16 Old 04-15-2013, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

CEC has mostly been a failure (so far) due to lack of support and/or interoperability.

Stick with the URC remote, as you'll need it for the non-CEC components anyway (set top box)...
Thanks Jautor
That seems to be what I read everywhere I look. When you say "set top box" are you referring to the Cox cable DVR? I thought that it would be CEC, maybe not.
Again thanks for the response. I've never heard of the HDMI CEC and when I first saw it it sounded like a sweet way to take care of everything. Should of know it was to good to be true.
post #4 of 16 Old 04-16-2013, 03:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Avoid CEC. It sucks. Also upgrade your remote. The 650 was ok 7 years ago. Look at the MX-780.
post #5 of 16 Old 04-17-2013, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 100
I've convinced that the TV's in HELL utilize CEC. That was the first thing I did when I got my new TV/receiver combo, is disable that. rolleyes.gif
post #6 of 16 Old 04-17-2013, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post

I've convinced that the TV's in HELL utilize CEC. That was the first thing I did when I got my new TV/receiver combo, is disable that. rolleyes.gif
Ok, you guys have convinced me. Thanks for the input.
Unfortunately I think that when I disable the CEC on my new 70" Vizio I won't be able to use the ARC feature. Hope fully I'm wrong because I was wanting to use the ARC for watching Netflix using the TVs app. My only connection between the tv and receiver is a wireless HDMI so without the ARC, I won't be able to get the audio to the receiver. im having a guy help me set it up in a couple days and will find out for sure then.
post #7 of 16 Old 04-17-2013, 06:59 PM

Liked: 19
I have never encountered a scenario where ARC worked when CEC was disabled, so that's an obstacle for you.
post #8 of 16 Old 04-18-2013, 05:51 AM - Thread Starter

Well, after reading more on this forum I'm starting to wonder if my wireless HDMI is going to work. I only have about 10-15 ft. to transmit through two walls but some on here say the A/V quality can be compromised. I guess I'll see. I have no way to test this except for my eyes and ears. Folks on here talk about compression and other terms using wireless HDMI (I know technically this isn't actually wireless HDMI but for lack of the correct term that's what I'll call it) but getting a wire from receiver to TV will be a real pain. I will post on here how it turns out. The posts I've read about the wireless HDMI are about a year old so maybe they have made some improvement in the technology. Ill keep you all posted.
I'm glad I found this forum. As I said earlier, I'm not very techie and this is a good resource to learn from. I appreciate the help!!
post #9 of 16 Old 04-18-2013, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 376
Do you have any wires available at both locations? You can run HDMI over ca5e or coax using several different products. Even if those wires all run back to a central wiring enclosure, this can work.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #10 of 16 Old 04-18-2013, 07:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 54
I have a vizio vxt3d650sv with CEC and had to turn it off to get what I wanted from an Onkyo ACR. As for wife's I learned a long time ago the best way is call kiss or keep it simple stupppppppid, mine just wants a remote for each unit and then only will use the DirecTV DVR. As far as the ACR I do not think its there, vizio states it will be on a firmware update. When I was redoing my install for the vizio, in 2 walls and an attic I included every thing that I could think of, optical, digital coax, new romax drops and outlets, a cable for the sub, an extra HDMI cable, 3 cat5e's an extra rg6 to both drops and so on. I do not like wireless and bet that HDMI wireless through walls may be real iffy at best.
post #11 of 16 Old 04-18-2013, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

Do you have any wires available at both locations? You can run HDMI over ca5e or coax using several different products. Even if those wires all run back to a central wiring enclosure, this can work.

Jeff
I think I have coax... Not sure, have to look. I know I have the 3 component input wires. Ill look into those devices.
Thanks
post #12 of 16 Old 05-22-2013, 11:02 AM

Liked: 16
I'll just mention that I'm using ARC and CEC similar to how you indend to use it. I've got an Onkyo CEC capable avr being the tx-NR616 and CEC capable TV. The tv is a brand new Hisense 55" tv model (Hisense is cheap because they manufacture their parts and are an OEM themselves and don't have to purchase them from an oem as vizio and most others do...so inexpensive for different reasons). Turning on CEC on the tv since I need the ARC, and this basic tv remote controlls everything on the AVR too. It's almost too good to be true but I never need the Onkyo remote but usually use the Onkyo iphone app anyway which also turns the tv on from the signal the receiver gets. So CEC works both ways. To use the ARC feature you have to have CEC turned on on the TV and in order for the Onkyo to accept the ARC signal (actually it shows the signal was being received but not outputting the audio) it was necessary to do a soft reset one time on the Onkyo. A soft reset is unplugging the avr for 5 minutes. My wife is absolutely and unabashadely tech illiterate. All she needs to do is hit the power button on the tv remote. I was also worried that she would need to even press two buttons as that would only serve to confuse her. If the kids get hold of the remote and crank up the volume, I just internally limited the volume that the avr can put out and the initial volume it can start at as well. It can't be cranked up accidently and can never start accidently at too high a level. In addition I use an RF extender for the IR signal to get back to the Onkyo which is 25 feet away in a closed cabinet. CEC is such a nice feature I can't believe how good it works.
post #13 of 16 Old 10-28-2013, 12:40 AM

Hi there,
I really hope someone can help me.

here is my setup....

Onkyo 818

Sharp TV (LE845U) --- conected to the Main monitor out of the onkyo (ARC) and hdmi 1 on tv (also ARC)

CISCO PVR 9865 NETBOX 3 conected to the CABLE/SAT hdmi of the onkyo

Apple TV connected to the STB/DVR input of the Onkyo

Up until yesterday, I had a NETBOX 2 PVR (Cisco 8642) connected instead of the above NETBOX 3, and everything was working perfectly, until I decided to upgrade.

*when I would turn on my tv, the onkyo would turn on.
*If I used my TV for Netflix, the onkyo would switch to the appropriate input and sound worked fine through the ARC.
*If i turned my TV off then the onkyo would turn off.
* the volume on both devices (TV & Receiver) was always synced and controled from either device.

All I did was unplug the old PVR, plug in the new one and now....
*Turn on my TV and ONKYO does nothing,. I have to turn it on and select the proper input.
*Netflix has no sound through the ARC.
*the volume of the receiver can not be controled by the TV like before.

All the settings for ARC & RiHD are set to ON on both the receiver and the TV, there are no options for these on the PVR.
I have rebooted everything several times.

Please help.
thanks
post #14 of 16 Old 09-30-2014, 01:11 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
(Resurrection) FWIW, I'm now able to do lots of HDMI-CEC tricks with a Samsung UN40ES6150 HDTV, Yamaha RX-V775 amp, and Panasonic BDT210 BD player (oldest component here I think). Both the Samsung and Yamaha remotes are able to control the player, including popup menus, etc., including control in the Netflix and Pandora VieraConnect apps.

This, even when Samsung calls it "Anynet" or similar

I think HDMI-CEC has come along. Really seems to depend upon units with latest versions of HDMI supported.

Modest "theater": Samsung UN40ES6150, Panasonic BDT210, Yamaha RXV775. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center.
post #15 of 16 Old 11-11-2014, 10:10 PM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post
(Resurrection) FWIW, I'm now able to do lots of HDMI-CEC tricks with a Samsung UN40ES6150 HDTV, Yamaha RX-V775 amp, and Panasonic BDT210 BD player (oldest component here I think). Both the Samsung and Yamaha remotes are able to control the player, including popup menus, etc., including control in the Netflix and Pandora VieraConnect apps.

This, even when Samsung calls it "Anynet" or similar

I think HDMI-CEC has come along. Really seems to depend upon units with latest versions of HDMI supported.
In my set-up HDMI-CEC is working great except for one thing!!! I'll describe my setup, how everything works and this one issue below.

Here is my setup:
TV: Samsung UN60H6400AFXZC (anynet+ CEC support)
AVR: Sony STR-DH550 (CEC HDMI Control Support)
STB: TIVO T6 TCD848000 (NO CEC Support)

STB connected to SAT/CBL HDMI on receiver
AVR connected from monitor out to HDMI 2 (ARC) input on TV.

The TIVO is always on (thats just how TIVO works)
Turning on the TV turns on the AVR. The TV remains switched to the last used input
when using Smart TV apps etc. the AVR automatically switches to TV (ARC) and plays proper audio from the TV.
When I switch the TV to HDMI 2, the receiver switches to SAT/CBL and TIVO plays fine...

If I turn off the TV, the AVR goes off too...

Everything seems to be working great!!!!

Here is the problem:

TV State: HDMI 2
AVR State: SAT/CBL (everything is working great with regards to CEC)

turn tv off... TV and AVR go off.
here comes the problem
turn tv on...

TV and AVR come on..

I believe things happen in this sequence:

TV comes on, AVR comes on, AVR is on TV input, TV is on HDMI2 input, AVR goes to SAT/CBL input.. .. everything seems great boom receiver changes to TV and audio drops off from the TIVO..

If I turn things off, the whole situation repeats...

to alleviate the problem, you can either cycle the tv inputs from HDMI 2 to TV ... then back to HDMI 2.. the switch back to HDMI 2 causes the AVR to switch back to SAT/CBL and all is well..

or grab the AVR remote and switch the AVR source to SAT/CBL directly..

I cannot figure out why the receiver does so much switching on power up. It only happens when HDMI control is enabled. If I disable HDMI control, the receiver just boots up with the last used source active.

Ive googled and fooled around forever but it looks like this is the way it works.

Another thing to note about my setup is that HDMi passthrough is on on the receiver so that if I ever turn the receiver off manually it breaks the CEC and the receiver passes audio/video from TIVO through to tv..

turning tv on/off leaves the receiver off until someone manually turns the receiver on again.. This is useful since I just make sure the receiver is manually off before leaving the system for family...

It would be better if I could get that auto input switch to tv to stop happening but I kind of give up on it. Im not sure if its the TV telling the AVR to switch, or the AVR just auto switching... Maybe it has to do with lack of CEC support on the TIVO.. I am not sure.. Any help would be appreciated but I am happy with how CEC is working in my system with the exception of this auto switch at power up.
post #16 of 16 Old 11-11-2014, 10:15 PM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by geogolem View Post
If I turn things off, the whole situation repeats...
What I mean, is that if i turn things off, and then back on the situation repeats...

I dont have another CEC enabled device but I think it would be worth a shot to get a CEC enabled blu ray player connected to the AVR on another input and see how that behaves. This peculiar behavior might because the TIVO doesnt support HDMI CEC (and maybe because it doesnt go on or off at all)...
Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page