New to 2 zone audio - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 04-19-2013, 05:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just moved into our new house about a month ago and the house is somewhat wired. Currently there are speaker wires out on patio coming from the walls back to an outside outlet,but nothing going back into the house. They are shielded 16ga speaker wires. I just purcahsed some Kicker KB600 outdoor speakers that I would like to add to my system. I have a Denon AVR- 890 that I woudl like to use the zone 2 speakers connections. How should I wire this? I was thinking the following:

Denon 890 surround back/zone 2 speaker posts > in wall/attic to an outdoor volume control junction box> speaker wire to Kicker outdoor speakers.

Is this how I should wire? What outdoor volume control is best? What type of speaker wire? Anything else I should know/recommend?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-19-2013, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 341
For a retrofit, getting a volume control on the wall can be difficult, and since you're running the 2nd zone speakers directly from a 2nd-zone output (by themselves), you already have a volume control in the Denon. So you can skip the volume control altogether, and just figure out a remote control solution for outside. A separate RF-capable remote for outside, or my favorite cheap solution for these situations - any cheap universal remote (the URC WR7) and the "Next Generation Remote Control Extender" to turn it into an RF solution.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #3 of 8 Old 04-19-2013, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter

Would this be the easiet way to wire it? Why would an outdoor volume control not work or is it a bad way to do it? Also if I went with this route how does the extender work?

One more question what type of wire should I use? Do I just run wire from the denon to the outlet box existing wire and splice them together?

Tom
post #4 of 8 Old 04-19-2013, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Reed View Post

Would this be the easiet way to wire it? Why would an outdoor volume control not work or is it a bad way to do it? Also if I went with this route how does the extender work?

It will work, it's just hard to do for most retrofits, and duplicates the volume control function you already have. Can provide a convenient way to adjust the volume, though, if you can run the wire.
Quote:
One more question what type of wire should I use? Do I just run wire from the denon to the outlet box existing wire and splice them together?

Outdoor-grade speaker wire (or landscape lighting wire once you're out of the house) for anything exposed to the elements (water and UV). And yes, for retrofit, run them to wherever you can get to - if running to the existing outlet is easier, do that, otherwise run directly to the speakers and abandon the outlet box.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 

post #5 of 8 Old 04-19-2013, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the help. I will have to double check what I can get to and see if I can wire the way you suggest.

If I go with the extender what do you recommedn?

Also if I do use a outdoor volume control what kind is the best? I generally order items from Monoprice.

Thanks again for your help.

Tom
post #6 of 8 Old 04-19-2013, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

The "Next Generation Remote Control Extender" :

http://www.amazon.com/Next-Generation-Remote-Control-Extender/dp/B000C1Z0HA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1366394670&sr=8-1&keywords=next+generation+remote+control+extender

And since you're only hooking up one pair, so impedance-matching isn't an issue, any volume control will do. If it will be exposed, yes, use an outdoor-rated volume control.

Jeff

post #7 of 8 Old 04-19-2013, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

One more question... I think I will go with the volume control. Since there already is a wall plate where the wires come in can I use a regular in wall volume control. I see that the outdoor volume controls looked like they are mounted outside the wall and not inside. What application would be best?

Tom
post #8 of 8 Old 04-19-2013, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

If it's exposed to the weather, certainly a full cover over it would be recommended. But in either case, any control will be fine as long as it's protected from the elements. And yes, many of the outdoor ones are designed to be added as a surface mount box.

Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page