Newb needs advice for new home construction audio setup - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 04-22-2013, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am buying a new construction home and have chosen to have them install 4 pairs of Klipsch (not sure the exact model, they are charging me $330 for the speakers and install) in-ceiling speakers in 4 rooms; the kitchen, garage, master bed, and outside. Each pair of speakers will have a volume control knob in that room and all wires will be run to my family room. In the family room I plan on having a 5.1 surround system for my TV, something along the lines of the Aperion Verus Grand system. I want my whole home system to be able to play whatever my TV is outputting, but I also want the whole home system to be able to play an ipod/computer/radio while the Aperion's output whatever is on the TV.

My question is, what are some recommendations for separates in this kind of configuration? Preferably something in the mid-range pricewise. How would I go about setting everything up? Do I need 2 amps? What options are there for being able to control the whole home audio music selections remotely since there are no keypads? Any other suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-22-2013, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 350
First, ask the builder to run cat5e cables to the volume control locations as well as speaker wire, so that you can upgrade to keypads in the future.

An AVR with Zone2 support will get you what you want. These can be either unpowered zones (requiring an external amp, which can be had for <$100), or powered by the AVR itself. Many 7.1 AVRs offer the ability to use two of the surround amps as a Zone2 amp pair instead (making it a 5.1 system + Zone2).

Then you attach all your sources to the AVR, and select everything from there. A modern, network-capable AVR will have built-in Internet streaming support, and many have Airplay or Bluetooth to handle iPod content. They also have "apps" to control the AVR remotely - which is really important when you don't have keypads...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #3 of 12 Old 04-22-2013, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter

Would I need to run the 4 pairs of home speaker wires to something before the receiver? Any recommendations for separates based on the speaker selections?
post #4 of 12 Old 04-22-2013, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by applesauce683 View Post

Would I need to run the 4 pairs of home speaker wires to something before the receiver?

As long as there's an impedance-matching device somewhere in the chain, no. A speaker selector will make it "easier", but you can just wire-nut the wires together. A short pigtail wire to the bundle will be much easier to make the connection.
Quote:
Any recommendations for separates based on the speaker selections?

Any amp/AVR will be just fine...

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 

post #5 of 12 Old 04-22-2013, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter

Would this be a good setup?

Marantz AV7701
Marantz MM7055 - for 5.1 speakers in family room
Russound R850MC - for house speakers

Or get a 7.1 or higher main amp and use that to power house speakers? I just want to make sure I am getting the full sound out of the house speakers.
post #6 of 12 Old 04-22-2013, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

For the price of that Russound piece you could get a WHA controller / amp that would provide significantly more functionality (see HTD.com for examples). The multichannel amp driven with a single source (the zone2 output from the pre-amp) doesn't provide much value over a cheap amp and a speaker selector, especially when there are in-room volume controls.

post #7 of 12 Old 04-22-2013, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

So something like the Niles SI-250 with a speaker selector instead of the Russound amp.
post #8 of 12 Old 04-22-2013, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, and there are cheaper solutions. I prefer zone amps with automatic on/off (audio sense) unless you know you have 12V triggers available. Dayton and AudioSource amps are excellent values for zone amps.

post #9 of 12 Old 04-22-2013, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter

So assuming they install 3 pairs of Klipsch CDT-3650-C II and one pair of AW-650, what Audiosource amp would you recommend? What speaker selector? Is this enough power to have all speakers running at the same time with loud & clear sound? The main thing I don't have much knowledge in is what settings to select on the amp, like 4ohm or 8ohm, those terms are foreign to me.
post #10 of 12 Old 04-22-2013, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So assuming they install 3 pairs of Klipsch CDT-3650-C II and one pair of AW-650, what Audiosource amp would you recommend? What speaker selector? Is this enough power to have all speakers running at the same time with loud & clear sound?

Depends on your definition of loud. Most whole house audio systems are only 20-40W/ch, which will be more than enough for decent background music, but not enough for a rave...

With the outdoor zone, you'll probably want more headroom, and this will also depend on how many zones you run at the same time. Turning the other zones off from the speaker selector (not just from the volume controls, unless they have a true "off" disconnect) will help. Any speaker selector will be fine, but again, you need an impedance-matching device in there somewhere (either in the speaker selector or the volume controls). Something like the AMP-210 would be good.
Quote:
The main thing I don't have much knowledge in is what settings to select on the amp, like 4ohm or 8ohm, those terms are foreign to me.

This is the impedance the speaker presents to the amplifier. Most speakers are 8 ohms, some are 4 ohms. Some amps will handle the lower 4 ohm rating fine, others cannot - the amp specs will tell you. When speakers are connected in parallel, this affects the load - two pairs of 8 ohm speakers in parallel equates to a 4 ohm load. Which is why we have "impedance matching" devices in the chain somewhere - to counterbalance that effect so as not to overdrive the amp...

post #11 of 12 Old 04-23-2013, 06:38 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, last question. Would I be better off with this setup:

Marantz AV7701
Marantz MM7055
Audiosource AMP210

or this setup:

Onkyo TX-NR3010 or 5010 or Pioneer SC-68 (would be able to biamp front speakers and also power home speakers)
post #12 of 12 Old 04-23-2013, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ok, last question. Would I be better off with this setup:

Marantz AV7701
Marantz MM7055
Audiosource AMP210

or this setup:

Onkyo TX-NR3010 or 5010 or Pioneer SC-68 (would be able to biamp front speakers and also power home speakers)

From the 2nd zone perspective, probably not a lot of difference - and any other feature differences, pricing, and user interface(s) / apps would drive my decision anyway...

Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page