New home with ceiling mounted speakers and volume control - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 04-22-2013, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
drunkenmastera's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So we just brought a house with 14 or 16 speakers. I have not counted them all yet. However they look like this:




And these are the wires. There was 15 of the



I am assuming some of those wires are speakers and some are the volume control? They have already been install on ceiling and the volume controls are all in different rooms.

I have a pioneer 1522k with a 5.1 system already. I like to be able to use the zone feature of the receiver.

However, I like to integrate all of those 14 to 16 speakers into the receiver as well.

How can I hook up all of those speakers and add them into the receiver? I ask this already in speakers, thought I could get some better explanation. Someone recommend a niles sms-10 but I have no idea what this does besides it being able to accept 10 speakers.

drunkenmastera is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 Old 04-22-2013, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jautor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 8,265
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 376
The four-conductor cables (red/black/green/white) are speaker wires for each pair. If there are 8 pairs of speakers, and you have 8 of those, plus 8 more, hopefully those other wires are cat5e - which would allow you to install keypads now or in the future in place of simple volume controls.

Assuming the volume controls are impedance-matching (you should pull one out of the wall to get the make/model to be sure), you could connect all 8 pairs to an AVR. The SMS-10 would only be needed if those VC's are NOT impedance-matching. A speaker selector may make it easier to connect all of these pairs together, but it's really just a matter of wire-nut splicing them together in parallel.

For that many rooms (zones), though, you should start thinking about a "whole house audio" system, especially if you have cat5e wires available for keypads. Having this many rooms connected to a single zone limits its usefulness to parties, really.


Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
jautor is offline  
post #3 of 10 Old 04-22-2013, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Neurorad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Give a monkey a brain...
Posts: 5,110
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 81
If your volume controls are impedance matching, you would do something like this, using zone 2 of your AVR:



If they are not impedance matching, you would use a speaker selector box:



If the sound is not loud enough, you would use a multichannel amp between the AVR and the speakers:



More details on the Crutchfield website.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
Neurorad is offline  
post #4 of 10 Old 04-22-2013, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
drunkenmastera's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

The four-conductor cables (red/black/green/white) are speaker wires for each pair. If there are 8 pairs of speakers, and you have 8 of those, plus 8 more, hopefully those other wires are cat5e - which would allow you to install keypads now or in the future in place of simple volume controls.

Assuming the volume controls are impedance-matching (you should pull one out of the wall to get the make/model to be sure), you could connect all 8 pairs to an AVR. The SMS-10 would only be needed if those VC's are NOT impedance-matching. A speaker selector may make it easier to connect all of these pairs together, but it's really just a matter of wire-nut splicing them together in parallel.

For that many rooms (zones), though, you should start thinking about a "whole house audio" system, especially if you have cat5e wires available for keypads. Having this many rooms connected to a single zone limits its usefulness to parties, really.

Jeff

it was my bad. 10 Green shield cables attached above. It was 18 speakers total. There's already volume control which I have attached at the bottom.
4 blue additional wires which I don't think is hook up to any speakers. There's no cat5. This receiver has multi-zone feature 2,3,4 so I'll just use that. I'm pretty satisfy with that many zone. I don't really have a need for more.

so i made this diagram. i think that's how they are wired.
I went through the house and look at all the speakers and volume control.
i have no idea what is impedance matching? They're all the same speakers and same volume control judging by the looks of it.
remember i'm still attaching the 5.1 set to this receiver as well.



drunkenmastera is offline  
post #5 of 10 Old 04-26-2013, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
drunkenmastera's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
any thoughts on how to incorporate all of them into the current setup?

drunkenmastera is offline  
post #6 of 10 Old 04-26-2013, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jautor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 8,265
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 376
Neurorad's post explained it pretty completely. "Impedance matching" is required for attaching more than 1-2 pairs of speakers to a single amp channel-pair. The Crutchfield link he provided has a lot of additional detail.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
jautor is offline  
post #7 of 10 Old 04-26-2013, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
drunkenmastera's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
any easy way to find if they're impedance matching?
if they are impedance matching?
How can I do the following? Is it simple to just using banana plugs?
quote: it's really just a matter of wire-nut splicing them together in parallel.

how is this achieve?

drunkenmastera is offline  
post #8 of 10 Old 04-26-2013, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jautor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 8,265
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkenmastera View Post

any easy way to find if they're impedance matching?
if they are impedance matching?

Take one out and look at it, find the make/model and Google it. If there's a jumper / switch that says something like "1X / 2X / 4X", that's what you're looking for...
Quote:
How can I do the following? Is it simple to just using banana plugs?
quote: it's really just a matter of wire-nut splicing them together in parallel.

how is this achieve?

Use a wire nut or a splice block like Neurorad suggested.


Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
jautor is offline  
post #9 of 10 Old 04-26-2013, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
drunkenmastera's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

Take one out and look at it, find the make/model and Google it. If there's a jumper / switch that says something like "1X / 2X / 4X", that's what you're looking for...
Use a wire nut or a splice block like Neurorad suggested.


when you said splice block, you mean connecting block?
when you suggested wire nut: maybe I'm missing the point where they're all connecting?
I would use a wire nut to wire the pair together and then what?

I'll check to see if they're matching today.
Thanks for the info!

drunkenmastera is offline  
post #10 of 10 Old 04-26-2013, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jautor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 8,265
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkenmastera View Post

when you said splice block, you mean connecting block?

Yes.
Quote:
when you suggested wire nut: maybe I'm missing the point where they're all connecting?
I would use a wire nut to wire the pair together and then what?

A "pigtail". Another short piece of wire spliced in with the rest of them, that goes from your wire-nut splice to the equipment. So with 4 speakers, you have 5 wires. The fifth goes to the amp. It's the same as a connecting block without the block. A block makes it cleaner and easier to deal with... Go with that.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
jautor is offline  
Reply Home A/V Distribution

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off