New Construction - wiring for audio keypads necessary? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 04-22-2013, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank you for all of the great advice you provide.

I am a month away from breaking ground on a 4600 sq foot two story home and am planning my pre-wire which I will do with the electrician.

I am pretty much settled on how to future-proof (i think) and am planning on "home running" everything to a dedicated room in the basement that is centrally located. I am planning to put in an integrated system that will consist of HAI and Savant. Time and funds will depend on the Savant portion but HAI for security and lutron radiora2 for lights and hvac initially. I also want to plan for whole house audio for all rooms but will probably just put the speakers into about 8 zones to start with a potential of 12 tops.

My plan is to run bundled wire (2cat6 + 2 rg6) to each potential TV location (all bedrooms, etc), and at lease 2 cat6 in most other rooms for ethernet/phone. I don't plan on running fiber given what most have said on this forum but will run at least 1 if not 2 conduits from attic to control room in basement.

A question I have (and this may show my lack of knowledge in this area) is in the two areas where I know I will initially place televisions (family room and guest room), should I run HDMI cables (maybe 50ft runs) or just use the HDMI over cat6 for those areas from the bundled wire?

Another main question I have is with respect to wiring for whole house audio and which systems to consider. My understanding is that most recommend running 14/4 to a keypad location and then 14/2 to each speaker in that zone. I was also going to run cat6 to each keypad location and perhaps 18/2 as well since I am not exactly sure what keypads (if any) will need to be placed to properly control the speakers and/or home automation. What if we go with a system that is run mainly from an iphone or iPad? How are the speakers then run? Do I splice the 14/4 with the 14/2 (x2) and put a plate over that?

Regarding home automation, I would have at least one dedicated touch panel based upon the system we go with and probably some in-wall ipad mini's in strategic locations and I would wire for these as well.

Thank you for any and all advice and suggestions/clarifications?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-22-2013, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by parrothead123 View Post

I am planning to put in an integrated system that will consist of HAI and Savant. Time and funds will depend on the Savant portion but HAI for security and lutron radiora2 for lights and hvac initially. I also want to plan for whole house audio for all rooms but will probably just put the speakers into about 8 zones to start with a potential of 12 tops.

If you expect to install a Savant or other dealer-installed product, you should consult with one of them prior to wiring to make sure you've got adequate coverage...
Quote:
A question I have (and this may show my lack of knowledge in this area) is in the two areas where I know I will initially place televisions (family room and guest room), should I run HDMI cables (maybe 50ft runs) or just use the HDMI over cat6 for those areas from the bundled wire?

Either can work, for runs of that length a Redmere HDMI cable plus enough cat6 is probably a prudent solution.
Quote:
What if we go with a system that is run mainly from an iphone or iPad? How are the speakers then run? Do I splice the 14/4 with the 14/2 (x2) and put a plate over that?

Yes, you splice them at the keypad location. If you think you'll go that route and don't want to have blank plates in each room, you'd replace the 14/4 with home runs of the 14/2, then bury those and the cat6 keypad wiring behind the drywall to be pulled out in the future if needed. Same for zones you don't plan on using right away - pre-wire as many rooms as you can, bury the speaker wires and document them.
Quote:
Regarding home automation, I would have at least one dedicated touch panel based upon the system we go with and probably some in-wall ipad mini's in strategic locations and I would wire for these as well.

cat6/cat5e to potential keypad locations should suffice. I wish I had run some more 'hidden' locations in primary hallway locations where a future automation panel would be placed...

Jeff
parrothead123 likes this.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #3 of 3 Old 04-22-2013, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Jeff, thank you very much for your reply. Savant is based upon mostly ipads and ipod touches which I understand can be wall mounted with POE via cat6. I also have a bid from an Elan G dealer and he suggested a similar wiring scheme but with audio volume controls with override.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page