Where to start mounting a TV above this fireplace...pics included. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 04-22-2013, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

We're about to move into a new house and would like to mount our 46' LCD above the fireplace pictured above. Having never done this before I have a few questions:

The house is in San Jose, CA. Does anyone have recommendations of someone who can do this? Also, an idea of typical cost? There is no power up there, and the cable connection is on the wall near the floor on the right hand side.

Any help is very gratefully accepted!

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-22-2013, 02:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
why not mount it in the corner above the power/coax? you would avoid glare from the natural light to the right. I would just arrange the furniture to face the corner and use a swivel mount to face the tv towards the center of the room.
post #3 of 7 Old 04-22-2013, 10:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Agree, over the fireplace is about the worst spot to put a display, have no idea why that idea ever caught on.

Depending on the home's construction, it could be easy or very difficult to get wiring up there. It depends on what is on the other side of the wall. Exterior? Garage?

Personally I'd mount it on either side wall, or failing that on the brick itself on one side or the other of the firebox.
post #4 of 7 Old 04-23-2013, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Yeah, TV's positioned above the fireplace are hard on the neck trying to watch them that high up. You wouldn't think it was that big a deal, until you spend a lot of money and end up hating the setup.
post #5 of 7 Old 05-03-2013, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post

Yeah, TV's positioned above the fireplace are hard on the neck trying to watch them that high up. You wouldn't think it was that big a deal, until you spend a lot of money and end up hating the setup.

^^This. I just put mine in front of the fireplace in my apartment.
post #6 of 7 Old 05-05-2013, 06:55 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have seen many TVs mounted above fireplaces, have done many myself and recently changed my family room layout to mount mine as well. Unless you mount it at the top of a wall that has 10 foot ceilings or you want to sit 3 feet from the TV viewing is not a strain, especially with todays TVs. I would assume you want the TV centered above the fireplace...have an electrician run a power line to a recessed plug box at the location where you want the TV. You do NOT need to run a cable...purchase an IOGEAR wireless HD digital kit (GW3DHDKIT)...this is rated as the best wireless HDMI system. It alows you to transmit TV from the cable box to TV without a wire. The transmitter plugs in to your cable box via HDMI. The receiver is about the size of a hockey puck so can be mounted and hidden behind the TV and plugs into the TV with an HDMI as well as gets its power from a USB port on the TV. Set up is easy and picture and sound quality are excellent with no lag or delay. Depending on your TV you could also mount a bluetooth sound bar below the TV for quality sound.
-p
post #7 of 7 Old 05-05-2013, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 46
TVs should be at eye level... not way above.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

Tags
Tv Above Fireplace

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page