Ending up Updating - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 04-22-2013, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
A few months ago I could not play my whole house audio because the serial board in the Russound CAV apparently blew. Had my "guy" over to double check that was the problem and went from sending it back, once again, to Russound to replacing it with Sonos. Then we started talking some more and he said at the time (7 years ago) you had the latest and greatest...and I did, not in price though. So as we are going through the system and telling him what a want to do and where tech is now, I can, bring everything up to date fairly inexpensively. Obviously, the major portion of retrofit is running cables and that is done and we "future-proofed" the cabling by pulling extra. We even said at the time that this may never be necessary because wireless is getting so good. However, you can never replace the speed of hard wire.

So, in doing my homework, I came across the fact that people are using multiple Apple TVs for whole house audio applications. If so it brings the cost/room down by $200. I also like the fact that doing it this way, like Sonos, you can do a room at a time. I don't use two extra bedrooms...in fact in 7 years I still haven't put speakers in them...though cables are there. My question is, has anyone come across any down side to doing whole house with ATV vs. Sonos? He did not suggest Apple, nor did we talk about it. He nows I am big on Apple.

I also plan to replace all my OmniTouches, save one, to wall mounted iTouches and iPads. Which brings me to the last area, surveillance. May have to go to a differant forum. But with the new wall mouths. will be able to finally see additional cameras I want to ad over internet when I am away from home.

Teching out your home out is definitely great but you got to give it a "fresh coat of paint" every so often. Otherwise you will end up with those things on the wall I remember in my grandsparents house and friends houses in the 60s. They something called "intercoms" but not one ever worked!

IF someone can point me in the right direction with the whole house, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-22-2013, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Your 'guy' should be telling you what's possible, with AppleTV, Sonos, alarm, cams, and control. Maybe you need to find a new 'guy', that understands your needs and budget. Unless, of course, you want to install and configure everything yourself. If that is the case, AVS is full of useful threads, and cocoontech forums are another good resource (especially for alarms - Home Security, Elk, and HAI subforums). I doubt your alarm needs updating - just put in new keypads and/or use an iPad/android app.

Keep in mind, it can take a lot of time to figure out all this stuff - one of the reasons custom electronics installation is as expensive as plumbing, electrical, and HVAC service.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #3 of 3 Old 04-23-2013, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
ATV should work, but it is going to have it's quirks too. Namely, you are going to have to turn the TV on to control it because you'll need the visual interface. With Sonos, I don't think you would have to have the display on to control it because they make other tuners/devices. Also, ATVs don't have any speaker amplification because they are designed to be plugged into a TV or stereo system that would provide the amplification. This means you'll either have to listen to the music through the TV speakers (which are normally pretty bad), or you'll still have to buy some other equipment to power the speakers.

- Brian

CQC user since 2005

SageTV user since 2007

PBX in a Flash user since 2012

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page