Wiring this week. HDMI or Cat6 - DirecTV Samsung RVU? coax needed? 3 bids $4k, $9K, $13K Help please - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 04-23-2013, 12:14 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I've been stressing about this for weeks trying to figure this out, I figure the experts here will know the definitive answer.

I'm remodeling my house it's 3 floors 3,500 sq feet. But only the kitchen/bathrooms are getting gutted with an additional dining room ceiling. So some of the cabling will be easy, others will require fishing thru walls, etc.

I've had 3 bids and now probably more confused then ever.

I really want to future proof the house, and eventually see myself doing some home automation like shades, lighting, cameras, thermostat, skylight controls, fans, etc. But given the budget & all the upcoming innovations I'm doing that probably in a year or 2.

Right now the priority is video/audio distribution. Here are the rooms. The main rack where I was thinking all the equipment would go is the in the upstairs Den.

1. Main TV family room. Ceiling mounted Projector, 7.2 sound system to a fixed screen. Wife doesn't want any equipment in this room.

2. Upstairs Den. 55-65" TV, possibly a sonos zone

3. Master bedroom - 50" TV

4. Guest room TV

Then for music I was probably going to do sonos, but for those rooms where there is in wall speakers do I also wire a volume control knob? If so, is it just in serial?

Big question is for those 4 TV's. I was probably going to do DirecTV. I was reading about the new HR44 and the Genie whole house system. I haven't bought the 3 TV's yet so does anyone know about the Samsung RVU capable TV's? Do I just need to plug ethernet to those tv's and they act as directv clients?

I also have a few TB of movies on a synology file server. I want all the TV's to have access to the library. I was thinking of the samsung TV's now run PLEX, then I would get a mac mini for the transcoding of the MKV files.

Or do I run HDMI cables locally to a directv box and a boxee box (how I currently have it) in each room? It's 2 remotes in each room which kind of sucks.

For the main TV family room the receiver will be in the rack in the upstairs den. Do I do a IR repeater? I was looking at the new harmony remote
http://www.engadget.com/2013/04/16/logitech-harmony-ultimate-smart-control/

I eventually do want to move to probably a control4 system to then control everything but not 100% sure. for now the important thing is to control TV/audio.

I've had 3 bids. 1 was a more simple low voltage guy who would just wire for 5 days or so. the other 2 were more of the home automation/ home theater installers. Also just low voltage wiring but bid 3X the other guy.

So i think I'm going with the 4K bid but I think i need to be much more explicit in wiring instructions.

Do I wire Cat6 anywhere I might someday have a touch panel? How many cat6 do I wire for each TV? Do I do that AND HDMI cables since HDMI I think would be cheaper since I wouldn't need a balun at each spot right?

Do I run coax for the directv to each room?

thanks! this is harder than I thought. I'm in manhattan beach and will buy anyone lunch if they are local and can help me walk thru all this! smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-23-2013, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 365
How did you get any accurate quotes if you don't know what cabling you're running, to what locations, and in what quantities? Or did you just ask for "5 days of labor"?

DirecTV RVU clients I believe are only "certified" over MoCA (coax), which you should be running to every TV location regardless.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #3 of 6 Old 04-23-2013, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

How did you get any accurate quotes if you don't know what cabling you're running, to what locations, and in what quantities? Or did you just ask for "5 days of labor"?

DirecTV RVU clients I believe are only "certified" over MoCA (coax), which you should be running to every TV location regardless.

It was mostly the layout above with cat6 or speakers for those rooms. It wasn't really 5 days of labor, but it was locations and approximately what I wanted to do. Figuring it was mostly labor and that the difference between 2 cat6 and 3 cat6 to the same location shouldn't be that big since they are already doing the run it's nominal.

It shouldn't have been that big of a spread. I just got btw a call from my lowest bidder and unfortunately he's traveling next week so can't do my project..

so now i'm stuck with the 2 more expensive guys. frown.gif I'd love to give them more specifics to hopefully lower the cost a bit.
post #4 of 6 Old 04-23-2013, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetfreaky View Post

I really want to future proof the house
You cannot. The best you can do is install conduit, the bigger the better. Install any wiring now outside of it and leave it empty except for a pull string, for future use.
Quote:
Do I wire Cat6 anywhere I might someday have a touch panel?
It is a good idea. Also, at least two cables for each TV location, one for an HDMI extender and one for ethernet.
Quote:
Do I run coax for the directv to each room?
Most people would.
post #5 of 6 Old 04-23-2013, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetfreaky View Post

Figuring it was mostly labor and that the difference between 2 cat6 and 3 cat6 to the same location shouldn't be that big since they are already doing the run it's nominal.
Most installers will charge you as much for the third cable to a location as for the first.
post #6 of 6 Old 04-26-2013, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Coax and Cat-6 to each room is the minimum. Beyond that, it's whatever specific stuff you want.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page