A few simple questions (HTPC) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 27 Old 04-24-2013, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Reading of a lot of people getting a lot of cat6 cables run in their rooms. What all are they used for?

Fairly new to this HTPC setup. Do I use an HDMI cable to hook the HTPC to the receiver or a cat6 and is that all I need?

Also, I have a wireless router up on the second level which runs wifi to the basement no problem. Would this be sufficient or Should I get a second wireless router in the basement to plug the HTPC in to?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 04-24-2013, 04:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
You need hdmi to connect the pc to the receiver. Hdmi will transfer video and audio signals.

Cat5 (or cat6 if your devices support it) are network cables to share data or remote controls across your network.
If you want to stream 1080p content you Probably need network cables, Otherwise wifi will be fine too
post #3 of 27 Old 04-24-2013, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Oh ok so through the HDMI hooked up to the Receiver and HTPC, I can play movies stored on my HTPC correct? Or does a cat6 need to be run between the two as well.

I'm going to be accessing all of this through iRule on a Kindle Fire.

post #4 of 27 Old 04-25-2013, 07:52 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
You will need three cables:

1 x hdmi : PC to AVR
1 x ethernet (cat5/6): PC to router
1 x Ethernet : AVR to router
mijotter likes this.
post #5 of 27 Old 05-08-2013, 12:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #6 of 27 Old 06-04-2013, 01:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Would this cable work for both the HDMI AND ethernet to save on cable and money? It's an HDMI cord with ethernet.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10250&cs_id=1025005&p_id=6051&seq=1&format=2

post #7 of 27 Old 06-04-2013, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by mijotter View Post

Would this cable work for both the HDMI AND ethernet to save on cable and money? It's an HDMI cord with ethernet.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10250&cs_id=1025005&p_id=6051&seq=1&format=2

Unfortunately, no. That's what it's designed to do, but AFAIK, there are no products on the market that actually implement the Ethernet-over-HDMI feature...

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #8 of 27 Old 06-04-2013, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Reading of a lot of people getting a lot of cat6 cables run in their rooms. What all are they used for?

Fairly new to this HTPC setup. Do I use an HDMI cable to hook the HTPC to the receiver or a cat6 and is that all I need?

Also, I have a wireless router up on the second level which runs wifi to the basement no problem. Would this be sufficient or Should I get a second wireless router in the basement to plug the HTPC in to?

The reason you read so much about cat6 cables being run is that they can be converted to do a lot of different things when connected to the right equipment. The main purpose cat5e/cat6 is used is for ethernet or to pass a wired internet connection. However if you buy a special device called a balun you can pass lots of other types of signals over a cat6 cable. A very useful one in home A/V is called HD-BaseT which allows you to pass an HDMI signal over a cat6 cable over 300ft. You need an HD-BaseT converter device on each end of the cable from which an HDMI cable goes to the TV or receiver or source equipment (like your HTPC).

So if your HTPC is located close to the TV you would simply run the HDMI cable. If however your HTPC was in the basement and your receiver or TV was upstairs, it would be much simpler to run a cat6 cable between the two rather than an HDMI cable b/c you can't properly terminate an HDMI cable yourself and also HDMI cables start becoming more prone to issues once you go over 20-25 feet and definitely over 50 feet.

Other things cat6 can pass in addition to hdmi is other forms of video, audio, control, ir, internet and a lot more.
post #9 of 27 Old 07-09-2013, 03:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just to make sure...the Onkyo 809 is capable of streaming HD video from a HTPC right?

post #10 of 27 Old 07-10-2013, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Anyone?

post #11 of 27 Old 07-10-2013, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just to make sure...the Onkyo 809 is capable of streaming HD video from a HTPC right?

I don't think any of the AVRs will stream video - you need a source device (Roku, ATV, etc.) for video... The DLNA and Internet radio streaming services built into the AVRs, AFAIK, are all "audio only".

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
post #12 of 27 Old 07-10-2013, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Oh wow. But as far as playing the BD from my HTPC in HD video and audio the Onkyo 809 can do?

How would I go about playing video's that are on my HTPC, not BD but video projects i've done?

post #13 of 27 Old 07-10-2013, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Oh wow. But as far as playing the BD from my HTPC in HD video and audio the Onkyo 809 can do?

Same as any HDMI source - the HD video is rendered by the source, and passes through the AVR (which extracts the audio along the way).
Quote:
How would I go about playing video's that are on my HTPC, not BD but video projects i've done?

Well, the HTPC would normally be the source, and would output video via HDMI... If you're trying to do this over the network, you'll need an HD video/streamer device (HDHomeRun, XBMC device, etc.).

post #14 of 27 Old 07-10-2013, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ok good to know. I will have an HDMI cable connected from the AVR to the HTPC. Would I still need a streamer device?

post #15 of 27 Old 07-10-2013, 10:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ok good to know. I will have an HDMI cable connected from the AVR to the HTPC. Would I still need a streamer device?

No, your HTPC is providing HDMI output, so whatever comes out of it - there you go...

post #16 of 27 Old 07-11-2013, 12:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

ok good to know. So what would having a Roku or HDhomerun benefit me if any since I'll have the HTPC?

Also, is it possible for my HTPC to be accessed by a Kindle Fire HD via iRule?

post #17 of 27 Old 07-11-2013, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

ok good to know. So what would having a Roku or HDhomerun benefit me if any since I'll have the HTPC?

They pull content over Ethernet from a PC or NAS storage, allowing it to show anywhere Ethernet is wired in the house.
Quote:
Also, is it possible for my HTPC to be accessed by a Kindle Fire HD via iRule?

Will depend on the software you're using to run the HTPC. Questions better asked in the HTPC forum...

post #18 of 27 Old 07-11-2013, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

will do thanks. Is it possible to pull the content and show it wirelessly? The only Hard wired portion will be in the basement but say my wife wants to watch a movie on her laptop in bed or something...

post #19 of 27 Old 07-11-2013, 05:46 PM

Quote:

will do thanks. Is it possible to pull the content and show it wirelessly? The only Hard wired portion will be in the basement but say my wife wants to watch a movie on her laptop in bed or something...

Your starting to get more into the category of a media server. What is it on the HTPC that you'd want to stream wirelessly, internet content or local videos? The laptop could of course stream something from the internet without needing the HPTC. If you want instead for the laptop to play something stored on the HTPC you would need it to be a server streaming the video over the network. An HTPC can serve as both a source device and a server but it will definitely impact the type of hardware you would want to purchase. I use a separate PC as a server to stream media through my network.
post #20 of 27 Old 07-12-2013, 01:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

What I would want to stream is Bluray that is in my library. With that being said would you recommend a dedicated video card for the HDMI to the AVR instead of using the HDMI on a motherboard?

post #21 of 27 Old 07-12-2013, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Anyone?

post #22 of 27 Old 07-12-2013, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

You will get much better replies by posting these questions in the "Home Theater Computers" forum a few up from here...

Why not try the built-in video before spending money on an upgrade? If the system is of recent vintage, it will probably handle it just fine.

post #23 of 27 Old 07-12-2013, 11:41 PM

My HTPC is a few years old and back then I would only consider a dedicated video card for 1080p. I'm not sure if the newer Intel chips are adequate for delivering blu-ray quality. I agree with jautor that you should ask in the HTPC forums.

Just want to make sure you understand though that this would only matter for the tv that your receiver is connected to. For streaming your video library it will be the source device that does the decoding and not your HTPC/server. That one is simply serving the video file through your network (hopefully at gigabit) and the local device will then decode and play it which is what uses the processor or GPU power.
post #24 of 27 Old 07-13-2013, 12:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktrdsl23 View Post

My HTPC is a few years old and back then I would only consider a dedicated video card for 1080p. I'm not sure if the newer Intel chips are adequate for delivering blu-ray quality. I agree with jautor that you should ask in the HTPC forums.

Just want to make sure you understand though that this would only matter for the tv that your receiver is connected to. For streaming your video library it will be the source device that does the decoding and not your HTPC/server. That one is simply serving the video file through your network (hopefully at gigabit) and the local device will then decode and play it which is what uses the processor or GPU power.

I thought the HTPC WAS the source device? In order for the HTPC to be a streaming server, what would I need as far as hardware and software to do so? I know the obvious components that make up a PC, anything else special. Was planning on using MakeMKV, and MediaBrowser with MPC HC for ripping and media storage purposes.

post #25 of 27 Old 07-13-2013, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 381
Your HTPC can be both a server device a streaming device and a local playback device. It is very versatile, but depends on what your needs are and how you want to use it.

A media server will simply feed files, stored locally, to other devices. Computers and media players throughout your home. This does not sound like what your intention is.

Your intention is the play back files locally on the HTPC or to stream files from the Internet to your HTPC for the HTPC to decode and to play back through your A/V receiver.

Depending on what all you want to play back, you will need the right software, and there is a long list of software available which can be used for this. I actually opted away from a HTPC, so I would follow the recommendation above and post in the HTPC forum instead of this forum, so you can get answers to your specific HTPC questions. XBMC, for example, is pretty popular, and offers a lot of playback options and a good 10' interface, but it may not offer everything that you want/need in a single interface.

As you start getting into the level of integration that crosses between a bunch of different platforms you may find yourself less and less happy about the results you are ending up with which could frustrate you. I mean, if you can't get it setup easily enough, or maintain it easily enough, and your family can't use it easily enough, then what's the point? This is where if all you need is MKV playback and having Netflix may be far more easily served by a basic RAID and a media player and a Roku box. The Roku will do Netflix/streaming, while the media player will handle the MKV files.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #26 of 27 Old 07-19-2013, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here is my current build:

i7-920
6gb DDR3 1333
Radeon 4870 1GB

The GPU does have an HDMI with HD video and audio which I was unaware of when I built this PC 4 years ago. However I'm wondering if it can playback MKV:
"ATI Avivo™ HD Video and Display Platform6

Unified Video Decoder 2 (UVD 2) for H.264/AVC, VC-1, and MPEG-2 video formats"

post #27 of 27 Old 07-19-2013, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

http://www.avsforum.com/f/26/home-theater-computers

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page