Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 04-25-2013, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Greetings!
A couple of data points:
I just moved into a house which was completely rehabbed. I have a space under the stairs where Fios put it's box and a number of conduits (specifically put in for future wiring) and cat5 as well as coax wires converge.

I have an audio collection in ITunes of 50k+ songs, 1000+ movies and I also have, on the same computer, about 500 or so DVDs which I ripped, each in their own directory.
There are 3 rooms where we can watch video (all HDMI, 1 PJ, 2 flat screens) and 2 areas for audio.
So far I have taken care of the audio by taken the headphone output of my PC, run it to an amp for area 1 and also have the area1 amp put out a signal which to area2. I can control ITunes from an Ipad so that works, although any suggestions for improvements are much appreciated.

my problem is on the video side. I have a mix of MP4 (ITunes) and VOB files which I would like to be able to control remotely but have not been able to do so. So far I have been putting files on my laptop and then use the HDMI output to play on whatever device we're using.
Ideally i'd like a similar setup where from a device like an ipod (although I am more than happy to use a different control) can access the video collection and display it in any room. It will be rare that the video collection will be accessed from two different rooms at a time (to watch different files). I have played around with XMBC but that does not seem to solve my issue of using different input sources and directing the output .
Any input is much appreciated.

Rgds
Vince

Eagles may soar but weasels do not get sucked into jet engines
Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page