HDMI over Cat6 not working - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 04-26-2013, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I purchased a HDMI Splitter/Extender from monoprice. I ran a Cat6 from my living room up the wall, through attic and out to my outdoor fireplace. I terminated the end in the living room with a 110 wall jack, and the end outside with an RJ45. I have an HDMI going out from my directTV box going into the splitter, a cat5e going from splitter to extender, then HDMI to TV in living room. Then a Cat5 going into wall, and hdmi extender on patio going back to HDMI and to TV. Both HDMI cables are 24AWG, splitter and extenders are powered by 5V. The Cat6 run is 100'.

On the TV in the living room I get a picture and sound and looks great. On the patio, I get a signal, its just blank and no audio. I tried the powering sequence. When I restart my DirectTV box, I pink/green pictures flashes outside and then its just blank.

I tested each wire in the Cat6 for impedance and all check out. I bypassed the cable in the wall, and ran a 50' Cat5e cable from the splitter to extender outside and it worked fine. So the boxes work. I then took that same 50' cable and plugged it from splitter to plug in the wall that goes to patio. The picture just flashes on and off. I have been working with this for a week now and it's driving me insane. I hate not being able to solve something.

Is my Cat6 too long?
Do I need to put a wall jack on the patio end instead of RJ45?

Please help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-26-2013, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Remove the splitter from mix, go out from the source to the extender directly.

You say you checked the wire for impedance - have you used a network tester to make sure the wires are all making contact and are in the correct sequence?

Which Monoprice extender / splitter exactly are you using? Is that two products or the combo?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 Old 04-26-2013, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter

I did remove the splitter and ran straight from extender. Still nothing. I got a network tester that I am going to use later today. it was a combo, splitter/extender http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10113&cs_id=1011306&p_id=8158&seq=1&format=2#description
post #4 of 5 Old 04-26-2013, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

May have solved my problem. I wired the keystone, and rj45 to 568a, and cable going from splitter to wall is 568b. Would this be the problem?
post #5 of 5 Old 04-26-2013, 11:08 AM

Liked: 24
Yes, that is the problem. Make both ends match.

Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page