Room audio keypad - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 04-29-2013, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I would like to apologize up front if I am asking a question about something that has been covered a million times. The problem I am having is that I just don't know what to search for so in asking this question I would hope that someone can just point me in the right direction or give advice.

Here is my situation. I am building a new house and the builder says that I can run the low voltage in the house. I am going to wire it for network connections as well as surround sound and even speakers in the ceiling. I don't have a ton of money for this project...probably around $1000. I just started thinking about it today that it would be nice if my girls could have some sort of keypad on their wall to where they could connect their iphone/ipod, whatever audio device they are using, to so that they could listen to music out of speakers mounted in the ceilings of their rooms.

I found this on Monoprice ( http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10903&cs_id=1090306&p_id=10222&seq=1&format=2 ) but I saw that it has to have a 24VDC power supply to power it. I am no electrician but does that sound like it would be a PITB? Are these easy to come by?

Anyway it says also that they are only 6 watts so I am guessing that if I connected an iphone/ipod through the audio jacks there would be enough power to run some 5 1/4 speakers or not?

Is there a standalone type keypad that could fit this need? Again I am sorry but something long this line of tech is new for me to consider using and I only have about a month before I need to have this all figured out so I can get parts ordered. Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2013, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceA View Post

I would like to apologize up front if I am asking a question about something that has been covered a million times. The problem I am having is that I just don't know what to search for so in asking this question I would hope that someone can just point me in the right direction or give advice.

Search this forum for "Whole House Audio" (WHA).
Quote:
Here is my situation. I am building a new house and the builder says that I can run the low voltage in the house. I am going to wire it for network connections as well as surround sound and even speakers in the ceiling. I don't have a ton of money for this project...probably around $1000.

Read the Wiring Your House wiki pages over at cocoontech:

http://cocoontech.com/forums/files/file/64-wiring-your-new-house-101/
Quote:
I found this on Monoprice ( http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10903&cs_id=1090306&p_id=10222&seq=1&format=2 ) but I saw that it has to have a 24VDC power supply to power it. I am no electrician but does that sound like it would be a PITB? Are these easy to come by?

Anyway it says also that they are only 6 watts so I am guessing that if I connected an iphone/ipod through the audio jacks there would be enough power to run some 5 1/4 speakers or not?

Is there a standalone type keypad that could fit this need? Again I am sorry but something long this line of tech is new for me to consider using and I only have about a month before I need to have this all figured out so I can get parts ordered. Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.

Well, at least a month is better than "a week from now", "this weekend", or "tomorrow", which is the usual timeframe it seems folks find the forum! biggrin.gif

Forget the equipment for now and concentrate on the pre-wiring. Put all your effort into understanding what and where before those walls get closed up. Doing the pre-wire correctly will allow most anything to be done later.

And no, a 24VDC adapter isn't hard to come by. But there are a lot of other choices for solutions, though.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
Old 04-29-2013, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Better, easier, cheaper to just get them a small stereo with iPod input (or wireless capability).

B.