Need some help with setting up volume controls PLEASE - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 05-04-2013, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. I thought this would be so simple. I'm trying to install a couple outdoor speaker volume controls for my parents. They have 2 sets of outdoor speakers and a set of indoor speakers. All connected to a stereo amp that has options for a and b speakers. The set of A speakers is the set of speakers inside. They work fine regardless. Then I have the sets of outdoor speakers hooked into the amps B speaker settings. 2 pairs of speaker wires going from the amp to a RadioShack speaker selector box. The speaker selector box has A B C D settings. From there I run a pair of speaker wires around to the back to the first pair of volume control. Its a monoprice outdoor stereo speaker volume control 100 watt. I run from the switch to the input on the switch. Then I run another pair of speaker wires to the speakers. Repeat this setup around to the front and another pair of speakers except this time using the B set of jacks on the stereo speaker selector. Everything works fine as long as I have BOTH volume controls turned all the way up. However, if I turn one volume control down, the other pair of speakers becomes practically inaudible. Do not have the problem if I turn off whichever speaker is not in use. I.E. if I depress the B (front) speakers, the back ones work fine regardless of the fronts volume settings. I'm guessing what I want to do simply can't be done. But is there any help anyone can give me? What should my input and output jumpers be at? They're both at 1x presently. Any help is greatly appreciated as I have until lunch tomorrow to figure this out. Thanks.

Sorry for the super long post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 05-04-2013, 06:50 PM

Liked: 32
Go back and recheck the wiring. What is the part# of the control you got from monoprice, and the part# for the control from Radio Shack. Personally, if the speakers are being controlled from the receiver, you do not need the four speaker selector from Rat Shack. Try connecting the left & right speakers together off of that 4 zone selector switch and see what happens.
post #3 of 12 Old 05-04-2013, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter

The RS speaker selector is part number 40-244 and the monoprice volume control is part number 8243. I was using the box because I thought it was required to control the ohm load to the receiver? If I was to bypass it, how would I set the jumpers? Or would there be no change? Thanks so much for the reply, I really appreciate it and I will try your recommendation tomorrow in the light.
post #4 of 12 Old 05-04-2013, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott81425 View Post

The RS speaker selector is part number 40-244 and the monoprice volume control is part number 8243. I was using the box because I thought it was required to control the ohm load to the receiver? If I was to bypass it, how would I set the jumpers? Or would there be no change? Thanks so much for the reply, I really appreciate it and I will try your recommendation tomorrow in the light.
Uhm, follow the info at http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10903&cs_id=1090301&p_id=8243&seq=1&format=3#specification These are pretty straightforward, when using them. The problem happened, when you used both the Radio Shack speaker selector, which was not needed with the monoprice volume control. Both together just placed too much resistance on the system, along with if you did not set the jumpers correct on the monoprice volume control, you are lucky that you did not blow an amp on your father's receiver.
post #5 of 12 Old 05-04-2013, 10:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
That speaker selector looks like a nightmare--different impedances depending on which sets you use! Buy a better speaker selector box. Also, it is generally a bad idea to connect one of these boxes to the B speaker output from a receiver and use the A at the same time. As it is you are using multiple volume controls in line with both sets of outside speakers.

If you need the ability to switch sets on and off from the box, get a selector and hook ALL the speakers to it including the ones inside. Then, if you need/want to attenuate the ones outside use the extra passive volume controls.

Not the best way to do this, but inexpensive I guess.

B.
post #6 of 12 Old 05-05-2013, 06:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B View Post

That speaker selector looks like a nightmare--different impedances depending on which sets you use! Buy a better speaker selector box. Also, it is generally a bad idea to connect one of these boxes to the B speaker output from a receiver and use the A at the same time. As it is you are using multiple volume controls in line with both sets of outside speakers.

If you need the ability to switch sets on and off from the box, get a selector and hook ALL the speakers to it including the ones inside. Then, if you need/want to attenuate the ones outside use the extra passive volume controls.

Not the best way to do this, but inexpensive I guess.

B.

Oh I hate to say it, but inexpensive is what we are shooting for. And I'm actually trying to do away with the selector box anyway, so if it isn't needed I'd prefer it that way anyway. Also, the A and B speakers are typically not used at the same time. Can't actually think of a situation when they would be so I'm not too worried about that. If dads outside listening to music or the baseball game, there's usually not someone inside doing the same thing. So back to my question about wiring and jumpers, if I were to just pitch the box, how would I set the jumpers? I understand how to go about doing it if you are hooking up 2 pairs of speakers to one volume control, but how do you go about doing it if you're setting up 2 volume controls to one speaker output? Or can that not be done without risking damage to the amp?

Seriously guys, thanks for the help.
post #7 of 12 Old 05-05-2013, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott81425 View Post

Oh I hate to say it, but inexpensive is what we are shooting for. And I'm actually trying to do away with the selector box anyway, so if it isn't needed I'd prefer it that way anyway. Also, the A and B speakers are typically not used at the same time. Can't actually think of a situation when they would be so I'm not too worried about that. If dads outside listening to music or the baseball game, there's usually not someone inside doing the same thing. So back to my question about wiring and jumpers, if I were to just pitch the box, how would I set the jumpers? I understand how to go about doing it if you are hooking up 2 pairs of speakers to one volume control, but how do you go about doing it if you're setting up 2 volume controls to one speaker output? Or can that not be done without risking damage to the amp?

Seriously guys, thanks for the help.

If you are shooting for an 8 ohm load and your speakers are both 8 ohms then set the volume controls to 2x and wire both sets to the B speakers.

B.
post #8 of 12 Old 05-05-2013, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post

Go back and recheck the wiring. What is the part# of the control you got from monoprice, and the part# for the control from Radio Shack. Personally, if the speakers are being controlled from the receiver, you do not need the four speaker selector from Rat Shack. Try connecting the left & right speakers together off of that 4 zone selector switch and see what happens.

I followed your recommendations and did away with the speaker selector. It was there before so that's why I left it there, thanks for letting me know about that. I put all the jumpers on the volume control boxes (2 jumpers per box) to 2x. Each volume control connects to a pair of 8 ohm speakers. However, when I check the load with an ohm meter at the amp, I'm showing 2 ohms????? Where am I going wrong? I did power it up momentarily and everything works as intended but that can't be good with 2 ohms at the amp.
post #9 of 12 Old 05-05-2013, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 344
I have seen other reports of the Monoprice volume controls not seemingly doing a good job of impedance-matching... Don't know if the outdoor model is the same design, but the symptom is the same. You might try the 4x setting and see what you measure.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #10 of 12 Old 05-05-2013, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

I have seen other reports of the Monoprice volume controls not seemingly doing a good job of impedance-matching... Don't know if the outdoor model is the same design, but the symptom is the same. You might try the 4x setting and see what you measure.

Yes, I believe you're correct with that. I moved it to 4x and that brought the ohm load to 3. Moving it to 8x brought the ohm load to 4. 4 works,but it sounds kinda like the volume controls aren't right.
post #11 of 12 Old 05-05-2013, 06:57 PM

Go get the Radio Shack control and try that. If it works, send the monoprice control back to them for a refund. It is a hit or miss with them. I got a small form factor HD antenna to do a test on for someone, and found that it was nothing more than just pure garbage. We ended up dissecting it, and found that the antenna was nothing more than two rods about the size of #8 wire.

Even have had issues with some coax jumpers, and a hdmi cable that I have gotten from them. I found on Amazon their branded hdmi cables are just as cheap, but better on the connectors. As for coax jumpers, will most likely just start making my own if it comes down to needing more than a couple every now and then, when doing work for someone.
post #12 of 12 Old 05-10-2013, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
We ended up dissecting it, and found that the antenna was nothing more than two rods about the size of #8 wire.

...often referred to as a dipole antenna.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page