Long run HDMI baluns? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 05-07-2013, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Has anyone successfully ran longer runs of HDMI using a balun? I've tried a few active units from Cal-Rad with no luck and I'm looking for a solution that I can put in here at my office.

My span is about 175-200' (I have 4 of these) to Samsung 50" panels and one Sharp 70" panel. If I hook a projector up to the end of the HDMI I get signal but it's pretty messy looking (lots of flicker and static across the image) so I'm guessing the TVs are looking for a pretty clean signal.

I've ran 2 CAT6 lines to each location and was hoping to control IR over the same lines as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-07-2013, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 344
HDBaseT. With IR included:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011012&p_id=8122&seq=1&format=2

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #3 of 7 Old 05-07-2013, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
Monoprice strikes again!

Ordering one for testing now.
post #4 of 7 Old 05-08-2013, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 272
I have used both of the Monoprice HDMI HD-Base-T units (with and without Ethernet), and they work extremely well.

I have tested them through over 300 feet of standard cat-5 cabling with a BD player as the source as well as a PC as the source.

I currently use these in my home as well as in some of my client's setups and they GENERALLY work flawlessly. Why do I say generally? Because I've seen a few of them fail and I've had to replace them. When they fail, they fail completely. I have not seen other 'hiccups' with the Monoprice HD-Base-T extenders, and they have delivered an image that is identical to what I've seen from Extron, Atlona, Aurora, AMX, and Crestron HD-Base-T transmitter/receiver units.

You will be extremely happy.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #5 of 7 Old 05-10-2013, 04:03 PM

Liked: 10
I was think of using http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011012&p_id=8123&seq=1&format=1#largeimage to send by cable box signal to a tv on my deck. Can I split the signal with an HDMI splitter so I can use the cable box for 2 tvs?
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10113&cs_id=1011306&p_id=7522&seq=1&format=2
Will the IR work with a FIOS remote?
post #6 of 7 Old 05-10-2013, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 272
That's a great way to run your combo setup. HDMI splitters, despite most claims, are always questionable, but the HDMI transmitter/receiver pair is extremely good.

I have not tried the IR capabilities of any of the Monoprice extenders so I can't answer that for you... If, for some reason, I find myself with some time this weekend I can possibly hook up one of my extender sets and try it out since I have fios as well and several extenders laying around. Maybe I'll give it a try tonight. Don't yell at me if I don't though. smile.gif

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #7 of 7 Old 05-11-2013, 06:06 AM

Liked: 10
I would appreciate it if you could tell me the model number of the monoprice extender and if it works with your fios remote. Thanks
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page