Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 05-08-2013, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter
Kor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey everyone,

I'm new to whole house audio as I just bought a pre-wired home.

There are 2 speakers in each room, plus a volume dial on the wall.

At the hub, I am getting three cables. One is labeled Left and has both red/black wire wrapped in the sheath. One is labeled Right and has both a red/black wire in the sheath. There is a third wire from each room, cat5 cable from the looks of it but its cut not terminated with a plug.

What the heck is this cat 5 cable for? The home builder told me it's "for the volume control". ?

I am getting zero help from the builder and there are zero manuals.

Is this a common thing....?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-08-2013, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Instead of using traditional volume controls it is for a smart keypad which gives you local room source select, volume control, and device control.

Read the 4th post in this thread as I just went over it with someone else...
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1471690/multi-room-audio-need-solution

It's pretty slick, but will cost more to setup than a traditional volume control system.

If your speaker wires are run through the single gang box near the door of each room, then you will find the cat-5 in there as well and you can choose to either use a traditional volume control or you can use a smart keypad.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #3 of 6 Old 05-08-2013, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Yes, it's for a keypad, which is generally part of a whole house audio (WHA) system. The fact that the cat5e cables are there mean your builder wired the house "correctly"!

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #4 of 6 Old 05-08-2013, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 76
The category cable could also be used for distributed IR, from the VC location; cheaper source control than a Smart KP.

If the speaker cables run to the VC location before running to the speakers, an ABus or Digi5 system could be used. Not a premium solution, but on the cheaper end of WHA systems.

The category cable could also be used to supply an iPod/dock as an audio input, or power an on-wall/in-wall tablet, iTouch, or conventional phone dock.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #5 of 6 Old 05-09-2013, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter
Kor

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks you guys are awesome.

Any idea how I would 'test' the cat5 cables? Any way for me to test one room at a time before I invested in keypads or something?
post #6 of 6 Old 05-09-2013, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kor View Post

Thanks you guys are awesome.

Any idea how I would 'test' the cat5 cables? Any way for me to test one room at a time before I invested in keypads or something?

Are you concerned about the cables being damaged? You can easily test them for continuity, but it will be time-consuming. I wouldn't worry about it - but if you intend to buy a keypad-based solution, you can terminate both ends with an RJ45 and use a network cable tester to make sure all 8 wires are good.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page