Netstreams Digilinx Driver for Sooloos Ensemble? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 05-11-2013, 03:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

New subscriber here, although I have been lurking for months on this very informative site.

I have diligently been searching the web to find out if anybody has taken advantage of Meridian publishing the Soolooos API (http://www.meridian-support.com/files/Sooloos/API_DOC.pdf) to write a driver for the Netstreams system. No luck so far.

I have just bought a property with an extensive Netstreams system installed in London. It all seems to work fine and I have no plans to change it.

However, I am deeply attached to my Meridian Sooloos system and would really not want to change that either. At a pinch, I understand I could migrate to a Naimnet device or something else but the Sooloos interface is so good, I'm really not keen to lose it. Add to that the fact that I'd have to transcode 2TB of proprietary FLAC files...

At the moment, I am using a MLA 101 to treat the Sooloos as a legacy source and controlling the it through its iPad app. In a perfect world, I'd rather integrate the control with the Digilinx in one place - that is, after all, the point of the system!

Amongst all the other kit, I have an SMM 100 and a Medialinx Pro MLA 400 in the install, and a spare CL 100.

UK-based installers I have spoken to do not know of such a piece of code.

Does anybody here know if such a piece of code exists, please?

Alternatively, how hard would it be to commission a bit of .lua to make it work? I am, of course, prepared to pay reasonable money either for a copy of the driver or for such a service.

I'd be very grateful for any thoughts.

Best wishes and thank you in advance.

Kember

BTW - If anybody from Clearone is reading this, the UK Netstreams distributor appears not to want to talk to mere end-users. I've had absolutely no reply to enquiry emails or returned phone calls. These queries were not for technical support but for a list of London-based installers. It seems perfectly reasonable to me that I should be able to get that information from this source. Instead, I have had to hunt around and, of course, encountered about 20 AV installers all ready to rubbish NS and push their own product. I wonder how many sales have been converted to another product line?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-11-2013, 12:37 PM

I took a course from ClearOne that had some, but not a lot, of information on writing a LUA driver. The SMM100 is a pretty doggy piece of equipment, but if you have an fully installed Digilinx system, then get the Anthology streamer, which I think supports FLAC and Ogg Vorbis. Once a Digilinx setup is debugged, it works very well.
post #3 of 5 Old 05-11-2013, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. That is helpful advice if the Sooloos integration does not work.
post #4 of 5 Old 06-05-2013, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

An update.

I did some investigation and it was going to cost several thousand pounds to get a proper driver written bespoke. eek.gif

So I have bitten the bullet and instead bought a Naimnet server, tuner and a couple of room amps instead. Naimnet is compatible with Digilinx and is a UK-based manufacturer with top-notch customer service. This system plays a full variety of codecs.

This will be a tidier solution as well as most of the new kit can go in the rack and I can have only the room amps out in the wild to allow for local connection of SACD player and turntable. I like the Naim sound so the only pain was to my wallet but, boy, am I walking a bow legged after that shopping expedition...

The Sooloos and most of the other hifi can be sold to fund a decent phono stage and possibly another turntable to fill the vacant real estate on the hifi rack.
post #5 of 5 Old 10-07-2013, 07:43 PM

Unfortunately, end-user support for netstreams has been terrible. The Smm100 units are notoriously problematic (my updated unit with the final firmware is functional after two years of frustration). The Anthology unit works great (the newer, better streamer). Sonos interface is still the best, but it is audio only, no home automation features like Digilinx. Writing drivers involves understanding LUA and though I have attended the training, it still eludes me.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page