Pioneer Elite SC-65/67 + Atlona 4x4 HDMI Matrix + Control4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 05-13-2013, 09:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I spent some time today with a designer from Magnolia (in a Best Buy Store) and we were discussing my options for a whole-home audio/video distribution system. They primarily push Denon, Pioneer and Marantz as their AVR choices and to this point I had been convinced the Pioneer Elite line was ideal for my scenario. I will be distributing video via an Atlona HDMI Matrix, and transporting it via Cat6 through baluns I have yet to pick, and im 80% sold on Control4 for control. Both the designer, as well as a project engineer/installer told me they have seen a lot of HDMI sync issues with the Pioneer Elite "SC" series receiver when using HDMI over Cat along with a Matrix. They both firmly suggested I consider the Marantz AVR, which I had previously not done.

Has anyone else seen these issues with Pioneer Elite or were they trying to steer me towards a higher margin product? The Marantz seem to make a top notch receiver, but I tend to like the sound of the Pioneers better.

Thanks for the help
Eric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-13-2013, 09:55 PM

Liked: 11
I would go with Marantz Onkyo or Yamaha. I've matrix Onlyo with out a hitch. Pionner is Buggy.
post #3 of 7 Old 05-14-2013, 01:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Both Marantz and Pioneer are fine. I have installed both and haven't had any issues with either. I like the Pioneer Elite SC series because of the digital amplification.

As for the Atlona 4x4 unit. Go with the AT-PRO3HD44M unit which uses cat5e (HDBaseT) units for the outputs. This will reduce the amount of products and increase the reliability.
Go with the AT-PRO3HDREC receiver units for the matrix switcher.
The HDBaseT is the best way to transmit hdmi long distances and it also contains rs-232, and ir.

Use whoever you want for control, but make sure the programmer knows what they are doing as it all comes down to how it is programmed.

fyi, Onkyo is one of the more buggy receivers out there, in regards to HDMI issues.
post #4 of 7 Old 05-14-2013, 01:45 AM
AVS Special Member

What are you planning on controlling with the Control 4?
post #5 of 7 Old 05-14-2013, 09:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifor View Post

Both Marantz and Pioneer are fine. I have installed both and haven't had any issues with either. I like the Pioneer Elite SC series because of the digital amplification.

As for the Atlona 4x4 unit. Go with the AT-PRO3HD44M unit which uses cat5e (HDBaseT) units for the outputs. This will reduce the amount of products and increase the reliability.
Go with the AT-PRO3HDREC receiver units for the matrix switcher.
The HDBaseT is the best way to transmit hdmi long distances and it also contains rs-232, and ir.

Use whoever you want for control, but make sure the programmer knows what they are doing as it all comes down to how it is programmed.

fyi, Onkyo is one of the more buggy receivers out there, in regards to HDMI issues.

I had looked at the HDBaseT unit, but I will be feeding two AVRs between the matrix and their monitor.

This scenario would look like this: (AT-PRO3HD44M) -->(Cat6) --> (HDBaseT RX Balun) -->(HDMI Cable) --> (AVR) --> (HDMI Cable) --> (HDBaseT TX Balun) --> (Cat6) --> (HDBaseT RX Balun) --> (HDMI Cable) --> (TV)

Is there any other way to do this with a all my gear central? I'd love to have the HDBaseT Matrix, but I dont know if its a good idea to have so many junctions/baluns between the matrix and my AVR/Monitor.

Is the HDBaseT transport sturdy enough to tolerate being terminated in keystone wall jacks and a patch panel at the rack? Are there any HDBaseT balun brands that seem to be more reliable in this scenario?

Do you have any experience with AT-PROHD85M-SR? It looks like a similar solution but with one more output zone and 4 more inputs. It also comes with the receiver baluns.

Quote:

What are you planning on controlling with the Control 4?

(1) 4x4 HDMI Matrix
(4) HD Monitors
(2) AVRs yet to be picked (Two 5.1 Surround Zones with HD monitors)
(1) 4-Zone Audio Amp (4 additional 2 channel audio zones)
(1) BDP
(1) Apple TV
(2) DirecTV Sat Boxes
(1) Sonos Connect
Thermostat, limited lighting, door locks

Thanks for your input.
post #6 of 7 Old 05-14-2013, 10:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Where are the two receivers placed? If they are in the same rack or room, then it doesn't make sense to have the HDBaseT unit.
Are you just using the 2 receivers or are there also tv's in other rooms?

You might also look at the Snap Binary kit-4x4-matrix-3ext. It is a 4x4 matrix switcher that comes with 3 HDBaseT baluns. And it has Control4 integration certification.

Some people have had good luck with keystones, only trying it will tell you for sure. To be honest, I would use straight cabling. You can get decora duck plates, decore brush plates or decora rubber plates to have the cables come through the wall.

The AT-PROHD85M-SR is discontinued and does not do HDBaseT. You want HDBaseT as it seems the most trouble free.
post #7 of 7 Old 05-15-2013, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Where are the two receivers placed? If they are in the same rack or room, then it doesn't make sense to have the HDBaseT unit.
Are you just using the 2 receivers or are there also tv's in other rooms?

You might also look at the Snap Binary kit-4x4-matrix-3ext. It is a 4x4 matrix switcher that comes with 3 HDBaseT baluns. And it has Control4 integration certification.

Some people have had good luck with keystones, only trying it will tell you for sure. To be honest, I would use straight cabling. You can get decora duck plates, decore brush plates or decora rubber plates to have the cables come through the wall.

The AT-PROHD85M-SR is discontinued and does not do HDBaseT. You want HDBaseT as it seems the most trouble free.

They will be in the same rack in a central location. There are 6 total TVs in the house. For cost reasons, I am only able to do a 4x4 matrix so two TVs will be fed directly by sat boxes. Of the other 4 TV locations, two are surround zones and two will just use the TV speakers.

That PROHD85M was very attractive due to price and the extra input/outputs... It also comes with the baluns and will run off one cable if you dont need IR. They are discontinued, but it seems like there is still a supply of them floating around. Anyone else have any experience with the device?
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page