Home a/v distribution newbie needing help. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 05-15-2013, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm going to explain to the best of my ability what exactly what im trying to accomplish. My parents are building a new house and I told my dad i wanted a computer room for the entire home a/v distribution and he said ok as long as I could get it done. So here is my idea I have a 4x4 closet that will be dedicated to all the home a/v. I have five rooms i want audio distributed too and they are: my room, brothers room, master bedroom, outside back porch (and the living room and kitchen will be on one channel but be 2 speakers) and the others will only have one speaker in each room. I want to be able to have all the speakers be able to play one thing from the computer closet or if somebody wants to be able to hook up there ipod in there room and it play but only in that one room and I also want each room to have it's own volume control. I've decided to get this figured out for right now and save the video distribution for another thread. thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 05-15-2013, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 356
Search this forum for "whole house audio" and you'll see a lot of options. Picking the right one will depend on how you want to control the system, what sources you want to have, and budget...

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #3 of 17 Old 05-15-2013, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter

None of those are really what I'm trying to do I don't think. I'm kinda just wanting somebody to tell me what I need or what products are really good.
post #4 of 17 Old 05-16-2013, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 86
I think whole house audio is exactly what you want wink.gif
post #5 of 17 Old 05-16-2013, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

Well I guess it kinda is what I'm looking for what I guess I was looking for was somebody doing the exact same setup. Well I kinda got that figured out now anyway. I have another question also what do y'all suggest for running hdmi long distances like I will be running hdmi all if these distances 8ft, 16ft, 35ft and the big one like 75ft?
post #6 of 17 Old 05-16-2013, 11:09 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
A lot of your questions will be tough to answer without knowing your budget. Take the HDMI question for example. You can get basic wall plates that use cheap cat5 cables to extend the signal about 100' for about $30-$40 per room. Or you can literally spend thousands of dollars if you want to include matrixed switching and IR distribution.
post #7 of 17 Old 05-16-2013, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by chan-man View Post

Well I guess it kinda is what I'm looking for what I guess I was looking for was somebody doing the exact same setup. Well I kinda got that figured out now anyway. I have another question also what do y'all suggest for running hdmi long distances like I will be running hdmi all if these distances 8ft, 16ft, 35ft and the big one like 75ft?
If you have the ability to add cabling at any point, then just put a HDMI cable in for distances under 50'

If you do not have the ability to run cables after the home is completed and drywalled, then you will want to run no less than 2-pieces of Cat-6 cable to each location that needs a HDMI cable, and go ahead and throw a HDMI cable in there as well (up to 50'). At distances over 50', just forget the HDMI cable and run Cat-6 cable.

I would say the minimum is 2 cat-6 cables, but I would generally run 3 pieces. It's cheap, and well worth it in the long run.

You will really want to do your homework on this as the price involved in video distribution tends to run thousands of dollars...

Not sure which cheap $40 wall plate can properly send 1080p video 100', because I know nothing I've gotten from Monoprice is capable of doing this, despite the claims on their website to the contrary. Only the HD-Base-T solutions have allowed for this.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #8 of 17 Old 05-16-2013, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Ok thanks for the input I didn't know what was best for my situation and I am capable of wiring it because they haven't even broke ground yet. Well since you are answering these questions so good for me I want to be able to have a plate behind the tv with 2 hdmi, VGA and aux, audio L/R, and I guess composite so is my best solution just cat6 if I'm on a budget or what wiring should I use for each hookup?
post #9 of 17 Old 05-16-2013, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter

I'm going to try and make a diagram to show y'all exactly what I'm trying to accomplish.
post #10 of 17 Old 05-16-2013, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 283
I would say you need to let the technology work for you and figure out exactly what you want and where and make a list. The type of setup you are shooting for is very complex, may require many different cable types, and you will need to be able to terminate everything, know what to connect it to so you can distribute it, and have all that gear which will be on the order of thousands, if not tens of thousands, of dollars to do right. Good distributed audio - call it a dozen zones, needs a pre-amp source selector with remote keypads. $150 per keypad, plus several hundred for the pre-amp, plus $1,000 or more in amplifiers, plus speaker wire, plus cat-5 cable to the keypads, plus speakers in each room. Done properly with stereo speakers only makes sense, and you are at $4,000 or so just for basic distributed audio done by yourself with fairly inexpensive hardware. I'm not trying to talk you out of this, but trying to set your expectations for what you are trying to accomplish. As one of the cheapest options, look how much a single amplified Sonos player would cost you for each zone you want in your home.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #11 of 17 Old 05-16-2013, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

Well I only have five zones and don't really need the most too quality speakers or amps or anything I was thinking of using kinda the same type system I have in my business. I can do away with five different sources so let's take it down to one which will most likely be my computer in the closet and hook that to an amp which has volume controls for each room it probably doesn't bring the cost down to much but I can always upgrade the system when I want too. I'm just kinda needing to know what wiring and stuff I need to run cause as long as the wiring is in closet I can get the electronics as I get the money.
post #12 of 17 Old 05-17-2013, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter

Ok i've been going about this all wrong I guess the info I'm actually looking for is what cables should i run for the following connections.

We've already accomplished hdmi through the wall until you reach 30 ft. which is just a safe point for me anything past that cat6 with wall plates for hdmi.

Now I need to know the safe points and alternatives for:
usb
coaxial also know as antenna
vga
component: video=(y=green pb=blue pr=red) audio=(l=white r=red)
video in video=yellow audio=l/r
I think thats all if i missed anything just let me know There might be a ethernet also depending on if its a smart tv.
post #13 of 17 Old 05-17-2013, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter

I am also wanting to make a media server and put in it the closet and be able to access it from a raspberry pi that would be on each tv but I think i just ran into a problem on that i think. Does anybody know if the pi can access a plex media server via the ethernet port or does a hard drive have to be connected to the usb? If it does have to be connected to the usb Is there anyway to have a harddrive in the closet and split the usb out of it and have all of the pi's access the one hardrive? If it would work through ethernet (cat6) it would be great and I think it would be alot easier. Please post your opinions.
post #14 of 17 Old 05-17-2013, 07:50 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

Now I need to know the safe points and alternatives for:
usb
coaxial also know as antenna
vga
component: video=(y=green pb=blue pr=red) audio=(l=white r=red)
video in video=yellow audio=l/r
I think thats all if i missed anything just let me know There might be a ethernet also depending on if its a smart tv.

USB: The only really reliable solution that I know of are actually active USB extension cables. Monoprice offers them in varying lengths (up to 82 feet: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10303&cs_id=1030312&p_id=7644&seq=1&format=2). You could then use a keystone to make it look nice instead of a dangling cable. The only downside I can see if that one end is huge and that is the end that goes on the side behind your tv (input) and not the side in your distribution closet (output).

coaxial is easy. RG6 or RG66Q (quad shielding). I started with RG6Q, but switched to just RG6 and haven't noticed a difference. It's easier to terminate and it is easier to work with (less stiff)

VGA: Much like most other cables, you can just do VGA over cat5/6 if you want. Monorice offers baluns for this (http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10105&cs_id=1010504&p_id=5034&seq=1&format=2). I am unsure if you can just run VGA cables, but my assumption would be no as I generally have issues with even cables over 5' sometimes. I'm curious why you're using VGA though. I can't think of a ton of uses unless you're hooking up a PC, which if it's newer and has DVI, you can just use a DVI -> HDMI adapter and run it over your HDMI cable.

Component video: RG6 (or RG6Q). You just terminate with RCA connectors or, I believe, there are keystone jacks that accept standard coaxial connectors on the back, but have RCS inputs on the front. Don't quote me on that last part though. I personally just terminated with RCA connectors (though they do take up more space in the wall! at least the ones I used did).

Composite video (yellow/red/white): Same as component.

I hope that helps, and I'm sure there are even more alternatives for all the above (mainly X over cat5/6)
post #15 of 17 Old 05-17-2013, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter

Ok great I will probably be hooking up the pc on hdmi or dvi but I needed to about VGA just incase. And if somebody could answer my question above about raspberry pi it would be awesome.
post #16 of 17 Old 05-17-2013, 09:05 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:

I am also wanting to make a media server and put in it the closet and be able to access it from a raspberry pi that would be on each tv but I think i just ran into a problem on that i think. Does anybody know if the pi can access a plex media server via the ethernet port or does a hard drive have to be connected to the usb? If it does have to be connected to the usb Is there anyway to have a harddrive in the closet and split the usb out of it and have all of the pi's access the one hardrive? If it would work through ethernet (cat6) it would be great and I think it would be alot easier. Please post your opinions.
If you have a plex media server the plex clients (the raspberry pis) should not need their own local usb storage. They would get all of their media from the server via the network (ethernet). Another alternative to the Pi could be a Roku since it has a plex channel (as well as Netflix, Hulu, amazon, etc...)
post #17 of 17 Old 05-17-2013, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter

Good idea but I was going with the pi's for right now because I don't have the funds to get three rokus right now.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page