video solution for restaurant - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 05-17-2013, 05:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
greetings all,
I have recently opened a restaurant and we had a company set our video system up by having 2 vga to composite converters plugged into 2 seperate rf modulators for 2 channels on the tv 99 and 0 but i dislike the idea completely and dont like the complicated set up there for i was wondering if you guys could give me some suggestions?

I was wondering on getting a Matrix switcher (cat5/6) for hdmi, but im not sure if that is the right thing to do. As you will see in the pictures below its a real mess and i just want to re wire everything to make it more organized and simple for the staff to use and an important factor is HD(1080p) because the customers sit so near to the screen i want them to be happy with the quality

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 05-17-2013, 09:48 AM

Liked: 12
Yikes. Doesn't look very professional and the letterboxing implies that it isn't set up right at all. I think folks here would need more info.

How many TV's do you have? Are they all 1080?
What are your sources and how many do you have?

An HDMI matrix is probably all that you need (assuming your sources are all HDMI).
post #3 of 18 Old 05-17-2013, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Wow! Was this company you hired an actual A/V installer? Do they have a white van loaded with speakers, too?

Yes, please tell us how many sources and displays you have, and what they are.. ZeeVee solutions may be better than a matrix depending on the numbers...

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #4 of 18 Old 05-17-2013, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Yes, you are thinking much better than the company that did that installation.

I would strongly recommend a small Middle Atlantic equipment rack for your gear, and a HDMI matrix with some HD-Base-T extenders.

This isn't going to be 'cheap', but it will deliver a product which should last you 10+ years and deliver proper HD video to all your displays.

Since you are using mostly TV, you can also go with HD over component video which you can have for thousands of dollars less (eBay!). It will be as good or ALMOST as good as HDMI, but saves you more than a few bucks if you don't have the budget to go with a HDMI solution right now. You should scope out eBay for a Extron Crosspoint Matrix switcher. 8x8 units (8 HD sources to up to 8 HD TVs) can be had for under $100!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Extron-Crosspoint-300-Switcher-Wideband-Matrix-Switcher-with-ADSP-300-88HVA-/290915792940?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43bbeeb82c#shId

No kidding, if I had a restaurant and wanted TV everywhere, this is totally the way I would do things on a budget and still get HD video everywhere. The whole setup can be had for under $1,000 I would think (buying it yourself). I would think about $2,000 installed by someone who actually knows what they are doing.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #5 of 18 Old 05-17-2013, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter

Hey all, thanks for the help so far. I have got 4 sources and 4 televisions and they are all 1080p

Thanks
post #6 of 18 Old 05-17-2013, 10:40 PM
AVS Special Member

What are your sources? Generally speaking, HDTV is 1080i or 720p not 1080p, but you can pick up a 4x4 HDMI matrix switch for under $1,000 I believe for a decent model and that'll deliver true 1080p for your displays. You will need extenders that handle it at about $200 a pair, so maybe about $2,000 or so in equipment to dot his 'properly' + installation.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #7 of 18 Old 05-18-2013, 06:46 AM - Thread Starter

hey all,
my sources are : 1.PC
2.PC
3.TV BOX
4.TV BOX

could you please help suggest some hdmi switchers and extenders?

thanks!
post #8 of 18 Old 05-18-2013, 05:49 PM

AV_INt-
Interesting solution. This looks video only? For the reasons you mentioned and others (720/1080 comp etc) I am going to distribute my AV over CAT6 analog (RCA connectors).
post #9 of 18 Old 05-18-2013, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordonMusser View Post

AV_INt-
Interesting solution. This looks video only? For the reasons you mentioned and others (720/1080 comp etc) I am going to distribute my AV over CAT6 analog (RCA connectors).

What?
post #10 of 18 Old 05-18-2013, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyjustal View Post

hey all,
my sources are : 1.PC
2.PC
3.TV BOX
4.TV BOX

could you please help suggest some hdmi switchers and extenders?

thanks!

I will recommend you contact another CI to take over your video distribution. Someone that knows what they are doing. Can you run new wire to all the tv locations? And what is the distances to each tv?
You really need to provide more info, as much info as you can and not what you think is needed.
I would also look at Atlona or Snap AV for a matrix switcher, although neither or any company will sell directly to the end user.

I would also agree to redo everything as it is a real mess and to get a small rack for your eq.

Why are you using 2 pc's for video? And what do you mean by tv box?
post #11 of 18 Old 05-18-2013, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

AV_INt-
Um... What?

I proposed a couple of solutions.

It is important that whomever anyone speaks with is comfortable with both analog and digital solutions which are out there. Often people jump to digital because it is more forward compatible, but there are times (not often) where a budget and setup may require a analog system, or at least be able to get by with analog just fine. Non-1080p/3D systems, especially those working with Cable/Satellite, really can typically get by with component video distribution, and they can hit the used/eBay market to pick up some gear for pennies on the dollar. It may sound 'crazy' to some, but when you are talking about a $2,000+ switcher new, and getting it for under $200, then that's a 90% savings right off the bat. Plus, it will handle analog audio switching (stereo) right on the same box. Pretty cool for the money.

post #12 of 18 Old 05-18-2013, 07:14 PM

Sorry I should have been more clear. I agree with you. I have a new home build that needs a 4x8 matrix. I was going to go analog (RCA) instead of HDMI. The link you sent to that ebay matrix. I see how that would do quite well.

Now, I do have 1080p and 3D on one TV, but I am not an audio/video-phile. My plan was to go the analog route. Is that acceptable? The TV is currently on HDMI because its sources are local.. I plan to have an AV closet in the new house.
post #13 of 18 Old 05-18-2013, 10:33 PM - Thread Starter

Well guys what im wabting to do is just to get my video to the tvs with 1080p because I have another system which takes care of the sound. All my tv boxes have hdmi out but my pcs run on vga so I could get a vga to hdmi converter and a hdmi matrix switch? Im just looking for a matrix switch which is reliable and easy to use and preferably that sends out through cat 5 or 6 but if not through hdmi, which is the way to go?
post #14 of 18 Old 05-19-2013, 02:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifor View Post

Can you run new wire to all the tv locations? And what is the distances to each tv?
You really need to provide more info, as much info as you can and not what you think is needed.

Answer these questions I already asked you.

Also, what wire is already in place for the tv's?
post #15 of 18 Old 05-19-2013, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyjustal View Post

Well guys what im wabting to do is just to get my video to the tvs with 1080p because I have another system which takes care of the sound. All my tv boxes have hdmi out but my pcs run on vga so I could get a vga to hdmi converter and a hdmi matrix switch? Im just looking for a matrix switch which is reliable and easy to use and preferably that sends out through cat 5 or 6 but if not through hdmi, which is the way to go?
I agree that you need to be able to run new wire if the right wire isn't there already, so how easy/hard that is matters.

You should get a HDMI video card for the PCs. It will cost FAR more to convert from VGA to HDMI than to just buy a $50 card for those PCs and put it into them.

It's fine to say "I want 1080p everywhere" - but once again, you haven't stated what content you are showing. Television is basically NEVER 1080p as a source, so it hardly matters and it will cost you more.

Since you seem to be okay with this, then you should look at something like the Gefen products which offer HDMI matrices with fast switching technology.

http://www.gefen.com

You can pick up HD-Base-T transmitter/receiver pairs for under $200 a display from Monoprice that work really well.

post #16 of 18 Old 05-19-2013, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sorry I should have been more clear. I agree with you. I have a new home build that needs a 4x8 matrix. I was going to go analog (RCA) instead of HDMI. The link you sent to that ebay matrix. I see how that would do quite well.

Now, I do have 1080p and 3D on one TV, but I am not an audio/video-phile. My plan was to go the analog route. Is that acceptable? The TV is currently on HDMI because its sources are local.. I plan to have an AV closet in the new house.
Jordon - In all fairness to this thread, I'm not going to answer in it. If you start a new topic in this forum I will be happy to give you a detailed response, but the easy answer is 'yes', and there are other solutions which give you some options which can integrate both component and HDMI without serious consequences.

post #17 of 18 Old 05-19-2013, 08:59 AM

Yep, sorry for the threat hijack. I wont be needing equipment till late this year so I will post then. I am running 4X category cables so I dont have to decide now how to distribute! Thanks, and ill ping you when I make my post here in a few months.. never know what will be available then!
post #18 of 18 Old 05-19-2013, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 60
‘Im just looking for a matrix switch which is reliable and easy to use and preferably that sends out through cat 5 or 6 but if not through hdmi, which is the way to go?’ – the way to go is to realise you can throw another pile of cash at yet another rush/bodge job or take your time and realise that more/different Tech is not what makes a good system.

A good system design and implementation (allied to decent kit) is what makes for a quality, user friendly system with long term backup and support.

Is price or system quality the main driver here?

Where about are you and folk may be able to advise on a reputable installer in your location?

Joe

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/Octavainc

Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page