1 Satellite Receiver to 2-3 Displays cheaply?? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-20-2013, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My setup consists of one satellite receiver and 3 displays in my house. I'm cheap and don't want to buy another satellite box especially since only one tv will be used at a time.

Ultimately, I would like all 3 receivers to be able to change the channel from their location instead of having to go back to the sat room and change it. Running HDMI throughout the house shouldn't be a problem...I can go through the attic and crawl space. I used to own an actiontec mywireless setup and it worked fine for the most part so no complaints there. Not sure if I lost audio or not. I would like to do this for as cheap as possible since I will need to build a new computer/HTPC for my basement jukebox in the next month or so...also have to afford the expensive touchscreen monitor. And possibly buy a new AVR. Also remodeling a bathroom and basement wasn't cheap on the pocketbook.

Here is my setup:

TV 1 1080p Living Room
Sat receiver
Onkyo Receiver (only 1 output)
PS3
Harmony 650 Remote

TV2 1080p Bedroom
Sony Soundbar/sub with hdmi inputs
Sat Box remote and soundbar remote

TV3 1080p Downstairs
Computer monitor with HDMI inputs
Used down stairs as Touchscreen jukebox and eventually small tv if I can get this working

I'm considering getting a new receiver as well for TV1. Perhaps the Onkyo 818, but will wait for a few more months. I will move the other onkyo downstairs to the TV3 computer/monitor for outside, garage and basement speakers.

Old Pioneer receiver downstairs will go upstairs to the computer room for my dead Klipsch Pro Media amp.

Any suggestions you have for me would be great. I've read through post after post and can't find exactly what I am looking for. I would like to keep the 7.1 audio in my living room as well if possible.

Thanks everyone!!

Peja
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2013, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 380
Note that two additional sat receivers would cost you ~$150/yr in rental fees, so figure that into your equation when you start adding up the costs for all the pieces parts to distribute the video. And then subtract any value you'd derive from the ability to watch different shows in different rooms (guests, parties, etc.). The Whole House DVR options the sat providers offer may be an attractive alternative as well.

Sat receiver probably has an RF remote option, or you can "upgrade" the existing remote to RF using the "Next Generation Remote Control Extender", and buying a few more remotes either way (those would be free with a receiver, too, in the cost equation biggrin.gif).

An HDMI splitter would be the simplest, but realize that you will limit yourself on the audio side to the common denominator among the displays, which will likely be 2-channel PCM stereo. Expect to have to run a separate digital audio line to your AVR in the main room to get surround sound.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
Old 05-23-2013, 09:28 AM

Liked: 12
I just wanted to post a reply and say if you are planning on going with DTV, I am sharing a receiver between two rooms and it is working quite well:) Paired with a DTV RF remote and it's a pretty decent setup...not sure I would mess around with matrix switches and such!
Old 05-29-2013, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the reply gentlemen. Since the 2 other tvs are hardly used, I may go with the "wireless" route since I can still use the remotes to change the channels from the tv without the sat receiver.

Now to figure out which brand to go with. Thank you.
Old 06-03-2013, 05:47 AM

I have 3 TV's hooked up to my directv sat. reciever. One is a 50" plasma next to the reciever via HDMI. I split the component signal with a StarTech.com ST123HDA 3 Port Component Video Splitter with Digital Audio to tv's 25' and 75' away. I have RF remotes and everything works great. HDMI's that are split seem to have trouble when going thru a AV reciever. My 50" goes thru a reciever so I split the comonent signal. I would think the distance to your TV's would determine whether you need a amplified splitter. I know there is a start up cost, but compared to a monthly fee it's a no brainer.