RG6: steel copper clad or solid copper? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 05-21-2013, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just got over spending a bit of time researching whether to do Cat5e or Cat6 (doing Cat6) and in that research, I saw there was lots of opinion and debate for RG6 - copper clad steel vs solid copper. Ugh, more research.

If there is already a good thread in AVS, a pointer would be great.

Is it necessary to spend the extra $'s on the solid copper? The biggest concern I have is with distances. I saw there are limits to how far a DirecTv control box can be from the LNB's before you might have too much voltage drop off. Most of my runs will be within 50' from control box to Distribution hub. But, it is another 50' from distribution hub to dish.

When on monoprice (where I had planned to buy wire), they don't even carry solid. I know I can get it elsewhere but if monoprice isn't selling it, my guess is its need is rare?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-21-2013, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 302
Well, I really hadn't thought about this at all, and I appreciate the post. Generally speaking, there is likely zero issue with using either type within a home envrionment where the distances travelled tend to be minimal. But, it is recommended that solid copper be used where power for things like an LNB on a satellite dish be used. That said, I highly doubt almost any security company installing RG6 is giving half a thought about this, and it's not like there is a huge lineup of people who are complaining about their sat dishes not working.

Now, in your case, you've done some homework, so you may have decided that you want to go with a bare copper center conductor instead of CCS. Great!

But, what is the price difference we are talking about?

Genesis cable by Honeywelll...

1,000 feet of their BC cable - Under $110
http://www.tselectronic.com/shop/product/Genesis-5027-3GHz-Premium-Broadband-RG6-U-Quad-Shield-Coax-Cable/1043

Call it $175 from Amazon...
http://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-Genesis-50271108-Shielded-Cable/dp/B001UKPGYY/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1369194510&sr=1-4&keywords=genesis+coax+rg6

And the CCS?
Call it $110 from Amazon...
http://www.amazon.com/Genesis-Cable-50071108-RGRG6-Pull-Box/dp/B001Q9XC04/ref=sr_1_19?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1369195334&sr=1-19&keywords=genesis+coax+rg6

Really, if we just kind of step back and look at this, we are talking what? 1,000 feet will cover a typical home. Maybe 3,000 feet on a fairly large home. No matter how you cut it, we are talking a price difference of about $65 a roll. Yeah, I would pay that price difference if you are worried about issues with the LNBs over CCS RG6. Take the BC cable from your panel to all the wall TV locations and from your dmark. I think the $200 you may end up spending, on the high end, is worth the peace of mind.

I'm certainly open to hearing other people's thoughts on this if there are any...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #3 of 7 Old 05-22-2013, 12:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 89
All other things being equal, coax with a copper coated steel center conductor can work as well at RF as coax with a solid copper center conductor because of skin effect. The DC resistance will be higher, though, resulting in a greater voltage drop for DC. FWIW all Directv says you need is RG-6.

IIWY I would not make any technical assumptions based on what monoprice sells or doesn't.
post #4 of 7 Old 05-22-2013, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post

But, what is the price difference we are talking about?

Genesis cable by Honeywelll...

1,000 feet of their BC cable - Under $110
http://www.tselectronic.com/shop/product/Genesis-5027-3GHz-Premium-Broadband-RG6-U-Quad-Shield-Coax-Cable/1043

Good point on cost! Really not much. Any concerns over Genesis for RG6 and Cat wire? I've heard horror stories on inferior wire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colm View Post

All other things being equal, coax with a copper coated steel center conductor can work as well at RF as coax with a solid copper center conductor because of skin effect. The DC resistance will be higher, though, resulting in a greater voltage drop for DC. FWIW all Directv says you need is RG-6.

IIWY I would not make any technical assumptions based on what monoprice sells or doesn't.

My short amount of googling came across stories of DirecTV technicians saying that LNB drop was due to CCS vs solid. Not sure how true or prevalent that is. However, I don't want pull 2500' only to find that my runs are so long that I do hit the voltage drop and given the minor cost, I think I'll go with solid.

Very good point on not going by monoprice inventory - I know better than this.
post #5 of 7 Old 05-22-2013, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 302
Genesis cable is what I get from my local distributor, and they have been 'typical' decent quality. Nothing spectacular that excites me, but nothing that has irked me either. Good pull boxes, typically no tangles, good color saturation on the cat-x cables. Honeywell is certainly a respected company, so no issues on 'cheap Chinese junk' with them. Of course, I've used Monoprice RG6 and the stuff from Lowes/Home Depot as well over the years and all of it has worked fine, but I honestly have not setup a DirecTV LNB system over any of the setups.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #6 of 7 Old 05-22-2013, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Really, the main difference is on the DC side. Since you're running power only ~50', there's no reason it has to be solid copper.

CIAO!

Ed N.
post #7 of 7 Old 05-22-2013, 10:09 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I am a satellite contractor and I go through thousands of feet and I've never had a problem with CCS on a Directv install. I'm not aware of any consensus as to what distances require SC over CCS, but generally it has to be pretty long. Satellite internet requires and needs SC, whereas Directv "requires" it but doesn't "need" it. If you can get a good price there's no reason you can't use SC, but if it's too expensive then CCS is fine. For a 1000' box I pay $57 for CCS and $86 for SC w/ground.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page