Need help determining structured Wiring and Speaker Wiring pricing - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 05-24-2013, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
New home construction (3200SF). Have to use the builder's low voltage contractor.

The home comes standard with 5 RG6 and 2 Phone lines

Does this price seem reasonable for structured and speaker wiring. I think it's a little high for the number of runs but wanted to see what others thought.

Structured Wiring Package - $850; includes 3 Cat5e and 3 RG6 runs to specified rooms

HD A/V Link - $625; includes 1 HDMI 25ft cable, 1 Cat5e, 1 RG6 run to a wall mounted TV in family room

Surround Sound (5.1) Pre-wire - $550; for recreation room

Speaker pre-wire - $450; includes 4 pre-wire speaker runs in family room/kitchen (2) and patio (2)

2 Chase Pipes (1 1/2 inch PVC) - $515; no cables
included...this is just for the chase pipe installation in two rooms (rec. room and master bedroom)

Total Price: $2,900
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-24-2013, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 45
What kind of builder, in this day and age, only offers 5 cable and 2 phone line runs as standard?

I run up to 12 dual rg6/cat5e runs from a structured wiring panel AND surround pre-wire with 2 additional rooms for audio as standard for a builder here in Socal. Tell that builder to buck up and get with the 21 century.

And where is the HDMI cable going? From where to where?
post #3 of 11 Old 05-24-2013, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter

It's not a long run for the HDMI cable...maybe 10feet or less. Also, I feel like the PVC chase pipe cost is high since it's only a pvc pipe run from the mid-wall location (where TV would be mounted) to the bottom of the wall.

So you think this price is too high for what I'll be getting?
post #4 of 11 Old 05-24-2013, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 45
A little. But you should ask another company to see if they are out of line.
post #5 of 11 Old 05-24-2013, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 345
Your location?

Those prices are high, but unless you can negotiate a deal, you're somewhat stuck. Concentrate on those runs that can't be done easily later - meaning first floor locations or other areas where you have no access from an attic or basement.

And yeah, that 'standard' wire package is pathetic, and would be for a house half that size...

The speaker pre-wire pricing is the only thing in there that appears in-line with what others have reported.

Your best bet is to talk with your project manager directly, not the sales team, and see what you can do yourself just before sheetrock goes up. Backup plan would be to talk directly with the subcontractor before he starts work to see if you can "pay him directly" for additional runs while he's there to do the rest of the work. Cash speaks well there, "I have extra wire for you in my car" can also help...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #6 of 11 Old 05-24-2013, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the feedback so far. I'm in Raleigh, NC. I agree that I'll probably have to do some negotiating on site with the subcontractor doing the low voltage work. The house will have attic access but it doesn't have a basement or crawl space. It will be on slab foundation and is two story (with attic access) The OnQ access box will be installed in a closet on the first floor.

How difficult would it be to run the speaker wires from the attic down to the second floor after the walls are up. I would think that all the Cat5e wiring would have to be done before the walls go up since everything will get run to the 1st floor access box.

Any thoughts?
post #7 of 11 Old 05-24-2013, 11:40 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifor View Post

What kind of builder, in this day and age, only offers 5 cable and 2 phone line runs as standard?

I run up to 12 dual rg6/cat5e runs from a structured wiring panel AND surround pre-wire with 2 additional rooms for audio as standard for a builder here in Socal. Tell that builder to buck up and get with the 21 century.

And where is the HDMI cable going? From where to where?

Our builder (Pulte), offered 2 cable and 2 phone as standard. frown.gif
post #8 of 11 Old 05-24-2013, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by rherring View Post

Thanks for all the feedback so far. I'm in Raleigh, NC.

Add your location to your forum profile for future reference (same goes for the rest of y'all...)
Quote:
How difficult would it be to run the speaker wires from the attic down to the second floor after the walls are up. I would think that all the Cat5e wiring would have to be done before the walls go up since everything will get run to the 1st floor access box.

Bite the bullet on a conduit run from the OnQ box to the attic, so that you CAN add cables later to the distribution panel.

Attic access makes runs for anything on the 2nd floor possible - how easy will depend on the access. Interior walls much easier than exterior, generally. Documenting the structure and the existing cabling with a slew of digital photographs should be a high priority for you.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #9 of 11 Old 05-24-2013, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 272
If you have a basement and do not have it finished, then I would plan on running almost everything yourself after the home is built. For that matter, if you are determined and have a friend, you can do it ALL for far less all by yourself. You may end up with a few drywall holes in your brand new home, but the repair of those holes and some new paint (which will match perfectly!) will likely run you just a few hundred bucks.

I bought a house last year and ended up wiring up the entire house - about 80 wires were pulled. With an unfinished basement I was able to get it done with about a dozen holes cut and it just cost a few hundred dollars to repair things. Not a bad way to do it if you are up for that type of challenge.

Otherwise, the price is what it is - and it is ridiculous.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #10 of 11 Old 05-24-2013, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post

If you have a basement and do not have it finished, then I would plan on running almost everything yourself after the home is built. For that matter, if you are determined and have a friend, you can do it ALL for far less all by yourself. You may end up with a few drywall holes in your brand new home, but the repair of those holes and some new paint (which will match perfectly!) will likely run you just a few hundred bucks.

I bought a house last year and ended up wiring up the entire house - about 80 wires were pulled. With an unfinished basement I was able to get it done with about a dozen holes cut and it just cost a few hundred dollars to repair things. Not a bad way to do it if you are up for that type of challenge.

Otherwise, the price is what it is - and it is ridiculous.
If you had read post 6 of this thread...
post #11 of 11 Old 05-24-2013, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post

If you had read post 6 of this thread...
Yup! Missed that.

I would have them run conduit to vital locations then, anywhere on the second floor as long as you have attic access can be wired downward with only minimal headache... or a lot of sweat if in the middle of the summer.

I know when I bought my last home, it was 60 or 70 bucks for every wire I had pulled. The same price for the resi-gard conduit I had pulled and supplied to them. I ended up paying about $5,000 for this work, but it was about 40 or 50 cables which were pulled.

This is definitely one of those areas where they have you over a barrel in terms of what your options are, and I would ask if they had any other low-voltage contractors that were available to do the work. Sometimes builders will work with you, especially if you are very demanding about things. Considering the profit margins on the sale of a home, this is just a step beyond taking advantage of the consumer IMO.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page