Picture-in-Picture put multiple HDMI sources on the one projector HDMI display?? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 05-26-2013, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hey world

I am looking for a way to display multiple 1080p HDMI inputs simultaneously on the one 1080p projector?

So far I have found this but its only available in Europe and I'm in CA:

EL-41PIP:

"The EL-41PIP is an advanced 4 Way HDMI switch with integrated Picture in Picture (PIP) technology. This plug and play solution offers advanced control and display options that allow for the integration of 4 sources onto a single screen."

Anything like this available in the USA that folks are using?

Many thanks!
gurp99 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 05-26-2013, 02:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 106
post #3 of 16 Old 05-26-2013, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

OK that looks cool - any idea price range?? The other device is going to be ~$1500

post #4 of 16 Old 05-26-2013, 03:40 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1327 Post(s)
Liked: 850
DVDO Quick6, MSRP $400:

http://www.dvdo.com/Quick6.aspx

That will get you PiP, but not "video tiling"... Is that what you're looking for?

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
NOTE: I am fixing photo links in my theater thread - if you find dead photo links elsewhere, please PM me and I will fix it.
post #5 of 16 Old 05-26-2013, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter

I'm looking for four sources onto a single display so DVDO can't help me unfortunately (though the price is much more what I'd like!)

I had never heard the expression 'video tiling' until today - thanks everyone for your help; I'm going to track down a video tiling solution and see if I can buy something locally or if I'll have to grab one of the original ones I found from Europe frown.gif

P.s. - If anyone actually *has* one of those Savant Video Tiling solutions in use and can post here that would be great; let us know how/if it works?

Many thanks!
post #6 of 16 Old 05-27-2013, 02:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked: 223
What is the application?

How large an image are you projecting?

How close are you looking to view from?

Remember you are throwing away a lot of resolution to get 4 x 1920x1080 sources on a single 1920x1080 pixel array!

Joe

Octava Inc. Multi-cast HD over LAN solutions.

Ruipro UK and EU Sales and Support

The Media Factory. Residential and Commercial system Design, Consultancy, Installation, Supply and Integration.
post #7 of 16 Old 05-27-2013, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter

Hey Joe I'm going for a video wall; it is a mix of computer & video sources - all 1080p

Display is actually two 1080p projectors side by side; main screen displayed as 1x1080p (one projector) and then the other one would use the video tiling to display multiple sources...

Display size is ~7ft x 4ft per projector.

What are your thoughts as to the best solution?

Give you are in Europe have you seen the EL-41PIP in action? I loved the iOS simplicity of the one recommended above but since it's all custom installers and seems to use Mac computers to drive it I'm betting it's a very expensive solution (though very very cool, drag & drop different video setup etc.)

Many thanks!
post #8 of 16 Old 05-28-2013, 12:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

In terms of Projectors we would be going with something along the lines of a Panasonic with Edge blending and multi projector control – http://panasonic.net/avc/projector/products/dz770/features3.html

For a multi viewer we have used Harris (formerly Zandar) – though your budget is likely going to be a problem, http://harrisbroadcast.com/productsandsolutions/multiviewers/default.asp

The CYP unit allied to a Matrix or a pile of Distribution Amps + a 4x1 Switch and a Control system looks like a cost effective solution.

Joe

The Media Factory. Residential and Commercial system Design, Consultancy, Installation, Supply and Integration.
post #9 of 16 Old 09-03-2013, 03:35 PM

Liked: 10
Did you get a chance to set this unit up? I am also looking for a multi screen hdmi unit. I want to watch 4 NFL games at the same time. I looked into the SmartView Tiling and that starts around $15,000 for the entry level unit. How was the CYP unit? Is it easy to change audio from one screen to the other?
post #10 of 16 Old 06-15-2014, 11:15 AM

Liked: 10
I am late to this party

But I am curious if it got set up, as I am also looking at same, for football as well--on 12 foot wide projection screen.

I am currently using Just Add Power (Japs) for Matrixing video throughout the house (which works very well) and was considering adding 4 more jap receivers to the inputs of one of these things, and 1 transmitter to the output. This would let me take any of the dozen or so sources I have and put it on any of the split screens.

In any event though I am curious how well this or similar systems have worked. I have seen what appears to be this exact same item marketed under various different names (not sure if I can put external links here, but I will try).

http://www.ambery.com/4hddvispqupi.html $1600

http://www.hdtvsupply.com/video-wall...9A4S5vZvTw_wcB $1500

http://www.kvmswitchtech.com/hdmi-qu...rol-p50271.htm $2200

The instruction manuals for all of them are the same, so I am pretty sure the product is the same. This is neither here nor there (except they are sold in the US), as I have no idea if it works, and how good the resolution or delay is.

As to the Savant tiling. I will look into that as well, but I have seen pricing pretty wide. From starting at 4K (in a third party "press release") which I MIGHT consider, to starting at 12-20K which I wouldn't consider. Plan on checking during the week, but since todays sunday I wanted to post without waiting.

edited content below:
Well I did a little more digging and found a Geffen Product that seems to do the same thing.
http://www.gefen.com/kvm/ext-hd-mvsl...?prod_id=14882

Sold at B&H as well as new egg for sub $1500. At least this product APPEARS to be their own (some slight design differences). I also found someone running some tests on YouTube so included that link as well.

Also as a Web Gui, which should prove helpful as well.

Assuming this is returnable, I may try to test it on some existing sources before buying the rest of the system.

Russell

Last edited by rosenblumr; 06-15-2014 at 12:39 PM. Reason: found more data
post #11 of 16 Old 07-18-2014, 01:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi guys,

I saw this thread today and figured someone here might know exactly what products are available for me. I have a 55 inch LCD television set that I use both for watching television and as my iMac computer monitor. My television is FIOS, so I have a set top box that supplies an HDMI cable for the television video, and I play the sound through a home theater system. The iMAC also provides its video signal through an HDMI cable to the LCD television set.

What I'd really like to do is purchase a home theater system that would accept both the FIOS and iMac HDMI signals as input and provide a single output to the LCD television with the FIOS signal on the background of the full screen and the iMac screen in a superimposed window in Picture-in-Picture format. Seems like an obvious application but for years I haven't been able to find a home theater system to do this. Any ideas? Thanks,

Rich
post #12 of 16 Old 07-18-2014, 02:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

' Seems like an obvious application but for years I haven't been able to find a home theatre system to do this. Any ideas?' - the New DVDO Quick6r is one of the very few 'affordable' options - http://www.dvdo.com/quick6r/index.aspx

The alternative is to use the iMac as the brains/brawn for processing and add a ‘live’ capture device on the Input side of the iMac (though capturing Copy Protected content via HDMI is tricky).

Joe

Last edited by Joe Fernand; 07-18-2014 at 02:09 PM. Reason: odd formatting when I cut and paste.
post #13 of 16 Old 12-11-2016, 11:21 AM

Any change in the world?

Two years on, surely this should be simple.

Projectors and gamers in every other house...I demand the world wakes up to this challenge

post #14 of 16 Old 12-11-2016, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron Taylor View Post
Two years on, surely this should be simple.

Projectors and gamers in every other house...I demand the world wakes up to this challenge

Could you chromecast, two devices to one screen?

How about team viewer?

Would these be resposive enough for gaming?
post #15 of 16 Old 09-11-2017, 12:30 PM

Skreens 4 In 1 Out HDMI

Skreens looks interesting. I believe they started out as a kickstarter targeting consumers, appears they are now targeting the integrator market. skreens dot com
post #16 of 16 Old 09-15-2017, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by previte View Post
Hi guys,

I saw this thread today and figured someone here might know exactly what products are available for me. I have a 55 inch LCD television set that I use both for watching television and as my iMac computer monitor. My television is FIOS, so I have a set top box that supplies an HDMI cable for the television video, and I play the sound through a home theater system. The iMAC also provides its video signal through an HDMI cable to the LCD television set.

What I'd really like to do is purchase a home theater system that would accept both the FIOS and iMac HDMI signals as input and provide a single output to the LCD television with the FIOS signal on the background of the full screen and the iMac screen in a superimposed window in Picture-in-Picture format. Seems like an obvious application but for years I haven't been able to find a home theater system to do this. Any ideas? Thanks,

Rich
I was in your shoes for a while last year and I almost pony up for the Skreens TV during its Kickstarter campaign but i couldn't bring myself to the $499.99 price and the wait time to get it. I've been using this hdmi 2 (input) x 1 (output) purchased from Amazon but shipped from China. It works great but max output is 1080p. It'll do exactly what you want and it has a remote which i think is inside the Harmony remote database but i haven't been able to add it. I have 2 of this as i watch multiple Premier League soccer matches in my 65" tv.

HDMI 2x1 Multi-Viewer Seamless Switch With PIP Function| Support Scaler UP&Down HDMI 1.3a Full HD 1080P | 4 Picture Mode | RS232 and Remote Control https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M8I6SKL..._Ua-UzbACVD8WF

Trust me - it'll be your best bet. It has split screen (with option to choose the audio source), PIP with 3 sizes plus you can swap what's in the PIP or what's the main source easily from the remote. It's $119 but definitely works for what i need.

Hope it helps.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page