Best Cable Cutter Tool (Coax & Ethernet) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 05-31-2013, 11:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking for some recommendations on the best tool to cut Coax and Ethernet cable. Also, the Ethernet cable I'm using is thick Cat6A (Belden 10GX line).

I currently own the following Klein cable cutter - http://www.amazon.com/Klein-J63050-Journeyman-High-Leverage-Cutter/dp/B00093GCK0

I've used it for a few cuts and it cuts easily, however it slightly compresses/squeezes the cut end of the cable. I'm not sure if this is normal or if there is a better tool for the job.

What do people in the fields use when cutting these types of cables all day long?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 05-31-2013, 11:34 PM

Liked: 32
Wrong tool for the job. Those Dykes are made to cut electrical cable, not stuff like Coax or Low Voltage wiring. Something like these work better http://www.idealindustries.com/prodDetail.do?prodId=35-053&div=2&l1=tools&l2=cutters&l3=35-053 or these http://www.idealindustries.com/prodDetail.do?prodId=45-074&div=2&l1=tools&l2=cutters&l3=45-074
post #3 of 15 Old 05-31-2013, 11:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 88
The Klein 63028 might work better for you for the coax than the 63050. Frankly, any generic hand tool is going to deform the cut end of the cable a bit.

If you are worried about cable performance, don't sweat it. Yeah, impedance is a factor of geometry as well as dielectric constant. But as soon as you put a connector on the coax, it is going to fix the geometry problem. And you have to untwist the pairs of the Category 6a cable a bit to terminate it anyway.
post #4 of 15 Old 06-01-2013, 02:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 79
When pulling the cables in my home, I use whatever is handy - often a lineman's pliers or diagonal cutter. I always cut the cable to the right length later, and as Colm said, adding the connector fixes the 'problem'. Pulling and trimming are often done on different days, for me.

If you're a pro, use expensive tools, and cut it to the right length once. Saves time and cable.

I use an EZRJ45 compression tool for category cable connectors which sacrifices about 2" of the cable end, eliminating the issue for cat cables. And yes, I'm aware it may introduce other issues, with the outside conductors.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #5 of 15 Old 06-01-2013, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks for the links, gregzoll. Unfortunately, it looks like the ratcheting cable cutter is out of my price range as it's over $200! However, the Data T-Cutter is affordable since it's under $20. Also, I found the following information from Ideal regarding the T-Cutter:
Quote:
Cutting of coaxial cable requires the use of a shearing type or rounded blade cable cutter, like the IDEAL Data T®-Cutter (45-074). Cut the coaxial cable to the proper length needed for your application. Note: Diagonals or side-cutters will deform the cable and may affect the performance. However, if your coaxial cable has a center conductor made of steel, it is recommended you use a diagonal cutter.

Colm, thanks for the link to the Klein Coax cutter as I didn't even know they had one marketed directly like this.
post #6 of 15 Old 06-01-2013, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 54
To hijack this thread, or take it to the next logical step.... what're the best tools to use for skinning the jacket on CAT5/6 to prep for installing the connectors?
post #7 of 15 Old 06-01-2013, 12:38 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
for coax there's nothing wrong with side cutters like these http://amzn.com/B00004SBDD since you'll be stripping the squashed dielectric off anyways. I use them for network cable too because you gotta snip off a little after you untwist or punch down. I know how giddy we can get from tools because tools are awesome. But you're not 'settling' by getting diagonal cutters, you're actually getting a good tool. And there are strippers that do category cable but otherwise you can just nick the end of the jacket and peel it back
post #8 of 15 Old 06-01-2013, 01:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I use the Paladin KT8 for coax. The cutting edges are keener than on dykes, so less deformation. They have concave cutting jaws that are approximately the same radius as coax. However, there is still some deformation, just less than with dykes. You can squish the dielectric back into shape with a pair of pliers, though.
post #9 of 15 Old 06-01-2013, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
As Colm wrote, you're cutting off the end of the cable anyway. What you use to cut it makes absolutely no difference in the post-termination performance of the cable.

CIAO!

Ed N.
post #10 of 15 Old 06-01-2013, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

VDV120-006_ICON_1.JPG?itok=SPKurU7H

I use this Klein radial stripper for cat cable jackets. In this pic, top left, small blade sticking up, within the rectangular notch, works well, no need for radial function.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #11 of 15 Old 06-01-2013, 06:44 PM

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post

VDV120-006_ICON_1.JPG?itok=SPKurU7H

I use this Klein radial stripper for cat cable jackets. In this pic, top left, small blade sticking up, within the rectangular notch, works well, no need for radial function.
Same as any other company that makes that unit, they just change the name on the item, but same Chinese company makes them.
post #12 of 15 Old 06-01-2013, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm honestly unsure if mine is Klein or not, but it looks like that one. I did a GIS of yellow category cable jacket stripper, and I found the link to that Klein one.

That notched cutter works very well for category cable jackets. You just need to score the jacket a little bit, and then bend the cable back and forth a little at the score.

There is a neat trick I've seen on YouTube to use the separated jacket piece to help separate the twisted pairs.

post #13 of 15 Old 06-02-2013, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Something like this?
http://www.amazon.com/Klein-Tools-VDV100-801-SEN-Dual-Cartridge-Stripper

Seems like it'd be handy to be able to strip both coax and twisted pair with just one tool. I've got both the cans in the wiring closet AND the wall plates to deal with. One less tool to carry or dig out of the tool belt.

I've got some other brand coax stripper and it works but it's not so amazing as to rave about it.
post #14 of 15 Old 06-02-2013, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post

One less tool to carry or dig out of the tool belt.

Always have it with me.
post #15 of 15 Old 06-02-2013, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Is each cartridge adjustable, e.g. can 1 handle RG6 and RG6QS? I know it's not an issue for you, as you most probably have a single type.

Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page