Please help with legacy audio distribution system - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 06-02-2013, 06:12 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just moved into a new house that was built about 10 years ago and had a Sonancy whole house audio distribution system in it. Here's what I can tell:

A. The system has 3 sets of 4 wires (Red, Black, Green, White) home run to a panel.
B At the panel, there is a Sonance AVCDWP2. This unit accetps an input of a pre-amp level source and a power supply (24vdc).
C. There are at least 5 separate volume controls/amps (Sonance AVC 100r) to 5 different rooms. Some rooms have 2 pairs of speakers.

To my knowledge, these components are no longer available new, having been discontinued years ago. Fortunately, I found manuals on the Sonance site.

This system works... sort of. The volume controls appear to be at the end of their lives, as the sound will come out of one channel or will not come out at all. Turning the volume on one control does nothing, while on others it seems to work but the sound is sometimes intermittant. Thus, I'd like to fix it or change it out.

My understanding of this system is that:
1. The AVCDWP2 (B) sends a R/L signal on Green and White, plus 24 Vdc and ground on Red and Black to the volume controls (C), which also serve as amplifiers.
2. The system appears to be a mix of parallel (home run) and series (daisy chain) wiring. This appears to be to spec of the original system components. Specifically, the signal and power runs to one volume control/amplifier, gets amplified and sent to the speakers AND there is a pass-through to send the signal and power on to another volume control/amplifier. Hence, there are three feeds and more than three volume controls/amplifiers.

My problem is that I want to replace/fix the system. I would just replace the volume controls and add a multi-channel amp, since I have 2 pairs to each volume control. The problem is item B: the daisy-chained signal. Also, being an existing home, I'd like to not open up the walls and ceilings to run new speaker wire.

So, my questions are:
1. Is there a new/available set of components that use the same setup (not necessarily by Sonance)? Specifically, are there systems that send signal and power down 4 wires to in-wall combo volume control/amplifiers that can work as parallel and in series?
2. Assuming no to 1 (I couldn't find any, but wasn't sure if I was searching well), does the daisy-chaining present a problem if I want to change out the volume controls to plain old volume controls and use a single amp + speaker selection box (or a multi-channel amp to power the three feeds that I have at the box)? It seems to me that it would as it would present a very low impedence to the amplifier because of the daisy-chaining that goes on at some point in the system. Perhaps a speaker selection box would prevent that?

Thanks in advance for any help!

As a side note, I joined here 12 years ago when building my own home theater and setting up a whole house sound system in a new house. I'm three houses removed and happy to be back after a few years' absence.

-Jason
Theater L'Idiot RIP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 06-02-2013, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 354
Look at Nexus Audio for a keypad-control system that can utilize the speaker wires without a separate control wire. These are a traditional centralized amp setup with keypads.

http://www.nexusaudiosystems.com/

Daisy-chained locations is going to be a problem for any modern system. If you can intercept the wiring and splice in home runs to the other room(s), that is going to be your best bet.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page