Forum Jump: 

Old 06-03-2013, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I need some help with the following setup:

Floor Plan.pdf 452k .pdf file

I've attached a layout of my floor plan to add context.

I'm planning on putting a Panny AR100u in my family room (19x15). I will have a PS3 and cable box hooked up to my receiver via HDMI, but getting HDMI to the projector from the receiver is going to be a problem. The receiver will be on the wall next to the back porch, while the projector will be on the wall next to the master suite. I have tile floors, so going underneath the floor is not an option. I can't run a cable along the perimeter of the room because there is a fireplace in the way. I really only have 2 options that I can see:

1) Ceiling height is 19'. I would need a really long HDMI cable that runs from the receiver up the wall through the ceiling and down another wall to the projector.

2) Use wireless HDMI from the receiver to the projector.

I don't have any experience with running long HDMI cables or wireless HDMI. I'm worried that either option with reduce the quality of audio and video.

Which option will work best? Do I have any other options to make this setup work?

I could also move the projector to the game room (14x18, 9' ceilings) upstairs, but prefer to try and make the family room work.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Floor Plan.pdf (452.2 KB, 3 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2013, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 380
You can use HD-Base-T Ethernet extenders which allows you to run much smaller cat-5e (preferably Cat-6) cabling through the walls/ceiling. If your fireplace is not fully framed out to the sides with brick, then it may be possible to go behind the gas fireplace without any problems at all, but if going to the ceiling is required, then this solution will work fine for you as well. As long as the distance is under a couple hundred feet you should have almost no headaches at all... But, I would pull 2 cables just to be safe.

Wireless MAY work, but it always seems to be hit-or-miss. You certainly could try wireless and see how it works for you. It's by far the easiest way to go since no walls would need to be opened up.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post

You can use HD-Base-T Ethernet extenders which allows you to run much smaller cat-5e (preferably Cat-6) cabling through the walls/ceiling. If your fireplace is not fully framed out to the sides with brick, then it may be possible to go behind the gas fireplace without any problems at all, but if going to the ceiling is required, then this solution will work fine for you as well. As long as the distance is under a couple hundred feet you should have almost no headaches at all... But, I would pull 2 cables just to be safe.

Wireless MAY work, but it always seems to be hit-or-miss. You certainly could try wireless and see how it works for you. It's by far the easiest way to go since no walls would need to be opened up.

I appreciate the response.

I may try to go wireless but the reviews are not pretty. The best I've seen is IOGear, but even those reviews are very mixed.

Running cables through the ceiling shouldn't be an issue. I was just concerned about quality of signal at that distance.

I've read to use Cat-6 over Cat-5. Are there any brands you would recommend for Cat-6, HDMI and extender?
Old 06-03-2013, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 380
I've used generic cat-5 @ 300 feet through multiple couplers and tested it for 8 hours straight at 1080p with Monoprice HD-Base-T extenders...
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011012&p_id=8122&seq=1&format=2

They work well, and there are cables there for HDMI and cat-6 if you need them. Great quality at a reasonable price. Their pre-terminated cat-6 is great, but if you want things a custom length and terminated to wall plates, then buy it in bulk and punch down the wire at the walls.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.