Multiple Sonos Connect Amps or Multiple Connects and one multi-channel amps? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 06-10-2013, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I posted a similar question to different forum but I think this is best spot to ask my questions. I am wiring my hour for 6 pairs of speakers. I intend to "view" the speakers as three separate zones: master bdroom / bath (2pairs); great room/dining/kitchen (3 pairs); and outdoor deck. I am planning on installing Sonos for their interface and handheld remote options. I've identified two options and wanted to get feedback on them or hear of any other ideas.

Option 1: install 4 Sonos connect amps to power the 6 pair of speakers. One for the master bdrm/ bath; 2 for the great room/ dining/kitchen; one for deck.

Option 2: install a multi-channel amp like NIles SI 1230 and connect 3 Sonos Connects for each of the three zones.

While I will never listen to separate selections across the three zones at the same time, I was thinking the Sonos controls would allow me to turn on/off or up/down the volume depending on which zone I am in.

Which option seems most logical? Which produces highest quality?

Thx for any input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-10-2013, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 359
Quality will be the same, or at least, any differences will be dwarfed by speaker selection and placement.

With six zones and only the (for now) desire to control volume/on/off individually from a single source, an HTD whole house audio system (or others) would give you individual room control from keypads, or from an app - although it would be separate from the Sonos app... Then you could hook one or two Sonos Connect units as sources, as well as anything else. The cost would be the the same ballpark as 3-4 Sonos units.

Regardless of your choice, wire your house for any WHA system by adding keypad wiring (cat5e) in any room you'll have, or may ever want, speakers. Same for speaker wire. Wire is cheap.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 Old 06-11-2013, 06:24 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Jeff. I hear you on the location and speaker selection. I take it the difference in power (watts) isn't critical.

I think I am going to go with a Niles SI-1230 and then 3 connects. I can then have three pairs use the main input and then connect the other two Connects as inputs for the 2nd and 3rd zones. I like the Sonos App and will use that to control the source inputs, for now. But then have greater flexibility down the road. Thanks,

Scott
post #4 of 4 Old 06-11-2013, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

The Niles does fit your speakers very well being that it will power bridge 6 independent sets at 80watts.

3 Connects into the Niles then should work great. I would only say go with the individual connect amps if your wires weren't all coming into the same location. But if all the wires are in one place the Niles method seems like it would give you the best sound quality since each speaker then will be driven on its own.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page