Volume Control - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 06-10-2013, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have HK 7.1 receiver. I use the rear channels to run the multi room function so I can have sound on my patio. The wires run from the unit to a simple dial rheostat by the door leading to the patio. The wires to the speaker also run to the rheostat, so this is my volume control. What I am looking for is a new volume control. The rheostat works fine, but I would like something a little more up to date, withour breaking the bank. Something digital and modern. I did use google, but have not seen anything that I "think" would work for under 100 dollars.

Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-10-2013, 11:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 47
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10903&cs_id=1090301&p_id=8243&seq=1&format=2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old 06-11-2013, 06:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks, that is what I have now.
post #4 of 8 Old 06-11-2013, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 357
Do you have any wiring to that volume control location besides speaker wire? If not, your choices are limited. The only keypad-based system currently available to add functionality are the systems from Nexus Audio:

http://www.nexusaudiosystems.com/

Other than that, your only other option I know of is the slider control (Monoprice also has these, same price as the rotary), which at least looks different from the knob.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:

post #5 of 8 Old 06-11-2013, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Not sure what you are hoping $100 will buy you. It's enough for a cheap universal remote, but that's about it. A custom wireless remote volume control solution of some type is not out there that I'm aware of at anything like a reasonable price, and if it is out there (like the Nexus), I would expect it to be fairly expensive for the keypads, and also require a specific device at the head end of the system.

- Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #6 of 8 Old 06-11-2013, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 79
I like the look of the slider.

Do a Google image search of "in wall" volume control. Most rotary, some sliders, some digital.

Decora slider might be the ticket, with a screwless Lutron (or OnQ) wall plate.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #7 of 8 Old 06-11-2013, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 47
In my experience, slider volume controls wear out much faster than rotary ones. Just fyi.

post #8 of 8 Old 06-13-2013, 08:32 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpp777 View Post

Thanks, that is what I have now.

I would argue that the Monoprice volume control knob is up to date. With the wireless connectivity of AVR's you can control many functions with the available phone/tablet apps (including volume) and use the volume knob to adjust just that particular room's volume. Zone 1 functionality with the phone/table app is robust while of course AVR's do no processing or much of anything in Zone 2 and so you generally can control volume in zone 2, source, and song skip, rewind, fast forward and not much else. Zone 3 then is even more restrictive since volume is fixed and you are forced to have a volume control knob since that is the only way to control volume from the zone. Some AVR's limit zone 2 with no volume control so even less functionality. If you want digital and modern, keep a dedicated ipod mounted to the wall but removable next to the volume button. A knock off Android tablet is even cheaper. You get a lot of control and even get the album art displaying on the screen. Going to a Sonos type system and the world opens up even more and so does your wallet.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page