getting my Cat5 up and running in my house - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-11-2013, 03:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys, I'll start by saying I am the typical DIY'er with not a whole lot of particular experience with this area. My house has Cat5E ports throughout most rooms and it all runs to the box in my basement. These ports are all cold. I usually keep my modem upstairs in my living room so the switch that is in the box is also cold. I thought that by moving the modem down and running the WAN to the switch, then plugging in what i thought was the patch cable for the patch panel to the switch, that this would activate my Ports. to no success. I took some pictures to show you guys the basic setup. I could really use some help because this would be a great fathers day gift to have it running.

Some Notes- I checked my closest port to the basement to make sure that the wires running to it were pink, not grey.
I did not run the wiring, the contractors who built the house did- Its possible its wrong?
I may not be plugging in the write connection to my gateway

There is a grey cable in photos 1 and 4, that cable is connected somewhere on the patch panel on the keystones. the other end of that cable is a connection for the gateway.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2013, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 81
That Leviton 4-port 'Internet Gateway' is a switch. Is it plugged in? Some lights should be on.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
Old 06-11-2013, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 377
So, the left side of that Leviton box, with the pink wires, all appear to be telephone related.

The right side of the box, the one with the grey wires, are all your Ethernet (network) connections to the rest of your home.

You should have lights on the switch down there, so check that out - at least the 'power' light should be on.

So, you have your modem in your office and you are running one cat-5 wire to your basement to feed the rest of the house?

That is fine, I'm just trying to understand if that's what you are doing.

There is no reason to run the WAN to the switch.

Typically:
Cable Modem (Fios, Comcast, Cox, etc.) -> LAN Port out to Network Switch -> To all rooms/devices as necessary

Most modern cable modems have several ports on them, but some do not... In fact, some have a built in router, and some do not.

So - I guess this is more of a networking question, so let's start there.

What kind of Modem are you using? Can you take photos of that one piece of hardware?

If it is a modem and does not have an internal router, then you will need to purchase a router so that your computers in your home can receive IP addresses and you can add that switch to your system.

This photo kind of shows what a setup would be... Instead of a network camera, you would have multiple PCs sitting at the end of your network switch, but the concept is the same.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 89
As already mentioned, the pink Cat 5e cable in each bundle is for telephone. The gray one is for network. If the gray one is not terminated at the destination, you will have to properly install a Cat 5e jack. You might want to buzz out the cables to figure out which one goes where if they are not labelled.

To make this work, you need to run patch cables from the patch panel on the right where the network cables are terminated to a switch. That can be to the LAN ports of your modem if it has a built-in switch. Otherwise run them to the LAN ports of the Leviton Internet Gateway in the panel, connect the output of the modem to the WAN port, and make sure it has power. Besides being a switch, the Leviton Internet Gateway is also a router and DHCP server. That will enable you to connect 4 locations in the house. If you want more, you will need a router with more ports or another switch to cascade with the Leviton Internet Gateway. All that is left is connecting the modem to the outside world. What kind of service do you have, and what are the make and model of the modem?
Old 06-11-2013, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 377
I'm thinking that all his multi-media ports in the house have a terminated network jack at them right next to the phone jack. The work inside the panel looks to be pretty clean and well done, which just leads me to make a guess on that, so I'm not positive, but I have high expectations that his house is all set to go for the networking, he just needs to get the front end hardware in place for all of this to work right, and it should be pretty darn easy to take care of. Don't you think?

Modem with integrated router ...
... or ...
Modem without integrated router -> router -> network connections (probably through a much larger switch!)

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.

Tags
Cat5 Rack 1u