Can Monoprice Matrix HDMI Switch simultaneously connect with both 1080i and 1080p sinks? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-12-2013, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Panasonic Viera TC-P65ST60 1080p display, and a Panasonic SA-XR57 A/V receiver. The XR57, being 6-7 years old, is only capable of passing through 1080i, so for that reason I don't want to use it as a pass-through HDMI device between my HDMI sources and my Panasonic 1080p display (because it would limit me to 1080i source output).

Instead, I would like to use the Monoprice 4x2 True Matrix HDMI Switch to simultaneously output an HDMI signal (output A) carrying 1080p video to the Viera P65ST60 display, and another HDMI signal (output B) to the XR57 for audio processing. Has anyone tried this? Will this work? Or will the XR57 still force 1080i as the lowest common denominator even though it's not processing video?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2013, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 379
Hmmm - hard to say, as since the AVR doesn't "have" any video capabilities as a sink (with nothing attached to its output), it might work.

But why bother? Just run digital audio from your source(s) to the AVR, as there's no benefit to HDMI-supplied audio in your setup, as that AVR is limited to the DTS/DD support that's available over SPDIF anyway... You'd be doing separate audio/video switching with your remote anyway, so there's nothing gained there, either.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
Old 06-12-2013, 11:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
What Jeff said. There is zero benefit of using the HDMI to feed audio into that receiver.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:23 AM - Thread Starter

Zero benefit? Well, not quite. The HDMI switch still gives me the benefit of combined audio+video switching. If I used SPDIF audio I'd have to buy a separate digital audio switch and control 2 switches every time I wanted to change the source. Also, even though the XR57 doesn't support compressed audio formats beyond DD and DTS, it does support multi-channel PCM and 24-bit audio which I can only get over HDMI.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zambelli View Post

Zero benefit? Well, not quite. The HDMI switch still gives me the benefit of combined audio+video switching. If I used SPDIF audio I'd have to buy a separate digital audio switch and control 2 switches every time I wanted to change the source.

The XR57 has multiple digital audio inputs, correct? There's your audio switch. You don't mention how many and what sources you're using. You may not even notice the 1080i limitation if your display does a good job.
Quote:
Also, even though the XR57 doesn't support compressed audio formats beyond DD and DTS, it does support multi-channel PCM and 24-bit audio which I can only get over HDMI.

What content are you getting to use those formats? Concert BDs? More than 2-channel PCM is rare these days.

Your best bet will be an upgraded AVR, even one that is a few years old, that would have the newer audio codecs on board. i picked up a Denon unit last year for around $120 by watching SlickDeals...

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Old 06-13-2013, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

The XR57 has multiple digital audio inputs, correct? There's your audio switch. You don't mention how many and what sources you're using. You may not even notice the 1080i limitation if your display does a good job.
What content are you getting to use those formats? Concert BDs? More than 2-channel PCM is rare these days.

I have 3 sources at the moment: a Samsung BD player, an HTPC, and a HD-DVD player. 1080i output is fine for the latter two, but 1080p is definitely a must for the BD player due to 24 Hz, 60p and 3D support.

I do own quite a few 5.1 sound and high fidelity albums so I need to be able to send 24-bit audio, 96 kHz audio and even multichannel PCM to my receiver when needed.
Quote:
Your best bet will be an upgraded AVR, even one that is a few years old, that would have the newer audio codecs on board. i picked up a Denon unit last year for around $120 by watching SlickDeals...

Isn't there some sort of device out there that could just take the HDMI signal headed to the AVR, strip out the video stream and replace it with a dummy 1080i stream before it hits the AVR? All I really need to do in order to solve my problem is fake my AVR into thinking I'm sending it 1080i video it can handle. Something like:
Code:
.                                           ----1080p/audio----> TV (ignores audio)
                                           /
BD player  --->  4x2 Matrix HDMI Switch --<
                                           \----1080p/audio----> MysteryDevice ---1080i/audio--->  AVR (ignores video)
It's 2013 and we still haven't solved this problem? smile.gif
Old 06-13-2013, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 64
There are devices which can pass a 3D signal to your 3D Display plus replace the 3D video with a dummy ‘blank’ 2D signal on a second HDMI Output so that your non-3D capable AVR can decode the HDMI audio - trouble is they cost just as much as an entry level 3D capable AVR.

Joe

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/Octavainc

Old 06-13-2013, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zambelli View Post

It's 2013 and we still haven't solved this problem? smile.gif

As Joe said, yes it's been solved. But the mainstream solution is any-recent-vintage-AVR... Doing that work externally is a very specialized product with low volume / high price. A new, even inexpensive, AVR is also likely to have a lot of other additional features you may value. The $120 HDMI Detective to solve this externally would be much better spent toward an AVR.

Old 06-13-2013, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 378
You can also get Blu-ray players like the Oppo which provide dual HDMI outputs... One specifically to deliver video to your display, and one to deliver audio to your receiver.

But, once again, it's cheaper to just buy a receiver which handles all of this for you.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:34 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions, guys!