Belden Cat 6 Cable for whole house wiring - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 06-14-2013, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I need to wire my whole house from 1st to 3rd floor. My local company has the Belden 7881A. Specs are here: http://www.belden.com/techdatas/metric/7881A.pdf. It is 24AWG, solid, CMR. The only thing I am concerned is that it is up to 250 MHz. Should I buy some no-name from monoprice with 550MHZ, or go with Belden?

Also, the Belden spec says the cable is discontinued and replaced by 2412. I am not whether I need to be concerned about that. The price is not an issue for me.

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-14-2013, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 46
If price isn't an issue, than go with a cable that you're comfortable with using.

It looks like the Belden 2412 is rated at 550MHz.
post #3 of 11 Old 06-14-2013, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 88
I would go with Belden 7881A over generic Chinese cable from monoprice any day. The fact that it is discontinued is irrelevant.
post #4 of 11 Old 06-14-2013, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Why?
post #5 of 11 Old 06-14-2013, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifor View Post

If price isn't an issue, than go with a cable that you're comfortable with using.

It looks like the Belden 2412 is rated at 550MHz.

Where did you see Belden 2412 is rated at 550MHZ? Do you think it is a good one for home internet wire?
post #6 of 11 Old 06-14-2013, 11:06 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
He may be referring to CAT6a type cabling, which has a MHz rating up to 500. Id say go with the CAT6 (250MHz) cabling; unless you're running items that need 10GBe links, you'll see no added benefit of using CAT6a over CAT6.
post #7 of 11 Old 06-14-2013, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

post #8 of 11 Old 06-14-2013, 11:14 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13

Looks like that's the CAT6a variant; as it's listed as "enhanced". Similar to the difference between CAT5 and CAT5e; CAT5e is an "enhanced" version of CAT5.
post #9 of 11 Old 06-14-2013, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifor View Post

Why?
Because you can count on Belden to have better control over manufacturing tolerances than the typical Chinese company. It all comes down to control of the geometry, which affects the impedance, which affects the performance. Will the OP notice the difference in performance? Probably not unless he has long runs. But if he has a local source and price is not an issue, it is a no-brainer to me. Think of it as the difference between Craftsman hand tools and Harbor Freight if you like.

FWIW I would usually recommend that OP go down to his local big box home improvement and buy whatever is there. It is cheap, readily available, and generally fine unless you are building a data center.
post #10 of 11 Old 06-14-2013, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colm View Post

Because you can count on Belden to have better control over manufacturing tolerances than the typical Chinese company. It all comes down to control of the geometry, which affects the impedance, which affects the performance. Will the OP notice the difference in performance? Probably not unless he has long runs. But if he has a local source and price is not an issue, it is a no-brainer to me. Think of it as the difference between Craftsman hand tools and Harbor Freight if you like.

FWIW I would usually recommend that OP go down to his local big box home improvement and buy whatever is there. It is cheap, readily available, and generally fine unless you are building a data center.

Thank you all! After calling around for over an hour, I found a local store that carries Belden 2412009A1000 at a super low price (almost the same price as monoprice's Chinese cables). The cables will arrive on Wednesday!
post #11 of 11 Old 06-16-2013, 11:37 PM

7881 (and 7882) were discontinued and consolidated with part numbers 2412 (and 2413) following a factory acquisition. The 2412 & 2413 were previously 'CDT' part numbers and had more market recognition so they were kept. (Short & sweet, the fact that the former numbers were discontinued is irrelevant as mentioned above.)

The cheapest from China are being found to often have copper-clad-aluminum conductors and counterfeit UL labels and to be non-compliant in multiple aspects, The UL website has multiple posts warning about such findings. Stick with reputable known manufacturers.

Cat 6 standard is 250MHz and systems operate at that frequency and lower. Yes, the 2412 is 550MHz . Most manufacturers carry premium model numbers that are quality checked up to higher frequencies than 250MHz because such tells us the cable is even better than the minimum required, is more durable (has more headroom -- to absorb some abuse and still perform to spec.) and/or otherwise just provides a margin-of-error / safety factor. SOME (but not all) 500MHz / 550MHz cables may have extra tape and/or "spline" inside that may make them more of a pain to put the connector onto. For residential use - a 250MHz rated cable will be absolutely fine if it's from a reputable manufacture. "Headroom" 500MHz / 550MHz cables are more for data-center use.

Cat 6A is a wholly different cable standard with higher bandwidth (lower cross-talk / lower noise rejection requirements) than Cat 6 -- and a higher frequency (625MHz) quality check required not optional. Belden spec 10GX12 is one of their model numbers for Cat 6A (has such a "spline as mentioned above / is a greater pain to connectorize.and very likely requires a special custom connector) -- and Belden has premium model numbers above 10GX12 as well, some with shields and therefore requiring connectors that are designed for shielded Category Cable.

Source (in part) Public Cable 1.0 -- a book on Amazon -- has simplified but detailed cable specifications for Category cable and more than 80 other low-voltage communication cable styles from the simplest constructions suitable for speaker cable -- on up; and lists up to four (all domestic) manufacturers and their equivalent part numbers. A great resource for anyone specifying communication cables / audio, video, speaker, or control cable styles; or for anyone looking to cross one manufacturer's part number to others.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page