Noob setting up WHA - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-20-2013, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just bought a new construction that has 6 speakers pre-wired through the house, one per room. I plan on setting up HT in the family room. I want to setup the system in a way where I can play music through the 6 in room speakers and be able to watch TV with sound coming from the HT speakers. I also want the ability to turn off one of the 6 in room speakers or turn them all on at once for music.

From the research i've done. I know I need the following

- Multizone receiver with zone 2 power.
- remote that can handle RF/IR.

What I am currently stuck on is, what kind of amplifier/speaker selector I need? Is it ok to use speaker selector such as the Niles SSVC-6? I am hesitant on using this because the in room speakers are mono and would not have the Right Left Pair for each selector.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2013, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 388
Yes, the Niles would be fine. Have you checked the wiring to verify they only ran mono? Do you have six speaker wires showing up at the other end?

As long as the speaker wires were home-run (not set up as a 70V system), any of the selectors will be fine - you're just not using half of the circuitry...

An inexpensive amplifier with signal sensing (automatic on/off), like the AudioSource AMP-100 or a Dayton model, would work fine.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
Old 06-25-2013, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for your response. I was able to locate the wires and indeed there are 12.